3. Andreas Athanasiou
4. Connor McDavid
5. Dylan Larkin
6. Erik Karlsson
7. Carl Hagelin
8. Taylor Hall
9. Matt Duchene
10. Nathan MacKinnon

Honourable Mention goes to Phil Kessel in his Maple Leafs days.

If i missed anybody, give me some slack because i made this list off the top of my head.

What's your list?

you missed paul " breakaway" byron who is crazy fast and should be on the list.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
My list:

1. Michael Grabner
2. Miles Wood
3. Andreas Athanasiou
4. Connor McDavid
5. Dylan Larkin
6. Erik Karlsson
7. Carl Hagelin
8. Taylor Hall
9. Matt Duchene
10. Nathan MacKinnon

Honourable Mention goes to Phil Kessel in his Maple Leafs days.

If i missed anybody, give me some slack because i made this list off the top of my head.

What's your list?

Kreider is actually faster than Hagelin in some ways. Kreider is at worst top 10 and easily top 5 in terms of speed. He scores so many goals just like Grabner, by flying past his opponents.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I think Grabner has to be the only one on the list that would be clear cut #1. Blew by Seth Jones the other night like he was standing still.

Then the next 4 are really close. All of them completely on a different level of speed.

2) Athanasiou
3) Hagelin
4) Larkin
5) Byron

Then the rest of the pack.

6) McDavid
7) Kreider
8) MacKinnon
9) Karlsson
10) Wood

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Not the fastest skater but one of the best first steps is Pacioretty. In one or two strides he can separate himself completely from any defender. He can only keep it up a few steps though.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Ehlers beat Larkin's ASG time in the recent Jets skills competition. Ehlers is elite in zone entries. Everyone backs off due to his speed and agility.

Watch out for Ehlers, he'll be owning your d-men for years to come.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
It seems to be that McDavid and speed have become synonymous with all the talk he gets. But I think it may be overrated. Yes he is fast but there are faster. Who is in the tier above McDavid according to you guys?

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
I think Grabner has to be the only one on the list that would be clear cut #1. Blew by Seth Jones the other night like he was standing still.

Then the next 4 are really close. All of them completely on a different level of speed.

2) Athanasiou
3) Hagelin
4) Larkin
5) Byron

Then the rest of the pack.

6) McDavid
7) Kreider
8) MacKinnon
9) Karlsson
10) Wood

Kreider is faster then Hagelin up and down...was proven for years when they were on the same team.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
It seems to be that McDavid and speed have become synonymous with all the talk he gets. But I think it may be overrated. Yes he is fast but there are faster. Who is in the tier above McDavid according to you guys?

true but i think the thing with mcdavids speed is he still can stickhandle while flying with the puck

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Jonathan Drouin has gotten a lot faster since winning the NHL's skating competition in his rookie year. He was about the 4th fastest player on the team at the time. Now he's unquestionably the fastest. I think he's probably top-5 in the league.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Nobody can handle the puck at the speed McDavid does, that's why he is a freak.

Almost every name on the top ten list of people in this thread, don't have great hands.

That isn't even discussing McDavid's ability to stop, cut, and turn on a dime at full speed, which I've yet to see anyone in the league match, except maybe Crosby in his younger days.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is a really difficult list to put together. So many guys are so close, speed-wise, it's hard to say who is top 10. I bet if you had everyone's nominations race, you'd probably have a different winner 70% of the time. Probably 20-30 skaters in the NHL that could all be considered for fastest on any given day. A lot of guys you wouldn't even think of, have some ridiculous speed.

On the Hawks, Hinostroza's speed is absolutely amazing. He can fly out there when he wants to.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Someone asked for video proof.

There many spots in the video. I even think he blows by McDavid 6:15 in the vid.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Ehlers beat Larkin's ASG time in the recent Jets skills competition. Ehlers is elite in zone entries. Everyone backs off due to his speed and agility.

Watch out for Ehlers, he'll be owning your d-men for years to come.
Ehlers is an awesome player but in pure speed I don't think he's up among the very top names.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad