Post-Game Talk: Too Little Too Late - Jets Fall In Game 4 (2-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
About Laine’s penalty: He was sticking to his teammate like Scheif did when Wheelers was hit. I don’t recall people ****ting so much on him as they are now on Laine. Fact is that dirty play must not go unanswered, or next play will lead to injury being even dirtier. I bet the other Jets had no problem with Laine retaliating.

Wheeler had a problem with Scheifele retaliating, so a good chance he had one with Laine too.

Reactions: thegr8one66

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm just a lurker but some of you guys need to chill out. It's so obvious that the young players on this team need time and experience to push this team over the top. Morrissey, Schiefele and Trouba have been the only young players who have consistently performed to their talent level so far. Throw Tanev in there too, maybe Armia, maybe Hellebuyck though even he has had some bad games and goals against.

That leaves Connor, Laine, Ehlers, Lowry, Copp as underachievers in their 1st ever playoffs (other than a quick 4 games for Lowry) which is really to be expected. These guys are learning every game and are generally playing well but they are not scoring and you can see their frustration. Sure Myers/Hendricks/Maurice/Byfuglien make mistakes now and then, sometimes bad ones. But this team is still a work in progress and next year we will be scary good. All those young players with another year of experience, another year of chemistry with their teammates gained, and for the first time a taste of the satisfaction and frustration of being a Cup-contender in the playoffs.

This foaming-at-the-mouth reaction when we lose that a lot of you have is embarassing tbh. Stop with the hyperbole. We're gonna lose games and make mistakes and Maurice is gonna do stuff you don't agree with. Tough *******. Every mistake makes us better in the long run and in case you forgot, we're playing the best team in the league and are tied 2-2. To even get this far in the playoffs with this young upcoming core means our season has already been a success. If you don't think so you have very unrealistic expectations of where this team is at right now.

Why do people continually think Laine is underachieving:

Playoff stats:

.89 ppg, 2.28 p60 and CF% 55.71

Regular season stats:

.85 ppg, 2.00 P60 and CF% 50.14

Laine is performing just as well these playoffs if not slightly better than he did in the regular season its just he is getting less goals and more assists. People have short memories there where plenty of ups and downs in his game this past season which is to be expected of a very young player. His playoffs have been no different. He is most certainly not underachieving based on his career to date.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
@Conflicted Habs fan and @SLAYER, my condolences on your recent loss... :(

bets.png

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Playoff stats:

Regular season stats:

Laine is performing just as well these playoffs if not slightly better than he did in the regular season its just he is getting less goals and more assists. People have short memories there where plenty of ups and downs in his game this past season which is to be expected of a very young player. His playoffs have been no different. He is most certainly not underachieving based on his career to date.

The only thing that irks me and about Laine in that game is he absolutely turned it on in the last 2 minutes. Where the heck was that effort for the other 58? Same could be said for a lot of the other guys. I mean they dick around for the last 2 periods with minimal effort and then all the sudden wake up with 2 minutes to go? That really irked me.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
So, 2 days ago we were up 2-1 in the series and looking good to get through to the 3rd round and today we are a 3 line team with a hopeless coach and no chance of winning.

th

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
Maurice is a good coach but his in game adjustment is not that great. This is the 3rd game this year , the Preds adjusted their game against the Jets and they won.

If Maurice can adjust in the moment he would be one of the best coach of all time.

Thanks Jetsfareast. After a game like last nights i really needed a laugh. Unless your serious of course in which case i say "pass that blunt over here. I could use a hit of that stuff"

Reactions: thegr8one66

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
The sample of Hendricks career paints him in the same brush. He is a fringe player that can't keep up. Its not just the stats but the eye test that says he's been awful these playoffs. Can you please point to what he is actually bringing to the team right now? He can't be trusted to play much, he can't keep up in the play, even his super hustling isn't at all on display as he can't get to the puck quick enough to actually battle. He is losing ever battle as well. He is doing nothing out there.

If Matt Hendricks was the reason that 1 of our lines is playing less than 10 minutes why wouldn't PoMo just double shift one of our other LW?

Its more complicated than that.

We only had 2 forwards over 20 mins last night. Stats line was just under 20 mins.

Do we want to take minutes away from those players? That doesn't feel like too many minutes from them at this point in the playoffs.

And if we do take minutes away from them shouldn't we play Lowry and his line more than 14 minutes? They were awesome last night compared to everyone else.

How does Roslovic for Hendricks turn our team into unbeatable? Who's minutes do we take away so we can play our 4th line more?

Once again my argument isn't that I want Hendricks in the lineup it's that he's frankly irrelevant to winning or loosing in that role compared to Roslovic especially when Chef/Stats are worse than Lowry, Laine is shooting 6%, Connor and Ehlers have combined for 0 goals and Chariot/Myers continue to treat the puck like a hand grenade in 2 zones.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
The only thing that irks me and about Laine in that game is he absolutely turned it on in the last 2 minutes. Where the heck was that effort for the other 58? Same could be said for a lot of the other guys. I mean they dick around for the last 2 periods with minimal effort and then all the sudden wake up with 2 minutes to go? That really irked me.
I'm not sure I'd go so far to say minimal effort but they certainly needed to play with more conviction the whole game. I think when people talk about the learning curve of what it takes to win in the playoffs, it's this. You have to be committed every shift, you need to bring it all the time. This is what young players struggle with imo, the fact that you can't afford letdowns.

Reactions: Daximus

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
About Laine’s penalty: He was sticking to his teammate like Scheif did when Wheelers was hit. I don’t recall people ****ting so much on him as they are now on Laine. Fact is that dirty play must not go unanswered, or next play will lead to injury being even dirtier. I bet the other Jets had no problem with Laine retaliating.
Laine did exactly what Nashville wanted. Laine barely pushed Josi and he went for a big dive. The refs are too stupid to realize that.

Reactions: ocdaddy

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
Utterly boring game to watch especially after the amazeballs that was the previous game but the one thing most of us have learnt this season is we typically bounce back really well so I'm very hopefully a stronger game will be played Saturday. When we are physical and use our speed there is no team in the league that can outplay us, Jets in 6.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm not sure I'd go so far to say minimal effort but they certainly needed to play with more conviction the whole game. I think when people talk about the learning curve of what it takes to win in the playoffs, it's this. You have to be committed every shift, you need to bring it all the time. This is what young players struggle with imo, the fact that you can't afford letdowns.

Yeah there really isn't any room for learning and making mistakes here. That's what the regular season is for. The playoffs you have to be committed to winning every single mini battle on the ice. Committed to going turbo all game because if you only turn it on when your down in the last few minutes of the game you will lose far more than you will win.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
After those last few tweets from Perreault, I would really love to hear Maurice's explanation (although we won't get it), on why he kept Perreault out of the lineup. If it's something as asinine as not wanting to add 2 players into the roster because he doesn't like that much change and line changing, I'll be extremely disappointed in Maurice. If that's the case, and you add that into a complete inability to coach the team on the fly to compensate for what the Preds were doing in the neutral zone, it's depressing.

Reactions: Guerzy

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
If Matt Hendricks was the reason that 1 of our lines is playing less than 10 minutes why wouldn't PoMo just double shift one of our other LW?

Its more complicated than that.

We only had 2 forwards over 20 mins last night. Stats line was just under 20 mins.

Do we want to take minutes away from those players? That doesn't feel like too many minutes from them at this point in the playoffs.

And if we do take minutes away from them shouldn't we play Lowry and his line more than 14 minutes? They were awesome last night compared to everyone else.

How does Roslovic for Hendricks turn our team into unbeatable? Who's minutes do we take away so we can play our 4th line more?

Once again my argument isn't that I want Hendricks in the lineup it's that he's frankly irrelevant to winning or loosing in that role compared to Roslovic especially when Chef/Stats are worse than Lowry, Laine is shooting 6%, Connor and Ehlers have combined for 0 goals and Chariot/Myers continue to treat the puck like a hand grenade in 2 zones.

This isn't the point to me and I think it distorts the argument. Roslo simply gives that line a better chance of being effective offensively, nothing more than that. It's not about taking minutes away from other lines, it's about making them as good as they can be for the time they are out there. I don't know why the difference has to be that dramatic, if it gives the Jets a slight uptick in chances for, do it, maybe it does make a difference.

I find the argument that it's all irrelevant anyway to be a cop out.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

Playoff stats:

Regular season stats:

I think he's been playing well but I do expect Laine to score on more than roughly 5% of his shots (never mind shot attempts) so in that regard I'm a little underwhelmed.

I'll take the assists but I think by and large most people would assume Laine gets a few more goals or 40 or 50 shot attempts.

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm just a lurker but some of you guys need to chill out. It's so obvious that the young players on this team need time and experience to push this team over the top. Morrissey, Schiefele and Trouba have been the only young players who have consistently performed to their talent level so far. Throw Tanev in there too, maybe Armia, maybe Hellebuyck though even he has had some bad games and goals against.

That leaves Connor, Laine, Ehlers, Lowry, Copp as underachievers in their 1st ever playoffs (other than a quick 4 games for Lowry) which is really to be expected. These guys are learning every game and are generally playing well but they are not scoring and you can see their frustration. Sure Myers/Hendricks/Maurice/Byfuglien make mistakes now and then, sometimes bad ones. But this team is still a work in progress and next year we will be scary good. All those young players with another year of experience, another year of chemistry with their teammates gained, and for the first time a taste of the satisfaction and frustration of being a Cup-contender in the playoffs.

This foaming-at-the-mouth reaction when we lose that a lot of you have is embarassing tbh. Stop with the hyperbole. We're gonna lose games and make mistakes and Maurice is gonna do stuff you don't agree with. Tough *******. Every mistake makes us better in the long run and in case you forgot, we're playing the best team in the league and are tied 2-2. To even get this far in the playoffs with this young upcoming core means our season has already been a success. If you don't think so you have very unrealistic expectations of where this team is at right now.
So let's be complacement with the same mistakes/decisions made game after game and just be happy to be here in the playofs tied 2-2 with NSH? Being successful isn't just participating in the playoffs. That's loser talk. Success is actually winning a championship. Tired of these "we're-young-so-it's-ok-if-we-lose mentalities"...and.."we're just learning how to play hockey in the playoffs". Winners don't think that way. They always think they have a chance to win regardless of the situation.

Problem is, we have a doofus coach that's not setting up the Jets to win. I've never been a fan of his, so this isn't some new opinion that came from a Game 4 loss.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Ken Wiebe is not employed by the Jets

He covers the Jets extensively. A lot of them do. You know what I meant by "team scribe", so being pedantic does us no service.

Also, there's this:

Said it was a coach's decision to hold him out. Would one of you guys tell me what to think about this? Last time I brought up my own thoughts, they were devaluated and dismissed.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
We will get Perreault back in and roll 4 lines in Nashville. This past game sucks cause Lavy caught Maurice with a bit of a rabbit out of a hat. Bad news is it worked. Good news is it's out of the bag.

I still think we will win this series but man did it get tougher after last night.

Maybe the crowd will be up to expectations too for game 6.

Buff needs to regain the focus he had through first four games. But he's played so well I'm confident he will.

Morrissey Trouba will probably be playing close to half the game Saturday and rightfully so.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I don't know about anyone else but I don't find it particularly healthy that Perreault is creating a bit of a side show about him playing or not. Do the Jets really need this distraction? Is this what the focus should be? A bit selfish imo.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think he's been playing well but I do expect Laine to score on more than roughly 5% of his shots (never mind shot attempts) so in that regard I'm a little underwhelmed.

I'll take the assists but I think by and large most people would assume Laine gets a few more goals or 40 or 50 shot attempts.
random-dots.jpg

Reactions: Saidin and mcpw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad