Value of: Top 3 destinations for Pietrangelo?

[VOTE 3] What do you think are the most likely 3 destinations for Pie?

• Total voters

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he went to Toronto it would be bizarre. BTW, TML fans expecting a defensive stopper would be in for a shock.

I don't think that CO should do it. They are in good shape if Byram is anything like advertised. They've got a terrific offensive Dman...they are better off getting a much cheaper SAH guy.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
How exactly would the Leafs sign Pietrangelo? They are already pretty close to the cap and still need to add a few more bodies to the roster. Once they add Pietrangelo's 8 to 10 million on top of that they are literally forced to offload a lot of cap space and the rest of NHL GM's aren't waiting in the wings to help them out. Like if the best offer they get is a 3rd round pick for Marner they have to take that or they get disqualified for the season.

That's not real life.

The NBA had one of the best examples of something like this after the Durant deal. Warriors had to get rid of Bogut + Barnes or they wouldn't be cap compliant. They still found a trade partner despite everyone knowing Durant on the Warriors meant 2-3 years with no chance of winning.

GMs are always hunting for deals and it's the same in the NHL.

Take your Marner example. One GM says I'll give you a 3rd round pick. Another GM is going to look and say well I'll give a 2nd round pick.

Within minutes, you have multiple GMs fighting over the asset because everyone wants to be the one who gets the deal.

If the asset is a good one, you will always have bidders. Yes, if the asset is garbage no one will bid but that's true whether or not you're cap compliant.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Boston could add Pietro without needing to make major moves.

Adding him would release Carlo on the market for F upgrade though

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
There are only 2 places imo.

STL 60%
TOR 40%

Assuming he gets reasonable offers from both, having him in the line up gives both those teams a shot at the cup.

Any parents here care to say they will go to another city out side of TO or STL with 4 little kids 2 and under (where the grandparents are not), given they get a reasonable offer from these teams.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Where is Toronto dumping all this cap in a flat cap world with a bunch of teams strapped for space and a bunch trying to cut their payroll?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
There are only 2 places imo.

STL 60%
TOR 40%

Assuming he gets reasonable offers from both, having him in the line up gives both those teams a shot at the cup.

Any parents here care to say they will go to another city out side of TO or STL with 4 little kids 2 and under (where the grandparents are not), given they get a reasonable offer from these teams.

Go 1 step further...

- Pietrangelo is a parent with 4 kids 2 and under.
- He has career earnings thus far of $48m.
- His next contract will be somewhere between $56m and $70m for the next 7 years, maybe $72m for 8 years from the Blues.

Is $14m worth living somewhere that you don't want to raise your kids?

Is $14m worth any chance that you might get traded and either be forced to leave your kids, or have your lot of 7 year olds have to leave all their friends and move to a new city?

Don't get me wrong, his $105-$120m in career earnings is a lot less than that after agent fees, taxes, etc... and $14m is a lot of money... but is it really worth doing something that you don't necessarily want to do?

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Where is Toronto dumping all this cap in a flat cap world with a bunch of teams strapped for space and a bunch trying to cut their payroll?
To be fair Toronto could deal some of their high cap assets after paying out signing bonuses. Real cash strapped teams like the Senators love those contracts. For instance Andersen would be an on the ice upgrade for a team like the senators, has a 5 mil cap hit and 1 mil base salary.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
To be fair Toronto could deal some of their high cap assets after paying out signing bonuses. Real cash strapped teams like the Senators love those contracts. For instance Andersen would be an on the ice upgrade for a team like the senators, has a 5 mil cap hit and 1 mil base salary.
Normally this is the case but a lot of those teams that generally like those contracts are looking to cut their payrolls significantly. There’s going to less teams willing to take cap and more teams looking to dump it this year. Edmonton for example is even in a better situation to make Petriangelo an offer and they are in a pretty terrible situation themselves cap wise.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
1. St. Louis - Home for his family. 14% advantage with 8 years vs. 7 years (lower AAV for the same total value).
2. Colorado - Pietrangelo is an upgrade on E Johnson, and younger. E Johnson can likely be moved for other assets. Cup contender.
3. Vancouver - Fills the top-pairing RD. They'll have cap space after they cough up enough assets to move Eriksson.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I haven’t seen anything like that coming from JR. The latest Tweets suggest Pietro is still not happy with the AAV. Do you have a link or something? If he’s said they’re that close, I’ve missed it.
I am looking for the link to article. I saw it on the blues chat board sat or sun. Also some one confirmed he wanted a full nmc which army doesn't give out.

The Laukomotive

Nov 26, 2017
Boston could add Pietro without needing to make major moves.

Adding him would release Carlo on the market for F upgrade though

Or Gryz. Of course in this what if scenario Bruins should trade the defender that brings the best value in return, but given that the Bruins habe better depth at the left side, it would maybe make more sense trading the ld.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
From the Kapanen trade presser, Dubas mentioned our players are sought after assets.

Significant bonuses have been paid to guys like Johnsson and Kerfoot and Andersen, so teams that are looking for discounted players will probably looking at these Leafs at some point for a fit.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Or Gryz. Of course in this what if scenario Bruins should trade the defender that brings the best value in return, but given that the Bruins habe better depth at the left side, it would maybe make more sense trading the ld.

With addition of Pietro they'd be saying goodbye to Krug and likely Chara, both LD's and would have McAvoy, Pietro, Carlo at RD.

Carlo would be the guy out and should have value.

The Laukomotive

Nov 26, 2017
With addition of Pietro they'd be saying goodbye to Krug and likely Chara, both LD's and would have McAvoy, Pietro, Carlo at RD.

Carlo would be the guy out and should have value.

Yes, I mean they can either go

XXX- Pietrangelo
Gryz - McAvoy
XXX - (Likely Clifton)

Or

XXX- Pietrangelo
XXX-McAvoy
XXX-Carlo.

Then you fill the left spots with Clifton, Lauzon, Zboril, Vaakanainen, Moore (if he stays).

I think both scenarios are fine and whoever brings the best player back should be traded.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yes, I mean they can either go

XXX- Pietrangelo
Gryz - McAvoy
XXX - (Likely Clifton)

Or

XXX- Pietrangelo
XXX-McAvoy
XXX-Carlo.

Then you fill the left spots with Clifton, Lauzon, Zboril, Vaakanainen, Moore (if he stays).

I think both scenarios are fine and whoever brings the best player back should be traded.

It would for sure be Carlo

Reactions: wintersej

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
1. St. Louis - Home for his family. 14% advantage with 8 years vs. 7 years (lower AAV for the same total value).
2. Colorado - Pietrangelo is an upgrade on E Johnson, and younger. E Johnson can likely be moved for other assets. Cup contender.
3. Vancouver - Fills the top-pairing RD. They'll have cap space after they cough up enough assets to move Eriksson.

It's not really a 14% advantage... Pietrangelo has to still play that 8th year, and due to contract variability rules, there will have to be at least $6m remaining in the deal for that year.

If he's looking at a 7 year deal, he still has that year at the end where he can get another contract.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I think he's going to re-sign. If not, Toronto.

If he does come to Toronto, I'm very very excited to see what Dubas has in store for us. Gonna take some serious maneuvering or we'll be seeing a massive trade; but that's far more unlikely.

Reactions: ViewsFromThe6ix

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
If he doesn’t sign with the blues it’ll be Vegas or Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad