Value of: Top 3 destinations for Pietrangelo?

[VOTE 3] What do you think are the most likely 3 destinations for Pie?

• Total voters

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Not true at all. Maybe he got the term he wanted but last report says they're still roughly 1.5-2 million apart. Not to mention, St.Louis has never ever given out signing bonuses in any contract they have signed, as well as NMC. The second St.Louis signed Faulk to that deal was the second Pietrangelo was gone. It's personal for him now.
The report was they are at 8×8 ntc. Petro wanted 50% of salary paid out as bonuses and a nmc. Army doesn't hand out nmc or salary as bonuses paid at first of year.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You missed the point... I was saying that in the sense that it's not that simple.

I understand he's from Ontario, but if, as you said, pretty much anyone can make room, why are we talking about the Leafs 90% of the time regarding AP... Especially when it would be such, such a bad idea to sign him!

It's not that simple for most teams. People talk about the Leafs because he has reportedly expressed interest and because HFBoards is fixated on them.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I voted on the two most obvious ones: St Louis and Toronto.

Florida is my darkhorse in the Pietrangelo sweepstakes. They have cap space. Their defense is rough. People tend to think of them as sellers but they have too many young and good pieces that are fairly far along in their careers. So what if they flip the script and go after Pietrangelo. The warm weather and no state income tax might have a big appeal.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Stamkos looked and went back to TBL.

AP negotiating through the media to do what's best for his family (staying in STL and waiting to get the most money possible).
Has St. Louis ever given a player max bonuses on a contract?
Cause I think that has become a very big deal to star players

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
I voted on the two most obvious ones: St Louis and Toronto.

Florida is my darkhorse in the Pietrangelo sweepstakes. They have cap space. Their defense is rough. People tend to think of them as sellers but they have too many young and good pieces that are fairly far along in their careers. So what if they flip the script and go after Pietrangelo. The warm weather and no state income tax might have a big appeal.
You think AP signs his final NHL contract in his prime to go play on a team thats not a playoff team. Also the Panthers defense is already overpriced, they'd have to trade multiple pieces to make it work. Plus there's rumors that florida isn't going to be spending close to the cap due to covid

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
You think AP signs his final NHL contract in his prime to go play on a team thats not a playoff team. Also the Panthers defense is already overpriced, they'd have to trade multiple pieces to make it work. Plus there's rumors that florida isn't going to be spending close to the cap due to covid

He already has his Stanley Cup. I said it's a darkhorse meaning that I think St Louis and Toronto are more likely. But I think Florida has something to offer that's different than a lot of places in that they have nice weather and no income tax. Besides, I think he would upgrade the Florida defense significantly. I also think there might be an appeal by having Ekblad there since it might lighten his load for this upcoming grind of a season.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Would be a wild move for Toronto from a cap standpoint but seems like it's a piece they desperately need and should do whatever they can to get it done. Obviously for AP, winning a cup in Toronto would make him a god.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
This is going to be an interesting follow given Pietrangelo’s comments regarding free agency.

I feel like the Leafs become one of the favourites next year, if they can land him.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
It's hard to write off the Leafs for this discussion. The Leafs have clearly shown they are willing to put up as much cash as possible upfront via bonuses to lock up top tier players and effectively pay 50% of the salary in the first 2-3 years of the deal. Forget the cap this is real money we're talking about here. So given there are no ticket sales right now and questionable ticket sales in the next couple of years, the cap is foobar for the foreseeable future. Why would a top tier player want to be exposed to any sort of financial loss/escrow right now? So I wonder how many teams are willing to guarantee salary with unknown gate revenue? I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Could see Winnipeg if they ship out Laine or Ehlers. Toronto can't afford him without giving up Nylander/Marner. Colorado or Boston seem to be the top of the list, but I bet he re-signs in St. Louis. Staying with the familiar is probably best for him, since his productivity wouldn't be good for the first year as most d-men don't fare well when they change teams, their first year there.

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
This is going to be an interesting follow given Pietrangelo’s comments regarding free agency.

I feel like the Leafs become one of the favourites next year, if they can land him.
Nah they'd half to ice a bunch of AHL players on ELCs to make it work cap wise

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
They have to make the playoffs first and then win a round or two before they become favourites.
Haven't hey made the playoffs for a number of seasons straight? All they need is a shot.. look at Dallas...mobidy picked them to be the best in the west

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
It's hard to write off the Leafs for this discussion. The Leafs have clearly shown they are willing to put up as much cash as possible upfront via bonuses to lock up top tier players and effectively pay 50% of the salary in the first 2-3 years of the deal. Forget the cap this is real money we're talking about here. So given there are no ticket sales right now and questionable ticket sales in the next couple of years, the cap is foobar for the foreseeable future. Why would a top tier player want to be exposed to any sort of financial loss/escrow right now? So I wonder how many teams are willing to guarantee salary with unknown gate revenue? I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

Objectively... UFAs signing multi-year deals are actually dis-incentivized from getting money up front.

Escrow is 20% this year, 14-18% next year, with a commitment from the league to work it to 6% by 2023.

Pietrangelo can maximize his total earnings by NOT frontloading the deal, and instead having relatively low-paid seasons for the next 2-3, followed by high-paid seasons after that.

To illustrate, if we're talking about where to locate $2m in signing bonuses. If he gets it this year, he'll receive $1.6m of it. If he waits 1 year, he'll receive $1.68m of it. If he waits 2 years, he'll get $1.8m of it. If he waits 3 years, he'll get $1.88m of it.

Does he expect to see a 5-7% return on his money in the bank? Because that's what incentive the league has given him to defer compensation.

So yes, the Leafs could afford to frontload the deal, doesn't mean he'll want that.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I can't help but think that if the Blues had any intent of resigning him, they wouldn't have mutually agreed to go to UFA.

Once UFA begins, the 8-year deal goes off the table (from the league's perspective). That's the one trump-card that the Blues have as a means to get his AAV down over all the other teams.

If it was really about "AP needing to see what the market brought" -- why not simply let teams negotiate with him on 7 or 8 year pacts -- maybe the blues get an asset or two out of the deal for facilitating an 8-year deal for somebody else.

My best guess as to why not? Doug Armstrong is an old-school GM. If he's not getting the benefit of the 8-year deal, he's not doing anyone else (including AP) any favours.

That, or he believes that AP will flinch before UFA, and maybe agree than an 8-year deal with some limited trade possibilities in the last 2-3 years of the deal is better than hoping that a team comes close to matching the dollars while also giving you a full NMC.

Last edited:

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Objectively... UFAs signing multi-year deals are actually dis-incentivized from getting money up front.

Escrow is 20% this year, 14-18% next year, with a commitment from the league to work it to 6% by 2023.

Pietrangelo can maximize his total earnings by NOT frontloading the deal, and instead having relatively low-paid seasons for the next 2-3, followed by high-paid seasons after that.

To illustrate, if we're talking about where to locate $2m in signing bonuses. If he gets it this year, he'll receive $1.6m of it. If he waits 1 year, he'll receive $1.68m of it. If he waits 2 years, he'll get $1.8m of it. If he waits 3 years, he'll get $1.88m of it.

Does he expect to see a 5-7% return on his money in the bank? Because that's what incentive the league has given him to defer compensation.

So yes, the Leafs could afford to frontload the deal, doesn't mean he'll want that.
If you can’t get 5-7% return, you should turn your money in and give up entirely

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Way too much money for him if you're a contender. On the other hand, if you're a team like Detroit, desperate to improve and have cap space to burn, then fine.

Very good player, but he's not a $9M a year guy with a flat cap for the next few years. Easy pass.

He's a clear #1 and can log in big minutes in any situation. A contender with a need at his position would be absolutely crazy not to go for him.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015

Not sure if anybody saw Calgary in the mix but it makes sense considering the amount of room they are opening up on the blue line.

Reactions: CF84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad