Speculation: Top-4 Defender

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I want Bortuzzo to get his shot, too, but I just don't know if he's ideal for the Letang pairing (because Letang would have to play the left side full time. Not saying he can't do it, and it might work, but it comes with a bit of risk).

Is there a reason Bortuzzo couldn't play the left side, or are you just making that assumption based on nothing? You know, because they are both right handed shots, I'd prefer to keep the Norris candidate defenseman in the spot he's most familiar with, but that's just crazy old me.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm not sold on Gunnarsson at all. He's another jack of all trades type defenseman. He'd become a whipping boy pretty fast here, I think.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm not sold on Gunnarsson at all. He's another jack of all trades type defenseman. He'd become a whipping boy pretty fast here, I think.

Gunner is bad in a bad type way.

Not sure why anyone would want him on the Pens.

G'Damn that's funny though (reading what people say he is like and knowing reality).

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Gunner is bad in a bad type way.

Not sure why anyone would want him on the Pens.

G'Damn that's funny though (reading what people say he is like and knowing reality).

I'm glad someone else feels like this, I was starting to think I might be crazy or something. :laugh:

I think he gets the benefit of having Leafs fans acting as his PR team, because he's looks good to them by the virtue of being competent at a bunch of stuff. I can't say I blame them, I got excited about some pretty cruddy players when the Pens were awful.

If he went to a team where just being OK wasn't all that people wanted, he'd be a lot less highly regarded.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm glad someone else feels like this, I was starting to think I might be crazy or something. :laugh:

I think he gets the benefit of having Leafs fans acting as his PR team, because he's looks good to them by the virtue of being competent at a bunch of stuff. I can't say I blame them, I got excited about some pretty cruddy players when the Pens were awful.

If he went to a team where just being OK wasn't all that people wanted, he'd be a lot less highly regarded.

Weird... All the Leafs fans I know think he is junk. He is... Pretty bad. I see 60+ Leafs games a year with my wife being a huge fan, so I'm pretty comfortable with what my eyes see.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Weird... All the Leafs fans I know think he is junk. He is... Pretty bad. I see 60+ Leafs games a year with my wife being a huge fan, so I'm pretty comfortable with what my eyes see.

All I know is, a Pens fan suggested trading Orpik for him on the trade board, I responded by saying Gunnarsson was closer to Niskanen than a top pairing defender and I called him average, that was an act of war for Leafs Nation, I guess.

I've seen a lot of them calling him a first pairing defenseman, not just on the Leafs, but in the league as a whole.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I dunno... I've watched a lot of Leaf games (about the only other team I watch than the Pens), and have always been impressed with him. Give him another partner than Dion who's defensively challenged, and I think he'd be fine.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
All I know is, a Pens fan suggested trading Orpik for him on the trade board, I responded by saying Gunnarsson was closer to Niskanen than a top pairing defender and I called him average, that was an act of war for Leafs Nation, I guess.

I've seen a lot of them calling him a first pairing defenseman, not just on the Leafs, but in the league as a whole.

I wouldn't trade Orpik for him... only because Orpik brings a physicality that we otherwise lack. But Gunnar is a guy who can play 20min+ a night.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Oh... the trade board, where common sense goes to die... Sort of like Letang wouldn't be enough to fetch Eberle.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't trade Orpik for him... only because Orpik brings a physicality that we otherwise lack. But Gunnar is a guy who can play 20min+ a night.

Maybe in a pinch, like Niskanen. He's not an ideal guy to be logging those types of minutes, in my opinion.

Geno Machino

Jan 6, 2013
[/QUOTE]

Cute! But I very Rarely drink ! But go on with your Strait Love affair he won't make the Pens

CAREER POTENTIAL: Steady depth defenseman with a little upside.

[URL="http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.cgi?5735"]http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.cgi?5735[/URL]

But continue deluding yourself

Last edited:

Geno Machino

Jan 6, 2013
That settles it then.

Brian is going to be really disappointed you decided he isn't going to ever play for the big club.

didn't say he would NEVER play for them I just said he isn't a Shutdown D Man ! But continue on your magic Carpet ride

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What do you think of inviting Paul Ranger to camp? He'd be good as a 5th or 6th Defensemen.

What can he do that one of: Strait, Bort, Dumoulin, Despres, Harrington, Maatta, Pouliot, Morrow, can't?

Yes 3-4 still need some time before getting a chance... but Strait and Bort are young NHL ready D. Despres can play now, and showed that last year. Dumoulin is looking very very good in the A right now, and could almost certainly play now. The rest likely need 2-4 years before they'll be ready.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Not at this point in time genius !! keep on smokin those Joints

Usually people who want to make an intelligent point, don't leave things open for interpretation.

Let's see a quick example:

"He won't make the Pens"

"He won't make the Pens at this point"

Slight difference between the two statements. I know those last few words would of been difficult to type out and all...

Just because you think it in your head, doesn't mean others know wtf you mean.

And uh, Strait is waiver eligible and one of the best blueliners in the A. So if he doesn't make the team now, he will be claimed.

So exactly when did you think he was making the team?

Geno Machino

Jan 6, 2013
You should have seen Rob Scuderi's scouting profile on there when he was with the Pens.

Geno Machino continues to be my favorite poster

Yep because one nobody became a somebody It will happen with all of them:laugh:

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Cute! But I very Rarely drink ! But go on with your Strait Love affair he won't make the Pens

CAREER POTENTIAL: Steady depth defenseman with a little upside.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.cgi?5735

But continue deluding yourself

ASSETS: Keeps the game simple and limits his mistakes in the defensive zone. Is quite reliable. Can play a shutdown role, too.

:huh:

Anyway, forecaster is a good resource for finding out the type of game someone plays, but it's far from the be all end all of player analysis.

They had Nick Boynton's upside listed as "franchise defenseman" when he was struggling to find a job as a #6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad