Post-Game Talk: Too Little Too Late - Jets Fall In Game 4 (2-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I don't know about anyone else but I don't find it particularly healthy that Perreault is creating a bit of a side show about him playing or not. Do the Jets really need this distraction? Is this what the focus should be? A bit selfish imo.

There is nothing side show or controversial about what Perreault said. Everyone knew before the game that he was ready and cleared to play, and that if he didn't it would be because the coach didn't want him in the lineup. All he did was restate what everyone knew yesterday and in fact what he already said yesterday.

The controversy is simply because no one in hockey can for the life of them figure out why a coach would make a choice to play Hendricks over Perreault.

Maurice's decision is the controversy, not what Frenchy or anyone else said before or after the game.

YetAnotherGM

Jan 8, 2014
The only thing that kept 15,000 people from nodding off is the fact it was a playoff game. If this had been a regular season game mid-week in January you would have heard people snoring.

The way the Jets played last night reminded me of the game when they lost to Chicago with the accountant playing as goalie. I stopped watching after the second period yesterday.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
After several hours away from anything hockey related, I concluded that this isn't the end of the world. The Jets are tied 2-2 in the Central Division (most competitive Division for several years running BTW) Final with the President's Cup trophy winner, a team that was a Stanley Cup finalist last year. So far the series has seen both coaches make adjustments prior to and within each game, and I expect Maurice will adjust accordingly for Saturday's tilt. Personally, I fully expected this series to go six or seven games, and I figure it's about a 50/50 proposition that the Jets win.

I don't want to "fan shame" here, but anybody expecting the Predators to lie down and let the Jets roll over them in four or five games is being unrealistic.

I hope the Jets win in Nashville on Saturday, and then gloriously win the series on home ice on Monday, but if that's not in the cards, I'm going to be okay with it*, because the team, players and organization far exceeded my expectations going into this season.

Go Jets Go!

* Excepting if Hendricks is in the lineup - I believe we're all in agreement on that point.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Plain and simple the Preds protected their lead with solid neutral zone play and the Jets had no answer.

Don't get down two goals and the Jet's effort would have looked much different.

With that said where was the energy? Fans tonight were a disgrace. Maurice needed a time our to wake them up.

News flash, it's the Stanley Cup playoffs. Make some noise.

News flash the Jets responded from 3 goals down only a game ago on the back of crowd energy. You're all pitiful for waiting until there was a minute remaining to remind them you care.

News flash its been 31 years since a second round series has been played in Winnipeg. Pent up frustration alone should have had the MTS Centre buzzing. This is a coin flip league and the only edge is home ice.

Do your part Winnipeg! You all stank tonight. An utter embarrassment.

My thoughts with respect to the crowd, having been there both nights; last night’s was definitely louder to start the game...but petered out quick.

Tuesday night the crowd was doing nothing till Stats scored. Once we got the first goal, yes the crowd helped will the team along.

Last night, Jets did nothing with their play to wake up the crowd...and neither did the people running the scoreboard and music. I’m not sure if I saw the “noisemeter” more than a half dozen times last night. It does help pump up the crowd throwing that thing up there!

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
I liked Hendricks' veteran leadership and play during the regular season but I've got to agree that he's turned into a bit of a liability at this stage of the play-offs. He looks like a tired, late thirties player who's probably had enough of trying to keep up. My sense is he won't see the ice the rest of this round and the next, should the Jets advance. No insult intended, but he probably played one game too much, assuming others were healthy enough to replace him.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
I liked Hendricks' veteran leadership and play during the regular season but I've got to agree that he's turned into a bit of a liability at this stage of the play-offs. He looks like a tired, late thirties player who's probably had enough of trying to keep up. My sense is he won't see the ice the rest of this round and the next, should the Jets advance. No insult intended, but he probably played one game too much, assuming others were healthy enough to replace him.
Exactly! He's a man with nothing left to give when everyone else has taken it to another level. He can't and thus why he looks so much worse out there than he did all season!!!

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I think you confuse the people "*****ing" about it with those who want to have an actual rational discussion about it. You seem to want to spin everyone's argument into this being the reason the Jets lost and it was the most important factor. Only a few extreme people are hanging their hat on that. 19th most impact or not, Roslovic represented a better opportunity for the Jets to produce offensively for the 8 minutes 5v5 he would have been out there with Copp and Armia, so do it. Optimize your lineup when you have the choice, that's all. Maurice isn't the dumbest guy alive because he didn't do it, but it's ok to say he should have.

Frankly I didn't think I'm the one being irrational.

Maybe my judgements been clouded by having to read a million posts in every thread about Hendricks.

I'll just stop and save my sanity.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm just a lurker but some of you guys need to chill out. It's so obvious that the young players on this team need time and experience to push this team over the top. Morrissey, Schiefele and Trouba have been the only young players who have consistently performed to their talent level so far. Throw Tanev in there too, maybe Armia, maybe Hellebuyck though even he has had some bad games and goals against.

That leaves Connor, Laine, Ehlers, Lowry, Copp as underachievers in their 1st ever playoffs (other than a quick 4 games for Lowry) which is really to be expected. These guys are learning every game and are generally playing well but they are not scoring and you can see their frustration. Sure Myers/Hendricks/Maurice/Byfuglien make mistakes now and then, sometimes bad ones. But this team is still a work in progress and next year we will be scary good. All those young players with another year of experience, another year of chemistry with their teammates gained, and for the first time a taste of the satisfaction and frustration of being a Cup-contender in the playoffs.

This foaming-at-the-mouth reaction when we lose that a lot of you have is embarassing tbh. Stop with the hyperbole. We're gonna lose games and make mistakes and Maurice is gonna do stuff you don't agree with. Tough *******. Every mistake makes us better in the long run and in case you forgot, we're playing the best team in the league and are tied 2-2. To even get this far in the playoffs with this young upcoming core means our season has already been a success. If you don't think so you have very unrealistic expectations of where this team is at right now.
You should lurk less and post more :thumbu:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Frankly I didn't think I'm the one being irrational.

Maybe my judgements been clouded by having to read a million posts in every thread about Hendricks.

I'll just stop and save my sanity.
Me either and ditto.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I complained about this in the GDT already, but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the home crowd last night. This was a game where the crowd could've made a difference for once. You could see for a big part of the game the arena pretty much died along with the Jets game as Nashville managed to completely take the flow out of their game. I honestly believe a good crowd could've made a difference. When the arena goes dead like that, it just reinforces for the Jets nothing is happening and boosts the feeling Nashville has that they've got things under control. Now if you got a thundering crowd with urgent chants instead, I think it could really change the vibe for the players of both teams. The Preds will feel more like they are under pressure and the Jets will feel more like they are actually doing something. The crowd doesn't have to follow what's going on on the ice, they can take active part in changing that by acting against what happens in the play. The crowd last night didn't do that.
You know how the crowd could have made a big difference last night? If the Jets had scored before 59:15 had expired.

The crowd can't play the game, if the Jets want to get them involved and be a factor, they need to do something that warrants it. As it was, there was no lack of trying in the crowd's part, the game just lacked the spark that ignited it. It's not natural to cheer for something that doesn't illicit the response.

We aren't Nashville.

suihkukone

Mar 12, 2017
Denmark
I think Maurice said clearly in the pregame interview that he don't want to make several changes in the lineup. I take it that Armia was the healthier of the two forwards and Perrault will be in for the 5th game. One change at a time.

Not that I expect him instantly to make it rain. I like the 4th line Jesus, but assuming Hendricks comes out, that's replacing player with 2 goals in the last 30 games by -- let's see -- 2 goals in the last 30 games for Perrault.
However, if the coach can then run 4 lines like in the 1st series they don't have to worry about matchups. So hoping to see tomorrow:
Perrault - Little - Armia/Roslo as our 3rd (4th) line and
Copp-Lowry-Tanev as 4th (3rd).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wonder how Chevy feels about Maurice playing his $700k glue guy instead of his $4.1M bottom-6 match-up nightmare in a crucial 2nd round playoff game...

Okay, enough about that.

The Jets' young offensive players need to break the ice. They need more from Ehlers and Connor.

I really want to see the Jets' perfect line-up...

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Stastny-Laine
Perreault-Little-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

That right there looks like a Cup-level line-up.

You can do this, Maurice.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Maurice said clearly in the pregame interview that he don't want to make several changes in the lineup. I take it that Armia was the healthier of the two forwards and Perrault will be in for the 5th game. One change at a time.

Not that I expect him instantly to make it rain. I like the 4th line Jesus, but assuming Hendricks comes out, that's replacing player with 2 goals in the last 30 games by -- let's see -- 2 goals in the last 30 games for Perrault.
However, if the coach can then run 4 lines like in the 1st series they don't have to worry about matchups. So hoping to see tomorrow:
Perrault - Little - Armia/Roslo as our 3rd (4th) line and
Copp-Lowry-Tanev as 4th (3rd).
Doesn't want too many changes in the line-up, but is rarely shy to bring out the line blender? Does not compute.

Playing 6-7 minutes a night, it's kinda weird to worry about 4th line "chemistry", isn't it?

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
The key is simplicity and speed. We have the speed we just need to keep it simple

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Doesn't want too many changes in the line-up, but is rarely shy to bring out the line blender? Does not compute.

Playing 6-7 minutes a night, it's kinda weird to worry about 4th line "chemistry", isn't it?
Not really an apples to apples comparison IMO

suihkukone

Mar 12, 2017
Denmark

Last year he was not shy, but this year he has been reluctant to make changes IMO.
Anyways, wasn't analyzing what he said any further, but just got the impression that he's introducing players in gradually.
edit: Yes I know it does not make much sense.

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
I complained about this in the GDT already, but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the home crowd last night. This was a game where the crowd could've made a difference for once. You could see for a big part of the game the arena pretty much died along with the Jets game as Nashville managed to completely take the flow out of their game. I honestly believe a good crowd could've made a difference. When the arena goes dead like that, it just reinforces for the Jets nothing is happening and boosts the feeling Nashville has that they've got things under control. Now if you got a thundering crowd with urgent chants instead, I think it could really change the vibe for the players of both teams. The Preds will feel more like they are under pressure and the Jets will feel more like they are actually doing something. The crowd doesn't have to follow what's going on on the ice, they can take active part in changing that by acting against what happens in the play. The crowd last night didn't do that.

I was in the crowd and trust me for what was seen on the ice they were pretty loud and into it reaching 110db. Crowd still believed and was chanting. Props to them because seeing that performance live was frustrating. All we needed was one goal earlier then would have ignited everyone. Too bad it came too late.

Reactions: surixon and Cellee

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I thought that the Jet's should have left Helly on the bench after Laine scored his goal. There was less than a minute remaining, so I think the risk/reward would have been acceptable to put out the extra player right from the draw and hope we win the faceoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->