Post-Game Talk: Too Little Too Late - Jets Fall In Game 4 (2-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Those who dismiss the discussions here as negativity: I like to read all opinions and its easy to filter out the absurd or irrational. If these threads after a loss was just cheerleading it would be boring as hell.
It is being negative without actually making a point that is just noise IMO. There are some very good posters who take the time to explain a position they don't like, to me this is not negativity. I'm quite interested in these opinions actually. Children are capable of yelling someone sucks over and over again. Doesn't make for good discussion.

Reactions: Babooch and Ducky10

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Do you really think Roslovic in for Hendricks would have that line playing more in most of these game situations?

Mathieu Perrault is about the only player who's addition could turn us into a 4th line time.

Roslo is a good young player but frankly unless you hit the blender hard he doesn't make us a 4 line team against the preds. Certainly not with Copp at center, and most likely not even if you switch little back to center.

Here's 5 players. Which one do want in the lineup.

A) CF% 43.7 P60 0.69
B) CF% 47.5 P60 1.04
C) CF% 49.9 P60 1.78
D) CF% 48.3 P60 2.3
E) CF% 47.9 P60 0.91

Playoff stats:

A) CF% 42.37 p60 0.00
B) CF% 49.47 P60 1.83

Which one is Hendricks and which one is Roslovic?

Hendricks has been bad these playoffs, there is no defending his play whereas Roslovic has performed quite well in a limited role. It isn't smart coaching to keep the ineffective anchor in the lineup at the expense of a player who offers speed, scoring and better possesion numbers.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Until the Subban goal I thought the Jets were playing a pretty damn good game. Nashville didn’t bother forechecking after that and the Jets didn’t adjust, maybe because they were timid about dumping the puck into Rinne. A couple of adjustments and I’d say they’re the favourites.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
One way or another, I think we need to roll, 55, 25, 18, 17 down the middle. Gotta roll 4 against NSH and thats the only way we can do it. Plus, of course play our best D pairing a little more. I thought Maurice was very slow to adjust in game.

Reactions: thegr8one66

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Agreed on all accounts. The moment is very big if you have never been there before.
I think that's over-analyzing. Playoff's are still the same sport. Just with the volume turned up. Things are a just little tighter. They're pros, they've all been in important games throughout their lives. This is only the 2nd round of the playoffs. Suck it up and be the hardest worker out there.

Reactions: Board Bard

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I didn't realize that they left it up to Wiebe to make official announcements on players health, rather than someone actually employed by the team.

Maurice made the announcement himself with his remark about yellow jerseys. It doesn't take an engraved press release.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Playoff stats:

A) CF% 42.37 p60 0.00
B) CF% 49.47 P60 1.83

Which one is Hendricks and which one is Roslovic?

Hendricks has been bad these playoffs, there is no defending his play whereas Roslovic has performed quite well in a limited role. It isn't smart coaching to keep the ineffective anchor in the lineup at the expense of a player who offers speed, scoring and better possesion numbers.

Small sample you're using there. What do all the stats guys say about small samples?

I prefer Roslo over Hendricks but the 2 players aren't going to change the outcome of this series.

If it was MP and Hendricks then I could see it considering how f***ing good MP is compared to Hendricks or Roslo and the fact he's proven to be that good over his career. But even then...

It's 1 player playing in the role that has the least amount of effect on the entire team.

If Tanev/Lowry/Little is the Jets best line that's enough to beat most teams in the NHL but we a playing a pretty f***ing good team on the otherside so I'm going to look for a little more production from the Chef and Stats lines compared to what they did last night instead of pinning all this on a switch between 2 players that wouldn't see more than 10ish minutes anyways.

Reactions: Jet

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Agreed with this. Personally I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'm been jealous of other fan bases getting to experience this when we didn't have a team and then when we had a young team not yet ready. Few teams ever win the cup without experiencing huge swings of emotions and a mountain of adversity. If we ever find our way to a cup what we have experienced so far is a little ripple in a pond.

I'm just enjoying this as well. Win loose or draw I've probably got to watch the 2 best hockey games I've ever seen in my life. (Games 2 and 3)

It's fun, I'm trying to enjoy the ride.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Small sample you're using there. What do all the stats guys say about small samples?

I prefer Roslo over Hendricks but the 2 players aren't going to change the outcome of this series.

If it was MP and Hendricks then I could see it considering how ****ing good MP is compared to Hendricks or Roslo and the fact he's proven to be that good over his career. But even then...

It's 1 player playing in the role that has the least amount of effect on the entire team.

If Tanev/Lowry/Little is the Jets best line that's enough to beat most teams in the NHL but we a playing a pretty ****ing good team on the otherside so I'm going to look for a little more production from the Chef and Stats lines compared to what they did last night instead of pinning all this on a switch between 2 players that wouldn't see more than 10ish minutes anyways.
You are forgetting that having a capable 4th line that can handle 10+ minutes gives your scoring lines fresher legs and a better chance to play their best hockey instead of being gassed halfway through the game.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
You are forgetting that having a capable 4th line that can handle 10+ minutes gives your scoring lines fresher legs and a better chance to play their best hockey instead of being gassed halfway through the game.

No I'm not forgetting that. It's the Stanely Cup playoffs I want my best players playing the most unless we are winning or loosing big.

Personally I don't want to see Chef/Stats/Lowry on the bench in a close score game so we can put Copp/Roslo/Armia out more.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think that's over-analyzing. Playoff's are still the same sport. Just with the volume turned up. Things are a just little tighter. They're pros, they've all been in important games throughout their lives. This is only the 2nd round of the playoffs. Suck it up and be the hardest worker out there.
Handling ones nerves under extreme pressure is easier said than done. You hear coaches allude to finding a balance all the time. Smooth out the highs and lows. Finding energy when you are deflated and dissipating energy when you are elated. Some come naturally to it, but with experience it comes easier to everyone.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Frankly I think the Lowry line could have played more than their 14 minutes if you wanted to keep the top 2 lines fresher

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Agreed. Hoping he is ready soon. He will bring the tenacious fore-check that can help break down a trap.
Good puck mover as well, and will chip pucks in shallow and retrieve it.

Will be nice to get him back in.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Damn I'm late. Pretty deflating game. Missed some good chances early which bites in a close one.

I didn't think the Jets were on the same page most of the night and not as sharp as usual. Credit the Preds for rushing us constantly and disrupting our flow I guess but we need to play much quicker.

Tanev was awesome and Helly was good. Kyle Connor was at the other end of the spectrum along with Myers. Big Adam looks to be hurting again...something aint right.

For all the griping about Gramps and anticipation over Armia, did they even get 5 minutes? I realize we were behind but that isn't sustainable.

Patty busting the shutout was the only positive for me. I'm a bit worried now and have started my own clenching program.

Wouldn't hurt for the coaches to start looking at some zone entry options cuz that last 30 minutes was a clinic by the perds.

Reactions: Ducky10

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

If it was MP and Hendricks then I could see it considering how ****ing good MP is compared to Hendricks or Roslo and the fact he's proven to be that good over his career. But even then...

If Tanev/Lowry/Little is the Jets best line that's enough to beat most teams in the NHL but we a playing a pretty ****ing good team on the otherside so I'm going to look for a little more production from the Chef and Stats lines compared to what they did last night instead of pinning all this on a switch between 2 players that wouldn't see more than 10ish minutes anyways.

The sample of Hendricks career paints him in the same brush. He is a fringe player that can't keep up. Its not just the stats but the eye test that says he's been awful these playoffs. Can you please point to what he is actually bringing to the team right now? He can't be trusted to play much, he can't keep up in the play, even his super hustling isn't at all on display as he can't get to the puck quick enough to actually battle. He is losing ever battle as well. He is doing nothing out there.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm just a lurker but some of you guys need to chill out. It's so obvious that the young players on this team need time and experience to push this team over the top. Morrissey, Schiefele and Trouba have been the only young players who have consistently performed to their talent level so far. Throw Tanev in there too, maybe Armia, maybe Hellebuyck though even he has had some bad games and goals against.

That leaves Connor, Laine, Ehlers, Lowry, Copp as underachievers in their 1st ever playoffs (other than a quick 4 games for Lowry) which is really to be expected. These guys are learning every game and are generally playing well but they are not scoring and you can see their frustration. Sure Myers/Hendricks/Maurice/Byfuglien make mistakes now and then, sometimes bad ones. But this team is still a work in progress and next year we will be scary good. All those young players with another year of experience, another year of chemistry with their teammates gained, and for the first time a taste of the satisfaction and frustration of being a Cup-contender in the playoffs.

This foaming-at-the-mouth reaction when we lose that a lot of you have is embarassing tbh. Stop with the hyperbole. We're gonna lose games and make mistakes and Maurice is gonna do stuff you don't agree with. Tough titties. Every mistake makes us better in the long run and in case you forgot, we're playing the best team in the league and are tied 2-2. To even get this far in the playoffs with this young upcoming core means our season has already been a success. If you don't think so you have very unrealistic expectations of where this team is at right now.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
LOL this place doesn't dissappoint.

Yes, Hendricks should not have stayed in for either Perreault or Roslovic. However, the Jets lost because:

Laine still can't find the net (yes he scored on a pretty lucky shot but how many shots did he miss early when the game was tied or we were only down one?
Connor and Ehlers still have not scored
Scheifele and Wheeler were mostly no shows
Jets pitched a no hitter
Byfuglien looked like he needed his skates sharpened and some bloody orange slices or something. Bad pinches and little energy.

But sure, blame Hendricks in for Perreault/ Roslo

Geez Louise.

Good thing is this team bounces back. Neither team has lost 2 in a row yet this playoffs - lets keep it this way and we will be fine.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
The sample of Hendricks career paints him in the same brush. He is a fringe player that can't keep up. Its not just the stats but the eye test that says he's been awful these playoffs. Can you please point to what he is actually bringing to the team right now? He can't be trusted to play much, he can't keep up in the play, even his super hustling isn't at all on display as he can't get to the puck quick enough to actually battle. He is losing ever battle as well. He is doing nothing out there.

Couldn’t agree more and now we are rendered to a 3 line hockey team which isn’t good in long playoff runs.

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
About Laine’s penalty: He was sticking to his teammate like Scheif did when Wheelers was hit. I don’t recall people shitting so much on him as they are now on Laine. Fact is that dirty play must not go unanswered, or next play will lead to injury being even dirtier. I bet the other Jets had no problem with Laine retaliating.

Reactions: Robinson2187
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad