Speculation: Top-4 Defender

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
You overrate McQuaid big time. Or you are more familiar with his stats than his game, role and place with Boston. And enough with the capitalization as substitute for argument, please.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And what about the mean nasty edge and shot blocking?

I would like to have either of those guys as a 7 option and fill in, but there is no way in hell you can't tell me McQuid isn't leaps and bounds better than those two.

McQuaid isn't leaps and bounds better than either Strait or Bortuzzo. Certainly not enough to give up assets to acquire him.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
aside from being 6'4" I think Bortuzzo and Strait could fill the basic stay at home defensive d-man role.

Robert Bortuzzo is 6'4", does have a bit of a nasty side at times, blocks shots, uses his size well and clears the crease, and has decent wheels. I really wish he wouldn't have been injured the past couple of seasons when the Pens needed d-men due to their own injury problems, because I think he would have fit in just as well as Engelland has with room to grow into a better player than Engelland currently is.

Bortuzzo IS that big bodied, solid in his own end, tough to play against defender everybody is looking for. Nobody wants to give him a chance to prove himself though since he's a rookie and we can't play rookies and win the cup.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Pairing him with a guy like Martin or Letang I think would do wonders for the defense. He will always be back there to cover their mistakes and he is a BIG mean dude to knock people on their ass in front of MAF or punch-a-size their face if they start taking liberties.

They only guy who is even remotely in the mold is Engelland and McQuaid is a hell of a lot better than him.

Orpik Letang
Martin McQuaid
Nisk Engelland
Strait / Bort

That to me a decent balance of PMD and D-Dmen with some grit & bite.

^ I just don't see top 4 D in Adam McQuaid. I think he'd be in over his head in that role but I've only watched him sporadically. A Bruins fan may better be able to say what his likely ceiling is.

Doesn't happen. If McQuaid is in, Engelland is out. Their too similar. And neither is really capable of playing 20 mins a night. McQuaid's never averaged more than 15min a game in Boston. He's really not that much better than Engelland. Younger, bigger and a tad meaner (but I believe he fights less). Perhaps he could grow into his game like Engelland has. But I don't really ever see him being a 20min guy.

Where are we getting this idea that Martin is an offensive D? He's NOT. He's a PMD who excels in a trap/defensive role. And he really needs to play with someone with some size to deal with big forwards. We saw him excel 2 years ago when Sid and Geno were out, and DB played a trap. Then he and Michalek stunk it up when they were asked to play a more up tempo game.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Doesn't happen. If McQuaid is in, Engelland is out. Their too similar. And neither is really capable of playing 20 mins a night. McQuaid's never averaged more than 15min a game in Boston. He's really not that much better than Engelland. Younger, bigger and a tad meaner (but I believe he fights less). Perhaps he could grow into his game like Engelland has. But I don't really ever see him being a 20min guy.

Where are we getting this idea that Martin is an offensive D? He's NOT. He's a PMD who excels in a trap/defensive role. And he really needs to play with someone with some size to deal with big forwards. We saw him excel 2 years ago when Sid and Geno were out, and DB played a trap. Then he and Michalek stunk it up when they were asked to play a more up tempo game.

I wish someone would tell Martin this. I think he gets in trouble trying to do too much out there. He's good when he plays a simple conservative defensive game like he did in Jersey but I think he may have bought into all the people telling him that trapping system held him back offensively and once the shackles came off in our system his career took a turn for the worse.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If we're looking for a solid 2nd pairing big defensive type (no clue on whether they would be available), I'd be looking at one of the following:

Hejda
M Greene
Tallinder
Gorges
M Stuart
Allen (I assume we would have gotten him as a FA if there was interest)
Schultz (although would have to go back to a zone system)
Polak
Kesla (if he wasn't coming over in the Michalek deal, I don't see it)
Fistric
Nikitin

Guys with size, and can play a defensive shutdown system. Some would be cheaper than others. Most are under 30, and should have at least 5-6 years in them.

Other than perhaps Fistric and Schultz I would like to think that any one of those guys would help our blueline.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I wish someone would tell Martin this. I think he gets in trouble trying to do too much out there. He's good when he plays a simple conservative defensive game like he did in Jersey but I think he may have bought into all the people telling him that trapping system held him back offensively and once the shackles came off in our system his career took a turn for the worse.

Is it him? Or is it DB and Shero wanting him to play a different style? Somehow I can't see Martin playing a game that they don't want him to.

Muscles4Malkin

Better 2015-16?
Aug 3, 2007
Turku
Our untouchables for me are Crosby, Malkin, Neal and Letang. That's it.

That's the tastiest crunch I've ever heard! Seriously, I'd love Vlasic. Don't see it happening though. TK, Tangradi, Niskanen, Despres and a pick for Vlasic and Clowe. Ya, no way. :laugh:
LOL, I thought and thought what the hell did you mean by that until I googled it and went to YT! :laugh:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Bortuzzo brings what we need in a stay at home D-man. He's home grown. And is subject to waivers this year. No reason to bring in someone for the bottom pairing. None.

I see the organization targeting someone who can help Letang get going offensively. Ideally, a short term solution so he won't cost the usual king's ransom that top 4 D usually get. Gives us cap flexibility when resigning Geno/Tanger and leaves room for our defensive pipeline to move up the depth chart.

Boyle-Letang
Orpik-Martin
Despres-Bortuzzo

Move Niskanen+TK+Jeffrey+D prospect+1st for a stopgap D-man and a top 6 winger and we're the team to beat come postseason.

Geno Machino

Jan 6, 2013
Bortuzzo brings what we need in a stay at home D-man. He's home grown. And is subject to waivers this year. No reason to bring in someone for the bottom pairing. None.

I see the organization targeting someone who can help Letang get going offensively. Ideally, a short term solution so he won't cost the usual king's ransom that top 4 D usually get. Gives us cap flexibility when resigning Geno/Tanger and leaves room for our defensive pipeline to move up the depth chart.

Boyle-Letang
Orpik-Martin
Despres-Bortuzzo

Move Niskanen+TK+Jeffrey+D prospect+1st for a stopgap D-man and a top 6 winger and we're the team to beat come postseason.

OHH Goody team Letang up with a small Offensive D Man ! That ought to end well

hctopcheds11

Oct 6, 2009
I'm not sure I like the Boyle fit...love the player though.

If we trade for a top-4 defenseman, I want a more proven physical stay at home defender than Bortuzzo or Strait. Granted they are hard to find at a fair price... But it would put a lot if my worries to rest.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

If we trade for a top-4 defenseman, I want a more proven physical stay at home defender than Bortuzzo or Strait. Granted they are hard to find at a fair price... But it would put a lot if my worries to rest.

I get what you are saying, but to be honest, Strait was steadier in the playoffs than most of the vets.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
OHH Goody team Letang up with a small Offensive D Man ! That ought to end well

Lidstrom/Rafalski was a dynamic pairing for the Wings. If we had landed Yandle last summer in a Staal trade, would you ***** about pairing him with Letang? B/c that's what they'd do.

Geno Machino

Jan 6, 2013

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Lidstrom/Rafalski was a dynamic pairing for the Wings. If we had landed Yandle last summer in a Staal trade, would you ***** about pairing him with Letang? B/c that's what they'd do.

We should never compare ourselves with Detroit. Lidstrom-Rafalski worked for Detroit. Doesn't mean 95% of the time it's still a good idea. It's not. Because there will only be one Nick Lidstrom in the NHL...ever.

Most stick-checking D-men face an uphill battle in this league. Case in point the Pens-Flyers series last spring.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
We should never compare ourselves with Detroit. Lidstrom-Rafalski worked for Detroit. Doesn't mean 95% of the time it's still a good idea. It's not. Because there will only be one Nick Lidstrom in the NHL...ever.

Most stick-checking D-men face an uphill battle in this league. Case in point the Pens-Flyers series last spring.

Doesn't look like many have much faith in Letang being a Norris caliber defender. He just needs a guy who can move the puck up ice. If there's a huge physical minute eating D-man out there who management feels will fit into our style, Im all for it.

Geno Machino

Jan 6, 2013

Lidstrom is a 1st Ballot HoF & Letang is a Good D Man

Rafalski really fit the Puck control system the RW's have & Yandle is not close to Rafalski in his effectiveness

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Letang's ideal partner? Maybe it's someone like Carl Gunnarsson of the Leafs. Very steady, unspectacular, fairly mobile. Not offensive-minded, but Letang is. Not physical, but Letang is. Can long big minutes, like Letang does.

The problem? Gunnarsson plays with Phaneuf on the Leafs' top pairing. I doubt he's available.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Letang's ultimate partner may very well become a guy like Robert Bortuzzo. Odds of Bortuzzo being able to eat those kind of mins is probably not very likely, but that's who Letang would benefit from. The less Letang has to worry about defense, the better.

I personally think Robyn Regehr would be the best for Letang.

vyktor

Jan 23, 2008
Letang's ideal partner? Maybe it's someone like Carl Gunnarsson of the Leafs. Very steady, unspectacular, fairly mobile. Not offensive-minded, but Letang is. Not physical, but Letang is. Can long big minutes, like Letang does.

The problem? Gunnarsson plays with Phaneuf on the Leafs' top pairing. I doubt he's available.

Sounds a lot like Rob Scuderi. A slow them down til the Calvalry arrives type of player. Honestly if Martin could rebound he could easily fill that role. With LeTang in the first pairing, it's really the 2nd pairing that concerns me, I just don't see a solid 2nd pairing that you can make out of Martin Orpik Niskanen no matter which one plays with LeTang.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Would absolutely love to see Gunnarsson in Pittsburgh. Does nothing spectacular... but does lots well, and is solid in his own end. Is young, and very mobile. Oh, and he hits as much or more than Letang does.

Sounds a lot like Rob Scuderi. A slow them down til the Calvalry arrives type of player. Honestly if Martin could rebound he could easily fill that role. With LeTang in the first pairing, it's really the 2nd pairing that concerns me, I just don't see a solid 2nd pairing that you can make out of Martin Orpik Niskanen no matter which one plays with LeTang.

Much different than Scuderi. Or at least my recollection of Scuderi - shot blocking defensive type. He reminds me of Meszaros (recent vs his Ottawa days) or perhaps Toni Lydman. Someone who's good in their own zone, can skate and move the puck, and should complement his offensive partner.

I'd love to see Scuds come back in July... but not to be Letangs partner. Put him with someone on a shutdown pairing.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Letang's ultimate partner may very well become a guy like Robert Bortuzzo. Odds of Bortuzzo being able to eat those kind of mins is probably not very likely, but that's who Letang would benefit from. The less Letang has to worry about defense, the better.

I personally think Robyn Regehr would be the best for Letang.

I look at Bortuzzo and see a lot of similarities to Orpik, so its really conceivable that could turn out to be true. I really want to see Bortuzzo get a legit shot this season because he's exactly whatever people are clamoring for in a defender.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I want Bortuzzo to get his shot, too, but I just don't know if he's ideal for the Letang pairing (because Letang would have to play the left side full time. Not saying he can't do it, and it might work, but it comes with a bit of risk).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad