Top 10 Fastest Skaters in NHL

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Ehlers is an awesome player but in pure speed I don't think he's up among the very top names.

I beg to differ.

I think he is up among the fastest.
Not sure how high, but by eyetest imo, he is faster and better at top flight than Larkin.

I am biased ofc, so my opinion is close to moot.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Andrew cogliano is up there. Probably top 10. Tough to call a top 10 lots of guys are about the same. I'd say Mcdavid is the fastest in the league. Fastest player I've personally ever watched going back to the early 90's.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
McDavid
Crosby
Larkin
Kessel
Hall
Kane
Ehlers
Keith
MacKinnon
Grabner
Cogliano
Karlsson

These guys are the best of the best as best I could remember

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

1. Connor McDavid
2. Michael Grabner
3. Miles Wood
4. Andreas Athanasiou
5. Dylan Larkin
6. Erik Karlsson
7. Carl Hagelin
8. Taylor Hall
9. Matt Duchene
10. Nathan MacKinnon

Fixed for you. McDavid is just flat out faster than anyone I've ever seen. And the fact he can control the puck at that speed makes him #1 favorite IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 24, 2006
These things are always tough to rank as a casual observer. Does the NHL accumulate team testing and keep it somewhere?

As a Jets fan, I will say that Nikolaj Ehlers is probably the fastest Jet. Blake Wheeler is also very fast, especially for a guy his size.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
There are so many blazing fast guys and the differences between them are so small that making a top 10 list is basically impossible.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
There are so many blazing fast guys and the differences between them are so small that making a top 10 list is basically impossible.

There's also the matter of being able to make plays at that speed - i.e. effective speed. Agility, acceleration and puck control all come in at that point, not just top end speed. For the Jets, it's why Ehlers seems so much faster than Wheeler. Both have great top end speed, but Ehlers can change directions and make plays with the puck going full speed.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
As most other Rangers fans have stated, Kreider is faster than Hagelin. Hagelin has much better agility, but in a race, Kreider will beat Hagelin down the ice 9 times out of 10.

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013

From almost standing still to.. rocket mode. lol

Always thought Byron fast, but in this clip it looks like Preds D Irwin keeps up and pretty much catches him by the end (though he misplays it), so not a great illustration.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
How is Crosby mentioned. He might be one of the best skaters, since his balance is top notch, but he are not close the fastest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad