Player Discussion Tomas Tatar (Part Two-na)

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-22_11-10-30.png

upload_2020-6-22_11-10-53.png

upload_2020-6-22_11-11-13.png

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
With Price and Weber on our roster, I say no. Without, I say yes. Trading Tatar for futures and ignoring the Price and Weber window might be a bigger mess than some realize. Trading them without retaining and getting fair value is difficult. We are stuck so I say, we should try to move up, vs down.

Full rebuild will come after Price and Weber are gone. Reality. I think we should still focus on the draft and accumulating picks but this should not be our only plan. This is a NHL team, not a CHL team.

Tatar needs to stay. We need him. If he is ok with taking a fair deal to the team and him, sign him! 4 or 5 years at $6.5M with lots of money up front in July... Get it done boys

In 4 or 5 years I'll ask you if we should have traded Tatar in 2020 straight up for a 20 year old Suzuki level prospect and we'll see what your answer is.

It's similar not exactly the same, but similar to the Nordiques trading Mats Sundin to the Leafs for aging Wendel Clark. One had their whole career ahead of them and the other was winding down.

If you can get a really good prospect that your scouting staff is high on at the age of 20 for an aging veteran, gotta do it unless you're a serious contender.

But I have no info suggesting a team is willing to part with such a young prospect for Tatar.

And I'm a huge Tatar fan.

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018
In 4 or 5 years I'll ask you if we should have traded Tatar in 2020 straight up for a 20 year old Suzuki level prospect and we'll see what your answer is.

It's similar not exactly the same, but similar to the Nordiques trading Mats Sundin to the Leafs for aging Wendel Clark. One had their whole career ahead of them and the other was winding down.

If you can get a really good prospect that your scouting staff is high on at the age of 20 for an aging veteran, gotta do it unless you're a serious contender.

But I have no info suggesting a team is willing to part with such a young prospect for Tatar.

I agree. There are times (like if you're the current Penguins or Caps) where you dont make that trade but if you're still not ready for prime-time, like us, you make that deal, if available.

Problem is, I dont think its out there. Not straight up at least. That said, maybe there's a team out there that offers a blue chip top tier LD + a middle-six vet for Tatar + Mete. I dont want to lose Mete (or Tuna) but its the only way I see a team mitigating their loses.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I agree. There are times (like if you're the current Penguins or Caps) where you dont make that trade but if you're still not ready for prime-time, like us, you make that deal, if available.

Problem is, I dont think its out there. Not straight up at least. That said, maybe there's a team out there that offers a blue chip top tier LD + a middle-six vet for Tatar + Mete. I dont want to lose Mete (or Tuna) but its the only way I see a team mitigating their loses.

I honestly don't see the trade value for Mete as very high. I always consider him a throw-in to be a 3rd pairing D for another team that is already deep on LD and can afford to part with one of three top-4 LDs that are having a negative impact on their Cap. Good to great but, too expensive to keep with other areas to address.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

If a young prospect like Suzuki was on the table and a pick for Tatar, I would consider it. With me, it comes down to having Price and Weber on the roster for 3+ more years and I would try to move up in the standings in that span. I know a lot of our fan base wants more and more futures brought in but I would like a balance of both a great prospect pool and a team moving up the standings. We should not take having Price and Weber on our roster for granted.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If a young prospect like Suzuki was on the table and a pick for Tatar, I would consider it. With me, it comes down to having Price and Weber on the roster for 3+ more years and I would try to move up in the standings in that span. I know a lot of our fan base wants more and more futures brought in but I would like a balance of both a great prospect pool and a team moving up the standings. We should not take having Price and Weber on our roster for granted.

I just don't think MB knows what he's doing. I have zero confidence in him. Sure he'll make a few good bargain bin moves here and there, but that doesn't mean he can build a contender.

One of the things I really hate about him is he tries to present himself as the smartest guy in the room and I think he actually believes it. Why would he come out and say: I wanted to draft Morgan Rielly but my scouting staff didn't? Congrats, if true: you got 1 draft pick right, in 8 years, like that says anything... why would he say: Ryan Poehling will only be a 3rd line center, despite his first game where he got a hat trick. Yeah you knew it all along, that's why you said you'd refuse to trade him when Mark Stone was available at the deadline. And why come out and say he's a 3c at this stage in his development???

He even had the balls to say he took the team from 3rd to last to the eastern conference finals - when that team was 90% built by Savard, Hainey, and Gauthier. I wonder if he's so delusional that he really believes that.

The guy is overall clueless. We're going nowhere in the next three years. I think you're an excellent poster - so please don't get your Hope's up for the next 3 years. We're going nowhere. That's why I'm focused on the future.

And I would trade Tatar strait up for a Suzuki level prospect, don't need the first to be on the table. And I would have done the same in a Pacioretty trade. And I would do the same in Weber, Petry, and Price deals. Gotta load up on really really good prospects, with very high probabilities of succeeding.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I just don't think MB knows what he's doing. I have zero confidence in him. Sure he'll make a few good bargain bin moves here and there, but that doesn't mean he can build a contender.

One of the things I really hate about him is he tries to present himself as the smartest guy in the room and I think he actually believes it. Why would he come out and say: I wanted to draft Morgan Rielly but my scouting staff didn't? Congrats, if true: you got 1 draft pick right, in 8 years, like that says anything... why would he say: Ryan Poehling will only be a 3rd line center, despite his first game where he got a hat trick. Yeah you knew it all along, that's why you said you'd refuse to trade him when Mark Stone was available at the deadline. And why come out and say he's a 3c at this stage in his development???

The guy is overall clueless. We're going nowhere in the next three years. I think you're an excellent poster - so please don't get your Hope's up for the next 3 years. We're going nowhere. That's why I'm focused on the future.

And I would trade Tatar strait up for a Suzuki level prospect, don't need the first to be on the table. And I would have done the same in a Pacioretty trade. And I would do the same in Weber, Petry, and Price deals. Gotta load up on really really good prospects, with very high probabilities of succeeding.

Bergevin held onto both Galchenyuk and Patch and look at what he got in return. He's been much much better since that terrible 2017 off season and also since Dudley left. Bergevin is not clueless. He's being patient which is driving fans like you nuts.

I think he is terrible at talking to the fans through the media. He's got 2 years left in term and a shit load of guys to sign in the 21 off season. I'm watching what he does, not what he says to the media.

Fire Therrien and hired Julien and the results are actually worse. Mark my words, all you Habs fans are thinking the next guy will be for sure better than Bergevin right? We will see about that. Last thing I want is another guy learning on the job. I don't consider Bergevin a genius but he is no where near as bad as our fan base makes it out to be.

I trust Bergevin will manage Tatar well... trade him for valuable futures or get him on a fair deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: donghabs98

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Bergevin held onto both Galchenyuk and Patch and look at what he got in return. He's been much much better since that terrible 2017 off season and also since Dudley left. Bergevin is not clueless. He's being patient which is driving fans like you nuts.

I think he is terrible at talking to the fans through the media. He's got 2 years left in term and a shit load of guys to sign in the 21 off season. I'm watching what he does, not what he says to the media.

Fire Therrien and hired Julien and the results are actually worse. Mark my words, all you Habs fans are thinking the next guy will be for sure better than Bergevin right? We will see about that. Last thing I want is another guy learning on the job. I don't consider Bergevin a genius but he is no where near as bad as our fan base makes it out to be.

I trust Bergevin will manage Tatar well... trade him for valuable futures or get him on a fair deal.

At the end of the day we'll see in 3 years what Bergevin does in that time...

It's not some kind of patience on his part that you've apparently perceived that's driving me nuts.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At the end of the day we'll see in 3 years what Bergevin does in that time...

It's some kind of patience on his part that you've apparently perceived that's driving me nuts.

I like Patience cause it's smart but Bergevin started that strategy too late. I don't love or hate the guy as our GM but I do believe he is not the same GM that was struggling in 2017

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I like Patience cause it's smart but Bergevin started that strategy too late. I don't love or hate the guy as our GM but I do believe he is not the same GM that was struggling in 2017

I corrected my original post, was supposed to say not patience instead of patience...

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

He even had the balls to say he took the team from 3rd to last to the eastern conference finals - when that team was 90% built by Savard, Hainey, and Gauthier. I wonder if he's so delusional that he really believes that.

Wow you would have traded Pacioretty straight up for a Suzuki-level prospect, not addition?

I don't disagree that I would trade some older guys, but we need to wait for the opportune moment.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Wow you would have traded Pacioretty straight up for a Suzuki-level prospect, not addition?

I don't disagree that I would trade some older guys, but we need to wait for the opportune moment.

Yes, we can talk in 10 years about whether that makes sense. I also would have traded Weber or Petry straight up for the kid Ottawa got from Vegas for Stone or for Boqvist from Chicago.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Yes, we can talk in 10 years about whether that makes sense. I also would have traded Weber or Petry straight up for the kid Ottawa got from Vegas for Stone or for Boqvist from Chicago.

I was teasing since we got more for Patch haha

But yeah, I'm waiting for those deals to happen. I don't think we re-sign all those aging players or let them walk for nothing as the team goes nowhere.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
''He's in no hurry to return to overseas. However, he regularly communicates with Montreal and the NHL association. He's collecting all the information on the current situation. Tatar is 100% ready.''

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
With Freidman reporting the cap will stay flat for the next 2 seasons, I think (barring trades) it's going to come down to Tatar vs Armia. I think Danault, Gallagher and Petry all get signed unless something crazy happens. I've done too many cap friendly scenarios and losing Byron and likely Chiarot is a given. But you will still likely not have enough cap left for Tatar and Armia.

Again, barring a trade (perhaps for Josh Anderson...please), or Cole Caufield showing at the end of next season that he can immediately be a top 6 or even top 9 RW, we're pretty thin on RW. You probably see Drouin and Gallagher there. I know Tatar can play RW but I just see Armia as more important, relative to his cap hit. He's also something we don't have a ton of, being a big, physical winger with a great shot.

We'll see how it plays out but I wouldn't be surprised to see Tatar traded with 50% retention this offseason to a cap-strapped contender for a 1st +. I would then use that 1st + other assets to get a LD like Brodin or Dunn.

Kotkaniemi Suzuki

Jul 3, 2020
What do you get for a Tatar? you what you get with him. Drouin on the other hand....still has to show his worth.
Tatar should have been traded at the deadline for a big return because of that sweet contract, but Bergevin didn’t even try to shop him. Now his value will be lower because teams don’t get that extra cheap contract year. Should still fetch a great prospect at the least. Drouin better show something next season because if he doesn’t he won’t be worth anything.

Reactions: angusyoung

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad