Player Discussion Tomas Tatar (Part Two-na)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You really think we're going to win anything with these guys?

If we add some pieces, I do think we can compete and be a top 5 to top 10 range team. A more mature center group and a top 4LD like Brodin, Leddy, Ghost, Yandle could change things. Habs knocked on the top 10 door and bottom 10 door in the last two seasons. I do believe we can be a better team in the Price/Weber window if we make a move now.

I would love to add Brodin with an extension. Leddy, Ghost, Yandle are just mentioned cause I do believe we can acquire without giving up a grade A asset of 1st round pick.

Better team D, More mature centers, and a better PP. It's not impossible to accomplish this in the Price/Weber window IMO.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-12_15-0-56.png

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Tatar accepted the invitation of the Slovak Olympic team by donating his blood to help save lives.
upload_2020-6-17_10-34-9.png

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Similar production to Parise, Patch, Perron, Kane, Forsberg, Kreider, Ehlers, Lee as LW forwards in the last 2 seasons.

30/31 in the 1st season of his next contract. 5 year deal at $6.5M? That's what Kreider just got. He got about 50% of his money up front each July too. I expect Tatar to get something like that. Hopefully he is OK with $6M AAV cause he wants to stay

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
This guy needs to stay the more I think about it. I think he likes it in Montreal as well. Both Gallagher and Tatar need to be extended before the next season starts. I would not extend Danault or Petry this off season unless they give us a team friendly deal to stay. After next season, we re evaluate. Pretty sure Danault is not greedy and will take a fair deal. Possible with Petry as well

I'm sold on Tuna, but i'm still very wary of signing Gally long term, no matter how painful it would be to let him go. I guess it all depends on what he asks for.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm sold on Tuna, but i'm still very wary of signing Gally long term, no matter how painful it would be to let him go. I guess it all depends on what he asks for.

Wouldn't go past 35 for either player.

- Tatar for 4 or 5 years (age 30 - 34/35) At $6.5M (+/-). I think he takes that deal. He's likes it in Montreal and he's producing. If we give him a fair deal, I think he takes it. His AAV should be close to Nylander IMO.

- Gallagher for 6 or 7 years (Age 29-34/35) at $ 7M (max). Not that worried about Gallagher. He's likely our next captain and his game is not build on elite level skating. Guy is a fitness freak and earns his value by hard work and hockey IQ. His AAV should be a bit higher than Atkinson

We can find out what each of them want whenever the next off season is. If we get a feel they are after max deals, I would move them.

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018

Im also sold on keeping Tuna unless someone offers a ridiculous return. I also think that he will take a discount - when you have a good career with one team, get traded and within a matter of months start getting told you should retire - only to find new life with a 3rd team, you're probably not in a rush to see how you'll do on team #4. lol.

As for Gally... im sort of the same way. I like him - i love him - but just how long can that small frame handle that game? He's going to want a big contract with term i would imagine and i think his trade value would be super high to the right team.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I love Tatar. He asn't been dratfed by Timmin's bunch but by detroit's bunch who already drafted Zetter, Nillstr and Dats. Great respect for that detroit's bunch so great respect for Tatar.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Agreed. Tuna has so much talent whereas Gally depends on hard work. I wouldn't be surprised if BG falls off Jamie Benn style soon. I was also heavily against keeping Tuna, but I actually want to keep him now. A 4 year contract would be perfect because he will likely remain a good player if we decide to trade him later on, and it's not like Montreal has been able to acquire Tuna like players with ease. You need guys like him to play with a Suzuki or KK. Also he genuinely seems to love it here. I feel like it should take a ridiculous overpayment for him(like Newhook+1st) unless something changes drastically. I also think this guy is currently the most underrated Hab, nobody talks about him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed. Tuna has so much talent whereas Gally depends on hard work. I wouldn't be surprised if BG falls off Jamie Benn style soon. I was also heavily against keeping Tuna, but I actually want to keep him now. A 4 year contract would be perfect because he will likely remain a good player if we decide to trade him later on, and it's not like Montreal has been able to acquire Tuna like players with ease. You need guys like him to play with a Suzuki or KK. Also he genuinely seems to love it here. I feel like it should take a ridiculous overpayment for him(like Newhook+1st) unless something changes drastically. I also think this guy is currently the most underrated Hab, nobody talks about him.

If you can get a top rated young prospect alone for Tatar that you truly believe will be a good future top 6, like Suzuki, then you trade Tatar for that player straight up.

But, tanking considerations aside, no point in trading Tatar for a late 1st and a b level prospect, which is what most teams were probably offering.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you can get a top rated young prospect alone for Tatar that you truly believe will be a good future top 6, like Suzuki, then you trade Tatar for that player straight up.

But, tanking considerations aside, no point in trading Tatar for a late 1st and a b level prospect, which is what most teams were probably offering.

With Price and Weber on our roster, I say no. Without, I say yes. Trading Tatar for futures and ignoring the Price and Weber window might be a bigger mess than some realize. Trading them without retaining and getting fair value is difficult. We are stuck so I say, we should try to move up, vs down.

Full rebuild will come after Price and Weber are gone. Reality. I think we should still focus on the draft and accumulating picks but this should not be our only plan. This is a NHL team, not a CHL team.

Tatar needs to stay. We need him. If he is ok with taking a fair deal to the team and him, sign him! 4 or 5 years at $6.5M with lots of money up front in July... Get it done boys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad