Value of: Top 3 destinations for Pietrangelo?

[VOTE 3] What do you think are the most likely 3 destinations for Pie?

• Total voters

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
If I was a Maple Leafs fan, I would be so nervous right now. Signing another huge contract is SOOOOO not what they need to do. I can't wrap my head around how that is suppose to be exciting for them.

And fudge off with the "they only need to move this guy, this guy and this guy" like this was some kind of video game. I mean, if Toronto manage to make space for him (which is not impossible but profoundly stupid), so can any other team that hasn't an internal cap.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I really think Vancouver makes a push and AP would see Vancouver as a nice destination. Nice city in Canada and improving team. Would obviously have to juggle some cap space around but elder 6M coming off next year and Eriksson 6M coming off the year after. I think they would have to trade Sutter 4M this offseason if they want to make this work but definitely could be done. Would obviously need to watch it with Hughes and Peterssen contracts up next year. And wow would Pietrangelo look good next to Hughes !

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
If I was a Maple Leafs fan, I would be so nervous right now. Signing another huge contract is SOOOOO not what they need to do. I can't wrap my head around how that is suppose to be exciting for them.

And fudge off with the "they only need to move this guy, this guy and this guy" like this was some kind of video game. I mean, if Toronto manage to make space for him (which is not impossible but profoundly stupid), so can any other team that hasn't an internal cap.

Well isn't that true? Pretty much anyone can make room.

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
Well isn't that true? Pretty much anyone can make room.
You missed the point... I was saying that in the sense that it's not that simple.

I understand he's from Ontario, but if, as you said, pretty much anyone can make room, why are we talking about the Leafs 90% of the time regarding AP... Especially when it would be such, such a bad idea to sign him!

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
You missed the point... I was saying that in the sense that it's not that simple.

I understand he's from Ontario, but if, as you said, pretty much anyone can make room, why are we talking about the Leafs 90% of the time regarding AP... Especially when it would be such, such a bad idea to sign him!

It's not just about him being a Toronto-born star.

The team is looking for a good RHD and he's the best one available. It's essentially the Leafs' biggest need and filling it with Pietrangelo is going to be enticing.

Will it happen?

Probably not, since I think he'll use the market to get a better contract with St.Louis. But the Leafs coming up makes sense.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Way too much money for him if you're a contender. On the other hand, if you're a team like Detroit, desperate to improve and have cap space to burn, then fine.

Very good player, but he's not a $9M a year guy with a flat cap for the next few years. Easy pass.

Totally disagree. He is a top 10 d-man that will cost no assets. The contenders that have the space like Boston should be willing to pay up. Boston paid like 13 AAV (in today’s % of cap) when they took Chara from Ottawa. Grabbing AP for 9? f***ing steal.

Reactions: axlrose87

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
St Louis to Denver is the same drive as St Louis to Toronto...12.5 hours.

Chicago and Nashville are 4 hour drives.
Yikes. Didn’t realize it was so far.....
May as well put a leafs jersey on him haha.
Seriously though, if he doesn’t re-up in St. Louis (which isn’t looking likely), he is going to Toronto and getting max bonuses.
The leafs will then trade a player who is making less then his cap hit (marner or Nylander).
This is about the only way a team can flex their financial muscle

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Yikes. Didn’t realize it was so far.....
May as well put a leafs jersey on him haha.
Seriously though, if he doesn’t re-up in St. Louis (which isn’t looking likely), he is going to Toronto and getting max bonuses.
The leafs will then trade a player who is making less then his cap hit (marner or Nylander).

Leafs can offer him that, but no STL reasonable offer will be declined imo.

I think it's 60-40 in favour of STL.

We will make the cap work, we will always do.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018

Why would it be stupid?
Move a player you have in excess (skilled wingers) and sign a player you desperately need. makes sense to me.
And, no, it won’t be hard to trade Nylander. There will be a long list of teams looking to acquire him and his $4.5 million salary going forward.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018

They have been negotiating for a year. Don’t you think they would have already put their best foot forward by now? I truly believe that St. Louis does not have the money to pay him. Not in bonuses or salary.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010

We don't have any untradeable contracts so we should be good.

Matthews Rielly Pietrangelo should be the priority for the Leafs moving forward if we get him.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
They have been negotiating for a year. Don’t you think they would have already put their best foot forward by now? I truly believe that St. Louis does not have the money to pay him. Not in bonuses or salary.

Stamkos looked and went back to TBL.

AP negotiating through the media to do what's best for his family (staying in STL and waiting to get the most money possible).

Last edited:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

This past season they paid Ceci and Barrie a combined 6.75. The year before they paid Gardiner and Zaitsev 8.55. They spend this money every year, usually on bad defensemen. The thought of spending it instead on a good one, is exciting.

Reactions: New Liskeard

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

For most, I think "reasonable" would be something like a 4-5 year full NMC, with 2-4 years of a short list of teams he can be traded to.

That being said, from reading the article on the athletic, I don't believe any offer that doesn't have full NMC for the duration is going to be considered/accepted.

I also have to wonder -- what is a reasonable number for AP on say, a 7-year deal?

There have been media people, as well as posters on this board who go as far as saying he's a "Lock top 5 defenceman in the league"; more who say he's a top 10. This year he got 2nd team all-star which would imply that he likely ended up 4th in Norris voting... but one has to wonder if part of that is simply due to the fact that he's talked about so much as an impending UFA.

Something to consider for AP... in the last 5 seasons, he's played a minimum of 70 games. His rankings in Norris and end-of-year All Star Voting have been:
15-16: Norris N/R, All Star T-21
16-17: Norris 16th, All Star 17th
17-18: Norris 9th, All Star 10th
18-19: Norris N/R, All Star T-19th
19-20: Presumably 4th in both Categories

It may also be worth considering the defencemen who ranked ahead of him in Norris voting over the last few years, but are either his same age or younger.

This year, you had Hedman, Carlson & Josi.

In 18-19, you had Hedman, Carlson, Josi, Rielly, McDonagh, Jones, Ekholm, Muzzin, Spurgeon, OEL, Hamlton, Karlsson

In 17-18, you had Doughty, Subban, Jones, Carlson, Klingberg, & Josi all ahead of him.

In 16-17, you had Karlsson, Hedman, Doughty, Hamilton, Schultz, Josi, Spurgeon, Krug, with McDonagh & Jones just below him.

In 15-16, you had Doughty, Karlsson, Josi, Klingberg, Hedman, OEL, Subban, McDonagh, Ekblad.

Now, he does have to get points for consistency -- he's never been a finalist for the award, but he's ranked 4th 9 years ago, 7 years ago, and presumably this year as well. He consistently "hangs around" this list; and he's been a quality #1 defenceman for the vast majority of his 10 years in the league.

Looking forward, these are the contemporaries you've gotta rank Pietrangelo within. Giordano, Burns, Suter, Weber, Subban are all on the decline IMO. It's worth noting that in that 4 year sample, the only players over the age of 31 to rank in the top 10 for Norris votes are Giordano (Twice), Burns (Twice), Keith (Once), Suter (Once). That's 6 out of 40 spots. This is a young-guy's game.

So where does he rank? Hedman, Carlson & Josi are non-debatable, and they're the same age / a year younger. I think you give the edge to Karlsson & Doughty, even though they didn't have the best years - just based on their track record. Looking to the future, you have to like Dougie Hamilton & Seth Jones on a go forward basis. An argument can be made for John Klingberg, OEL, and Morgan Rielly, and I think McDonagh is probably the guy you say is the perfect comparable. I think it puts him comfortably in the "top 10" definition for now. Looking longer term, you have the likes of Rasmus Dahlin, Cale Makar, Quinn Hughes, Miro Heiskanen, Zach Werenski, Thomas Chabot, Aaron Ekblad.

The nice thing about this list, is that quite a few guys have signed contracts recently. You look at these guys, and what they have remaining on their deals:
Josi (30) -- 1 year in, 7 years left at $9.06m, full NMC, but minimal buyout protection.
Carlson (30) -- 2 years in, 6 years left at $8m. Minimal NTC protection, some buyout protection
Doughty (30) - 1 year in, 7 years left at $11m. Strong NTC but not full, no buyout protection, no frontloading.
Karlsson (30) - 1 year in, 7 years left at $11.5m. Full NMC, substantial buyout protection.
McDonagh (31) - 1 year in, 6 years left at $6.75m. Full NTC until the last year, no bonuses, but some frontloading.

If St. Louis is offering the rumored $8m x 8 years with some, but not full trade protection, that sounds like it's right on the money for Alex Pietrangelo. All these contracts were signed in cap-rising environments, which ended up having the first year the same as what we have today (except for Carlson). An 8-year contract will carry him a to a year older than Josi, Doughty, Karlsson, and McDonagh, 2 years older than Carlson.

If he ends up having to look at a 7-year deal, he'll be taking on the exact same term as Josi, Doughty, Karlsson. I think $8.5m is probably a reasonably justifiable amount on a 7-year term with something to the tune of "Standard" trade protection.

If I'm Kyle Dubas, obviously the offer is going to contain a full NMC for all 7 years and whatever frontloading/backloading/bonus structure that Pietrangelo's team thinks is best for them / is CBA-compliant.... but that should be accompanied by a drop in AAV (as we saw with McDonagh).

When he did the deal with Tavares, he didn't really have the leverage, as the Leafs were swimming in cap space. When he did the deals with Matthews & Marner, they simply said "well look at what Johnny got and we deserve the same as we're your franchise players". I would hope that when approaching Pietrangelo, it's a much more frank conversation in that wanting to do a $8m x 7 or $7.5m x 7 deal is not a slight against AP or what he brings to the team; but simply a reality of what they can afford to spend without having to seriously consider trading Marner in a cap-flat environment for the next few years.

I also wonder -- if the rumors are true that they cannot get past the structure of the deal to even talk about an AAV -- would the Blues allow him to speak to other teams pre-UFA, and negotiate 8-year deals with them in exchange for some form of compensation.

IIRC, the ability to offer an 8-year deal goes away on October 7th.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'd be surprised if it doesn't end up being one of Colorado, Toronto or St. Louis.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Dubas making the cap work cause of the top heavy contracts is making your overall team worse though. Pietrangelo is a great fit though. Who's moved? Nylander or Marner? You will have to find a team willing to give you futures and not send any contract back. How many teams have valuable futures and cap space? There are a few but not many. Curious to see how that would play out.

Bottom 6 depth would be horrible though!

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Avs make no sense. No one is taking EJ in this climate and otherwise its just too hard to make it work longterm when you already have Makar as your #1 RHD going forward...

If what I expected and now LeBrun and others are reporting is true in regards to how impossible it is to move out money right now, the Avs should rather go after Cernak while already calling Seattle to make a deal that they won't select EJ (and he in exchange agrees to waive his NMC for the expansion draft).

Last edited:
Reactions: Goulet17

quityerwhinin

Feb 9, 2017
Totally disagree. He is a top 10 d-man that will cost no assets. The contenders that have the space like Boston should be willing to pay up. Boston paid like 13 AAV (in today’s % of cap) when they took Chara from Ottawa. Grabbing AP for 9? f***ing steal.

We'll see. Love the guy. Hope he stays a Blue, but having watched him his entire career there's no way I'd go that high if it's full term. He also doesn't compare to Chara in his prime at all.

Last edited:

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Let's clear the air a bit.

Petro got the number he wanted. He got the years wanted. What he didn't get was he wanted 40% 50% of his pay to be paid out as a bonus every year. That was the only sticking point. Right now they are playing chicken. Let's see who blinks

Not true at all. Maybe he got the term he wanted but last report says they're still roughly 1.5-2 million apart. Not to mention, St.Louis has never ever given out signing bonuses in any contract they have signed, as well as NMC. The second St.Louis signed Faulk to that deal was the second Pietrangelo was gone. It's personal for him now.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
People thinking guys like Kadri and the likes fo Graves, Zadorov etc will influence Sakic's decision to add AP if he evens has a chance, to begin with, are really naive. Pretty much everyone on the roster outside of Nate, Mikko, Gabe, Cale and Sammy is trade fodder or let go as UFA if you can add a top 5D in the league for nothing but $.

Reactions: milehigh11

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Not true at all. Maybe he got the term he wanted but last report says they're still roughly 1.5-2 million apart. Not to mention, St.Louis has never ever given out signing bonuses in any contract they have signed, as well as NMC. The second St.Louis signed Faulk to that deal was the second Pietrangelo was gone. It's personal for him now.

Strickland did pod cast the term dollar are good its structure and bonuses. Good luck with that inside toronto info thats usually wrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad