Speculation: Top-4 Defender

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
There's a guy possibly available, a guy that I'm guessing everybody hates on this board. A guy who could instantly become Letang's rival in total ice time. A guy who could pair with Letang perhaps, be both a shutdown D-man and an offensive catalyst. A guy who is more physical than Letang, just as mobile and a royal pain to play against. A guy who (if paired with Letang) could turn our first pairing into a Suter-Weber 2.0 situation. The only caveat is Letang would have to play the left side, but he may have to do so even without this guy.

I'm talking about P.K. Subban. I know most people feel he's not a "Pittsburgh" guy, or whatever. But he's a really good D-man. Plays in every situation. Would bring back some attitude that this team has lacked for a while. And he's a rarity: a guy who may actually flourish under Disco Dan, because he can play the shutdown role while keeping his game up-tempo.

I wonder if there are any leftover players from the Therrien era that he would want back? The Habs are implementing Therrien's system, and from what I've heard it's quite different than what they were used to. They brought in Armstrong already because he's familiar with Therrien. I wonder if they would have interest in some others. Maybe Orpik? Even though I'd rather deal Martin than Orpik, I'd deal Orpik if it came to that.

They'd probably want Despres. I would try to move Pouliot instead. Something like Orpik, Kennedy and Pouliot for Subban and a winger prospect (the Habs have a few interesting ones, like Tim Bozon, Charles Hudon, Sebastian Collberg to name three).

Letang-Subban
Martin-Engelland
Niskanen-Bortuzzo/Strait/Despres/Dumoulin

I would feel more comfortable with that. Also, because Subban would be expensive, we'd have to buy Martin out this summer. But that's probably happening anyway.

Anyway, I'm just spit-balling.
I would love Subban here. I have a feeling he would be very hard to get. And didn't Orpik pretty much hate Therrien?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Montreal can't afford to deal their #1 D-man. But you're right, Subban would be money here.

They can't afford to deal him, for sure. BUT, the Pens have the pieces-- especially the high end defensive prospects to add-- to make them think about it, no?

And, yeah, guy would be money here. I'd take him just for the love he'd get in Philly while wearing the black and gold. Guy would be like Kasparitis: You hate the SOB, until he's YOUR SOB.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Despres+Pouliot+1st. Sure, Id do it. But I think Montreal will try and make the playoffs this year.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Despres+Pouliot+1st. Sure, Id do it. But I think Montreal will try and make the playoffs this year.

IMO, price tag is Niskanen + Despres (who Therrien would play) + Pouliot or something like that.

Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden
I would absolutley love to have Subban here. Kid's got an attitude but he's a great player.

Not going to happend though, but one can dream.

Just imagine getting OEL here. Absolute pipedream but i would cry happy happy tears of joy if that would happend. Niskanen + 2/1 pick + prospect, eh eh eh?
GET IT DONE RAY JESUS WHAT'S TAKING SO LONG

:laugh:

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
Niklas Hjalmarsson is a defenseman that I would like on the team, but Chicago is looking for a 2nd/3rd line centre which is a problem.

Not as big of a fan of Hjalmarsson, but if Chicago is looking for a 2nd/3rd line center, Jeffrey is would be a decent part of that trade then. I am not sure what else they would want included in the deal to make it worthwhile.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
There is no way we are getting PK Subban. You guys have lost it haha.

Who the **** peed in your cheerios this morning?

You saying we can't get him for Strait, Samuelsson, and a 2nd? :rant:

Seriously, I can't see MTL not signing him. But, if they ever did open it up, then Shero's got the pieces to deal.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Who the **** peed in your cheerios this morning?

You saying we can't get him for Strait, Samuelsson, and a 2nd? :rant:

Seriously, I can't see MTL not signing him. But, if they ever did open it up, then Shero's got the pieces to deal.

Alright, alright. I'll let you guys play :laugh:

It's just that PK and Price are that team right now. The fanbase would lose it if they traded Subban. Would you trade Letang for Despres, Pouliot, 1st? Subban is their Letang. Only they don't have Crosby and Malkin. It's just really not going to happen.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I don't think a ton of trades will happen all at once on Sunday... I think you'll see them take place over the next 2-3 weeks as GMs evaluate camp results, and the results of the first several games to see how their division and team are shaking out. I don't expect Shero would be in on the early action but I could be wrong. He's surprised me before (certainly didn't see the Neal thing coming).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't think a ton of trades will happen all at once on Sunday... I think you'll see them take place over the next 2-3 weeks as GMs evaluate camp results, and the results of the first several games to see how their division and team are shaking out. I don't expect Shero would be in on the early action but I could be wrong. He's surprised me before (certainly didn't see the Neal thing coming).

I agree. We will likely be patient and see how Strait, Bort, Lovejoy (ugh) do in the early going. Ditto TK, Tangradi, Bennett, Jeffrey.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It's a long shot at best. But there seems to be an issue holding up negotiations, for sure. Even McKenzie is suggesting that it's not going to be easy to get Subban signed. His contractual demands are definitely high. But I don't know, there seems to be something else going on there. There are those within the Habs organization that don't like Subban. AND, it's been suggested Therrien isn't a fan, either. Therrien used to be on a talk show here and he regularly blasted Subban. Things change when you're the coach, of course. But the whole thing bears monitoring imo.

I just don't want the Flyers to get Subban. Or some other Eastern rival. If he is dealt, hopefully it's out West or to us. We really could use him, that's all I know.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
I agree that this D group is a concern. I actually think they have the potential to be pretty terrible.

Even Letang I'm not sure of. While he's obviously got a ton of ability, I'm not sure if he has enough upstairs to be the rock solid #1 that we're looking for him to be. And someone said they saw leadership traits in Tanger...I really don't see that at all.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Alright, alright. I'll let you guys play :laugh:

It's just that PK and Price are that team right now. The fanbase would lose it if they traded Subban. Would you trade Letang for Despres, Pouliot, 1st? Subban is their Letang. Only they don't have Crosby and Malkin. It's just really not going to happen.

Better!!! :D

And, yeah, I know what Letang is worth. And, to answer you're question, if I'm Montreal, I sign Subban. BUT, if for some reason-- whatever reason-- they can't get a deal done, then a return like Niskanen, Despres (who IMO would play for MTL this year), and Pouliot would be the type of package that might appeal.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It's a long shot at best. But there seems to be an issue holding up negotiations, for sure. Even McKenzie is suggesting that it's not going to be easy to get Subban signed. His contractual demands are definitely high. But I don't know, there seems to be something else going on there. There are those within the Habs organization that don't like Subban. AND, it's been suggested Therrien isn't a fan, either. Therrien used to be on a talk show here and he regularly blasted Subban. Things change when you're the coach, of course. But the whole thing bears monitoring imo.

I just don't want the Flyers to get Subban. Or some other Eastern rival. If he is dealt, hopefully it's out West or to us. We really could use him, that's all I know.

Let's say-- again leaving aside the WHY question-- that MTL explores moving Subban. What's their price?

Is Nisky, Despres, and Pouliot the type of return they'd be seeking? More? Less? A different combo of players/prospects/positions?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I agree. We will likely be patient and see how Strait, Bort, Lovejoy (ugh) do in the early going. Ditto TK, Tangradi, Bennett, Jeffrey.

Well, I'd love it if Bylsma actually were patient with Tangradi and Bennett and waited to see how they did.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
Better!!! :D

And, yeah, I know what Letang is worth. And, to answer you're question, if I'm Montreal, I sign Subban. BUT, if for some reason-- whatever reason-- they can't get a deal done, then a return like Niskanen, Despres (who IMO would play for MTL this year), and Pouliot would be the type of package that might appeal.

I think they hang up on Shero with that proposal. They'll want at LEAST one established NHL talent (better than Niskanen) in the deal. And if they put Subban on the trade block, they'd easily get it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think they hang up on Shero with that proposal. They'll want at LEAST one established NHL talent (better than Niskanen) in the deal. And if they put Subban on the trade block, they'd easily get it.

I don't doubt it. I'm not sure enough of their needs to know what combo they'd want.

And, would they hang up because of the actual value that I proposed OR the need for atleast one established NHL talent?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00