Player Discussion Tomas Tatar (Part Two-na)

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Well its obvious Tatar is not a player who elevates his game in the playoffs.

Should he be extended or moved? I personally think he is not a guy you can build around
He isn't someone you build around, but getting a 60 point player that wants to play here isn't exactly common in Montreal. He isn't old and would help younger players produce more.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Well its obvious Tatar is not a player who elevates his game in the playoffs.

Should he be extended or moved? I personally think he is not a guy you can build around

Should be traded this offseason at this point...

With MB electing to use our cap flexibility on depth roles instead of addressing key need areas, we're not well positioned to be a contender, which would be the only reason to keep him past the deadline...

But since we're likely to be at least competing for a playoff spot, trading him in-season won't likely be feasible.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I dont think we will re-sign him with Caufield coming in next year (unless he's willing to take a discount), so there are 2 scenarios possible.
We keep him all season + playoffs, and he leaves as a ufa
or
We trade him at the tdl, and trade for another forward to replace him or have caufield (his season will prob be over before the start of the playoffs) take his spot

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Contract year babaaaaaaaaay. Show them up Tuna, so someone else can show you the money. Perfectly ok with watching him put in one more good year and letting him go in the offseason.... or at the TDL if we suck.

25 and 25 for him this year, strictly because we're only talking reg season play -- and a big contract year for a middle six sniper. Watch out if Julien plays him on a line that has one of Toffoli or Andy on it, it means Tuna is getting tons of room to shoot.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
How team friendly would his cap hit have to be if he wants to stick around?

Because I wonder what he's thinking right now.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
I'm open to keeping him at his current cap hit (5.3) for 4 years, but we will need a cheaper 4th line and more ELC contracts at forward.

Reactions: HankyZetts

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
How team friendly would his cap hit have to be if he wants to stick around?

Because I wonder what he's thinking right now.
toffoli money, but he's 2 years older ..i wouldn't go more than 3 years and 4 mill - but he'll get more and bergevin can deal him to a desperate team

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I like Tatar. We need playoff players. Like Domi I don’t think he’ll be around after this season.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-12-5_20-26-50.png

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Same contract he has right now minus the 500k salary retain.

I'd be willing to re-sign him at 5M for four years as this would also influence Danaut re-signing for the same amount (only 6 years).

Keeping a line of Tatar - Danault - Gallagher to get you into the playoffs (when considering the additions to the roster) will be as important as having playoff performers. IMO, Toffoli, Anderson and the progressing youngsters (Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and, even, playoff Drouin) can be the ones that help get you deep into the playoffs. Add on Caufield as a missing sniper and you could get a solidly balanced lineup that puts up more goals than in the past.

Drouin (20) - Suzuki (20) - Toffoli (25)
Tatar (25) - Danault (10) - Gallagher (30)
Caufield (25) (Kotkaniemi (15) - Anderson (25)
Lehkonen (10) - Poehling (10) - (Ylonen (10)

200 goals from our forward group and we,re talking conference finals at least.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
I'd be willing to re-sign him at 5M for four years as this would also influence Danaut re-signing for the same amount (only 6 years).

Keeping a line of Tatar - Danault - Gallagher to get you into the playoffs (when considering the additions to the roster) will be as important as having playoff performers. IMO, Toffoli, Anderson and the progressing youngsters (Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and, even, playoff Drouin) can be the ones that help get you deep into the playoffs. Add on Caufield as a missing sniper and you could get a solidly balanced lineup that puts up more goals than in the past.

Drouin (20) - Suzuki (20) - Toffoli (25)
Tatar (25) - Danault (10) - Gallagher (30)
Caufield (25) (Kotkaniemi (15) - Anderson (25)
Lehkonen (10) - Poehling (10) - (Ylonen (10)

200 goals from our forward group and we,re talking conference finals at least.
7 x 20 goal scorers lol

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I am okay with Tatar, don't really love him or dislike him for that matter. He has been an unexpected bonus tossed into the Pacioretty deal but he is not a guy that moves the needle that much. I can't see him being in the long term plans of any sane GM.(notice what I did there?)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I am okay with Tatar, don't really love him or dislike him for that matter. He has been an unexpected bonus tossed into the Pacioretty deal but he is not a guy that moves the needle that much. I can't see him being in the long term plans of any sane GM.(notice what I did there?)

I think he could be a good secondary piece over the next 4 years, at least. But will he accept secondary piece money? It is the covid era right now. So we'll have to wait and see.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I think he could be a good secondary piece over the next 4 years, at least. But will he accept secondary piece money? It is the covid era right now. So we'll have to wait and see.

We don't have the cap space to re-sign him, and we have Caufield who can replace him

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We don't have the cap space to re-sign him, and we have Caufield who can replace him

It depends on how much Tatar wants/can get on the market in the covid era, and who else we are willing to clear.

As I see it, we still have 1 more open top 9 spot to really solidify the top 9. Armia and Lehkonen can start on the 4th line, and come into the top 9 when there are injuries. Byron needs to go. That leaves one top 9 spot. Caufield can take it. But if we lose Tatar, I'd like to replace him in the top 9 with someone other than Armia, Lehkonen, or Byron. Perhaps Poehling will have blossomed by October 2021 and be ready. But I'd rather see if we can squeeze Tatar in.

Who would you rather keep if you could fit one 1 under the cap: Tatar (31 years old) for the next 4 years, Armia (28 years old) for the next 7 years, or Lehkonen (26 years old) for the next 8 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad