Player Discussion Tomas Tatar (Part Two-na)

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-7-4_13-28-25.png

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
With Freidman reporting the cap will stay flat for the next 2 seasons, I think (barring trades) it's going to come down to Tatar vs Armia. I think Danault, Gallagher and Petry all get signed unless something crazy happens. I've done too many cap friendly scenarios and losing Byron and likely Chiarot is a given. But you will still likely not have enough cap left for Tatar and Armia.

Again, barring a trade (perhaps for Josh Anderson...please), or Cole Caufield showing at the end of next season that he can immediately be a top 6 or even top 9 RW, we're pretty thin on RW. You probably see Drouin and Gallagher there. I know Tatar can play RW but I just see Armia as more important, relative to his cap hit. He's also something we don't have a ton of, being a big, physical winger with a great shot.

We'll see how it plays out but I wouldn't be surprised to see Tatar traded with 50% retention this offseason to a cap-strapped contender for a 1st +. I would then use that 1st + other assets to get a LD like Brodin or Dunn.

Drouin will be traded before parting ways with Tuna, unless there's a great offer for the latter, or the former gets better, but his own contract is also quickly running out.

You usually improve by removing your weakest link.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Drouin will be traded before parting ways with Tuna, unless there's a great offer for the latter, or the former gets better, but his own contract is also quickly running out.

Yeah I can understand why you’d say that but I really don’t see it that way. I think Drouin is maturing as a player, getting that consistency that all players need to reach their potential. Tatar is a great player but he’s not improving and likely won’t at this point. I think Drouin’s ceiling is higher and he has a dynamic, game breaking ability that Tatar does not. Tatar will be 30 when he’s ufa and won’t be any cheaper than Drouin. But this play in and next season will say a lot about Drouin. Tatar too I suppose as he hasn’t been very good in the playoffs where Drouin had a fantastic playoffs with Tampa a few years back. I really thought he was a beast - Tampa’s best forward during that run.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
IIHF - Tatar gears up for summer hockey

“The first three or four week (since the NHL season was interrupted), I was in Montreal where I healed of my injury. After that I moved to Slovakia, because I didn’t know how the whole situation would turn out. Coincidentally Slovakia started easing measures while in overseas things were going worse. So I started to work out in my fitness center Fit Fabric in Dubnica. Due to coronavirus restrictions it was closed for public, but as owner of the facility, I could be there on my own, which was great.”

“I seeked to strengthen myself to have a muscular foundation. On ice, I was working on technical things, like skills drills or power-skating. Later I moved these practices more and more into ice hockey situations.”

“Next contract: All these things could start to be discussed from 1st of July. But by the whole current situations everything has to move to later dates and CBA doesn’t allow contract discussions at the moment. We’ll see, what'll happen. But I think all managers have to think about other things right now. For me I really like to be in Montreal. But on the other side, I could try free agency for the first time in my career. So, we’ll see what future shows us.”

Reactions: Pomee

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

“The first three or four week (since the NHL season was interrupted), I was in Montreal where I healed of my injury. After that I moved to Slovakia, because I didn’t know how the whole situation would turn out. Coincidentally Slovakia started easing measures while in overseas things were going worse. So I started to work out in my fitness center Fit Fabric in Dubnica. Due to coronavirus restrictions it was closed for public, but as owner of the facility, I could be there on my own, which was great.”

“I seeked to strengthen myself to have a muscular foundation. On ice, I was working on technical things, like skills drills or power-skating. Later I moved these practices more and more into ice hockey situations.”

“Next contract: All these things could start to be discussed from 1st of July. But by the whole current situations everything has to move to later dates and CBA doesn’t allow contract discussions at the moment. We’ll see, what'll happen. But I think all managers have to think about other things right now. For me I really like to be in Montreal. But on the other side, I could try free agency for the first time in my career. So, we’ll see what future shows us.”

5 years at $6.5M with July money up front.... lets say 50% of the contract paid in July. We can talk to him after October. Same with Gallagher, Petry, Danault, Armia. If they all want to stay on fair deals to them and the team, keep them. If they want to get absolute max deals, trade them before the 21 deadline. Pretty simple

Reactions: Redux91

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

You're in for a big surprise then lol

Tuna has been fantastic, love him
But he remains slower and older.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Tatar-PressConference(20/07/27)

“To be honest, it's not bad at all. I was a little bit skeptical as well just because we couldn't really choose the hub city until the last minute. But so far it's been great. It's kinda nice to hangout with the boys again. In Montreal before the start of the Phase 4,we had to go home after the practices. Here we're together. We can hangout together more. They actually set up a lot of lounges for us where we've different games. It's kinda nice. We get to spend more time together which is good. The first day was awesome so far.”

“Well it's gonna be a good test for us against the Leafs. Obviously we gotta be ready for the playoff series. This is great opportunity. There are some rivalries between our teams.”

“We're hoping that the fans gonna enjoy the games. We can work and get better. I'm kinda excited.”

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
With Freidman reporting the cap will stay flat for the next 2 seasons, I think (barring trades) it's going to come down to Tatar vs Armia. I think Danault, Gallagher and Petry all get signed unless something crazy happens. I've done too many cap friendly scenarios and losing Byron and likely Chiarot is a given. But you will still likely not have enough cap left for Tatar and Armia.

Again, barring a trade (perhaps for Josh Anderson...please), or Cole Caufield showing at the end of next season that he can immediately be a top 6 or even top 9 RW, we're pretty thin on RW. You probably see Drouin and Gallagher there. I know Tatar can play RW but I just see Armia as more important, relative to his cap hit. He's also something we don't have a ton of, being a big, physical winger with a great shot.

We'll see how it plays out but I wouldn't be surprised to see Tatar traded with 50% retention this offseason to a cap-strapped contender for a 1st +. I would then use that 1st + other assets to get a LD like Brodin or Dunn.

Why Josh Anderson specifically, he doesn't seem like anything special?
I think we flip Petry at the TDL, especially if a guy like Fleury takes a leap forward. Tatar looks like another target who would be flipped at the TDL if the team does poorly, but he's my favorite forward on the Habs right now.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

gone next summer maybe ?

mynamejeff420

Apr 14, 2020

Sure Armia plays a position with weaker depth, but Tatar is miles better than Armia. In Tatar we have a legit top line LW, and with Armia we have a 2nd/3rd line winger. They just aren't comparable. Even then, our depth at LW isn't really strong enough to absorb a loss to Tatar. Who would we stick on the top line if he were to leave, Drouin? Drouin manages to do the impossible and make a line with Danault and Gallagher suck.

If we really wanted to keep both Tatar and Armia (Armia is nice as cheap depth but we shouldn't be trading talent away to keep him, he's not that good) we should just trade Drouin. He's not that good offensively and he's terrible defensively. Like even if we didn't need to trade Drouin to keep both Tatar and Armia, we should do it, because he's really bad.

Tatar, Gallagher, Byron, Lehkonen, Armia, Kotkaniemi/Domi/Suzuki. There's your top 9 wingers, with Danault, Domi/Suzuki/Kotkaniemi, Domi/Suzuki/Kotkaniemi as your top 3 centres. Easy, simple, affordable, and solid.

Reactions: Pomee

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I see things how is it is going on right now and i'm pretty confident Domi is the odd man out. I like him as a player but i don't think he really likes it here. Also, habs should not trade good players for picks/prospects anymore. I think with this year's pick (even without winning Laf), we are good. So i don't think Tatar or Petry will be traded at next year deadline as rentals.

Off course though, if we win Lafrenière, there is case to trading Tatar.

Petry, i don't believe 1 seconde we will trade him. Right D depth is thin and young guys are not ready to take his place, far from it. Also, we don't know how Weber will decline, if at all. So losing Petry and having a declining Weber would make our D atrocious. Petry will be 33 when he becomes UFA. I think he likes it here and would settle for a 3 years deal at maybe 6,5M$/per. And i wouldn't be against giving him an extra year to lower the AAV to 5,5M$.

Jul 6, 2016
I would try Domi (lw) with Suzuki and Gally if Tatar doesn't wake up soon.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

Tatar addresses the media via Zoom from the NHL bubble in Toronto on Sunday (20/08/09):

“It's gonna be a tough round again. The Flyers are showing that they're a good team. They played pretty smooth throught the whole season, before the pandemic. They were top. They're a hard working team as well. They're well structured. They've four good line. They've a lot of experience. We're excited. So it's gonna be a tough challenge, but as was the first round we're going to be ready.”

“For sure, some guys played for Therrien. I didn't have that experience, so I don't know him that well... We just wanna win. It doesn't matter who's behind their bench, we gonna focus on ourselves and our structure...”

“Our job was to play against the Crosby's line. We did a solid job. Young guys were playing great, Kotkaniemi and Suzuki stepped up, they scored some important goals. The whole team did pretty well, that's why we advance. We pulled together, we're in one board. I think if everybody sacrifice like we did we've a chance to go to the next round too.”

“It looks better when our stats are higher. I think I had my chances. I wasn't fortunate to put the puck in. Obviously, it looks different on the sheet. To be honest, I'm not really concerned about that. We're here as a one team, we did go through, that's the part that we should focus on.”

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Good for Patches but my god this is looking like a helluva trade. I want to see what he does the rest of the playoffs. I'm 50/50 on trading him. He's our only trigger man at the moment but if he can bring a Pacioretty lite package, I'd consider it. Good game from him though.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Tatar-PressConference(20/08/14)

“You're getting these opportunities in games before, you just weren't fortunate to find the bounces. And it kind of gets stiffer and stiffer every game. Obviously, it was nice to find the net...”

“We really played the right way from the get-go. We jumped out of the gate really hard and it was an all-around team effort. At the end of the night, it doesn't matter who scores... It's just all about us and how we play. And I think we were really satisfied with tonight's game.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad