Player Discussion Tomas Tatar (Part Two-na)

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Tvg7nN9.gif

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Tuna is lit. Whether it's the food or the hockey player. Satisfaction guaranteed of course.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yeah, it turns out that Montreal wasn't the only team to benefit from a scoring spike. Colour me shocked!
Last year 78th among forwards in ppg.
This year 33rd among forwards so far. WAY BETTER

So much for league scoring explaining his results.

How about our other unrepeatable season guys?

Gallagher 104th in ppg game last year, 48th this year WAY BETTER
Danault 96th in ppg last year, 59th this year WAY BETTER
Domi 50th last year, 68th this year NOT TERRIBLY OFF compared to year before trade 127th, so CLOSE TO REPEATING
Petry 19th among D last year, 23rd this year but Weber is sharing the spotlight and is 7th CLOSE ENOUGH

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Domi 50th last year, 68th this year NOT TERRIBLY OFF compared to year before trade 127th, so CLOSE TO REPEATING
Petry 19th among D last year, 23rd this year but Weber is sharing the spotlight and is 7th CLOSE ENOUGH
well, half the guys you named are BELOW last year PPG...

so you tell us, what about it ?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Plus, Domi has played most of this year with weaker players than last year. The emergence of Suzuki may really help Domi be back to last year's form.

KK and Byron are down from last year, but Armia and Lehkonen are up.

Overall the problem is our defense (and PK) this year. Gotta tighten up. And hopefully MB finds Kulak's replacement this summer.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

So there are 93 first line forwards in the league, and we have 4 guys 68th in scoring or better, however our best is only 33rd.

Only 11 players in the top 73 have a better plus-minus than the no-skill Phil Danault. Kidding aside, I think he is partly responsible for Tatar's success, but Tomas is also performing well on the power play which is nice.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
well, half the guys you named are BELOW last year PPG...

so you tell us, what about it ?
The ones who said the seasons were unsustainable were not saying that on average the group would be better this year.

The lesson is that with players under 30, it is not at all uncommon for them to progress. Look at Marchand!

Reactions: 26Mats

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
The ones who said the seasons were unsustainable were not saying that on average the group would be better this year.

The lesson is that with players under 30, it is not at all uncommon for them to progress. Look at Marchand!
Theres no lesson here, come on now

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
It seems to me that Tatar is flexible with his body. In particular, when he's doing some moves and using his skills asset.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Theres no lesson here, come on now

imo, the lesson with Domi is that he's been misused all year.

How a player like him gets put out there with I've-lost-a-step Byron, Cousins, and Lehkonen for most of the season is a travesty.

He can play. Can we have him play with one of Galllagher and Tatar all year. Danault doesn't need both. Gallagher scored 30 playing with washed up Plekanec all year.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
It seems to me that Tatar is flexible with his body. In particular, when he's doing some moves and using his skills asset.
Tatar isn’t producing without Gallagher on his line... I wonder why? Maybe it’s because Danault sucks offensively. Throw Danault on the 3rd where he belongs and give Tatar Suzuki.

Tatar - Suzuki - Kovalchuk
Domi - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen

This is THE best top 6 we could assemble right now, but because of Danault’s feelings everyone else has to suffer. Claude gonna Claude.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Tatar isn’t producing without Gallagher on his line... I wonder why? Maybe it’s because Danault sucks offensively. Throw Danault on the 3rd where he belongs and give Tatar Suzuki.

This is THE best top 6 we could assemble right now, but because of Danault’s feelings everyone else has to suffer. Claude gonna Claude.

You know why he's obsessed with balancing his lineup though?

"The Habs are quick, they come at you in waves. They're relentless, they work hard."

How taxing is the above concept for our forwards? Right, so 30-35 second shifts are ****ing hell strictly because of Claude's gameplan. He wants them all to drag race down one end, stick check as much as possible and double back to the other end if they can't get the puck out of the opponent's transition play. They do this...... Every. God. Damn. Time.

Hence a reduced shift turnaround for the top 2 lines (our glamorous top 6) and a lot more shifts for the 3rd & 4th lines. Oh, but if you run them all like that (a lot more 'equally' in TOI than other teams) well that means every line needs to be able to score..! Let's balance the **** out of this lineup. Always, every game. So we can run the hard forechecking every night, man!!! That's Claude. Guy Boucher for instance had a totally different philosophy (which the Flyers mocked one time I believe).

.......and Guy Lafleur says, this is why we have four 4th lines. Yay.

Go Tuna. Jim from The Office was also Tuna.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Tatar and Petry to some team for draft picks, preferably firsts and I think that's reasonable.
Load up some more for our young wave.
Tatar has surprised me as the year has gone on. He's much better in our zone and he isn't taking the stupid penalties. But it's clear who drives that line, it's Gallagher. He is probably our most valuable forward right now.
And this team, which lacks that top tier player, is really hurt when guys like Drouin and Gallagher miss games.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

Why break up Suzuki/Domi. They are developing chemistry and could be good for years to come.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
LeBrun said last night that he knows for sure that some teams have circled Tatar as a possible deadline target. And he also talked about Petry's value. Compared the return to Muzzin and said the return should be what the Kings got but more! Big mobile D who puts up 40+ points and on a value contact. I've been saying that same thing for a while now.

I'm not desperate to move them but man, I'd love to know what we get offered for them... even if we don't move them this year.

Reactions: The Great Weise

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Ya it won't be popular on here, but MB should extend Tatar.

I know its popular opinion to trade him for MUH DRAFT PICKS, but I think we should offer Tatar 5x6 for 30 Million.

He will be 30 with the new contract, and we can be honest there is probably a less than 10% chance that the habs sign a UFA that can play on the 2nd line and score 20 G a season. The minute we lose Tatar we will be spending the next seasons lamanting that the team can't sign any UFA's to bolster the scoring.

If people were crying over not bringing back Radu, I don't see how you would not want to resign Tatar.

The 1st round pick that we get for him will take years and probably never get as many 20 G seasons as Tatar has. The guy has been one of the teams best offensive weapons since trading for him and you don't just replace that.

If he can sign for about 6 Million thats a great deal in todays NHL. When guys are getting 7 Million for 20 goal seasons, and top end guys getting 11 - 13 million, 50+ point Tatar at 6 Million is worth it.

Team has sat on cap space for years, UFA's aren't coming here, there is nothing to horde the cap space for. Resign Tatar.

Reactions: jaffy27

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Ya it won't be popular on here, but MB should extend Tatar.

I know its popular opinion to trade him for MUH DRAFT PICKS, but I think we should offer Tatar 5x6 for 30 Million.

He will be 30 with the new contract, and we can be honest there is probably a less than 10% chance that the habs sign a UFA that can play on the 2nd line and score 20 G a season. The minute we lose Tatar we will be spending the next seasons lamanting that the team can't sign any UFA's to bolster the scoring.

If people were crying over not bringing back Radu, I don't see how you would not want to resign Tatar.

The 1st round pick that we get for him will take years and probably never get as many 20 G seasons as Tatar has. The guy has been one of the teams best offensive weapons since trading for him and you don't just replace that.

If he can sign for about 6 Million thats a great deal in todays NHL. When guys are getting 7 Million for 20 goal seasons, and top end guys getting 11 - 13 million, 50+ point Tatar at 6 Million is worth it.

Team has sat on cap space for years, UFA's aren't coming here, there is nothing to horde the cap space for. Resign Tatar.
makes an AAV 5.3M right now
2 consecutive career years
cap increase

but yeah, he'll sign for 6, if he's a Pejorative Slur!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->