Injury Report: Tomas Plekanec

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
It's not tanking if you just plain out suck.

I think that's a point many people either can't see or just plain ignore. The Habs didn't "tank" last season, they were a very bad team. I don't see it being much different with their current roster.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Would definitely be put up or shut up time for Eller in terms of offence.

Would be important to know how many ribs are cracked/broken? Hopefully some info filters through.

meh. as it is now, 3rd line C or 2nd line C, he wouldnt play with much better wingers.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I think that's a point many people either can't see or just plain ignore. The Habs didn't "tank" last season, they were a very bad team. I don't see it being much different with their current roster.

The Habs were going to draft high up no matter what because they sucked, but the Cammalleri, Kostitsyn and Gill trades were effectively tanking - giving up on this season to stock up on future draft picks.

Except for extreme cases (IE; Lemieux), that's what tanking usually is - an already bad team ensuring they will stay bad by trading for the future.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The Habs were going to draft high up no matter what because they sucked, but the Cammalleri, Kostitsyn and Gill trades were effectively tanking - giving up on this season to stock up on future draft picks.

Except for extreme cases (IE; Lemieux), that's what tanking usually is - an already bad team ensuring they will stay bad by trading for the future.

I still don't call that tanking. It's asset mangement, you have UFA's that probably won't be back so you trade them for picks/prospects if ytou are out of contention. The Cammalleri trade was unrelated, he was moved because the relationship between him and the team was terrible and he was a distraction.

True tanking is on a whole different level(see Pittsburgh in 83-84 to get Lemieux).

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I still don't call that tanking. It's asset mangement, you have UFA's that probably won't be back so you trade them for picks/prospects if ytou are out of contention. The Cammalleri trade was unrelated, he was moved because the relationship between him and the team was terrible and he was a distraction.

True tanking is on a whole different level(see Pittsburgh in 83-84 to get Lemieux).

True, over the top tanking is rare though, usually teams accused of tanking are awful to begin with.

And the Cammalleri trade was caused by other reasons but that was the moment the team effectively lost any hope to compete, and the benefits of the trade - a pick, a prospect and additional cap space, were with the future in mind. Sure Bourque was a short term desperate attempt to increase "toughness" by making the average team size slightly bigger or whatever, but I never bought that he was the sole centrepiece of the trade as much as it was that nobody was eating Cammalleri's cap without the Habs taking something back.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
True, over the top tanking is rare though, usually teams accused of tanking are awful to begin with.

And the Cammalleri trade was caused by other reasons but that was the moment the team effectively lost any hope to compete, and the benefits of the trade - a pick, a prospect and additional cap space, were with the future in mind. Sure Bourque was a short term desperate attempt to increase "toughness" by making the average team size slightly bigger or whatever, but I never bought that he was the sole centrepiece of the trade as much as it was that nobody was eating Cammalleri's cap without the Habs taking something back.

Cammalleri wasn't scoring, Bourque was struggling in Calgary, often deals like that benefit both teams. Neither player really played to expectations on their new teams...Cammy scored a few goals late but Calgary was already out of it.

At the end of the day Bourque had better numbers in Calgary than Cammy in Montreal so I do that deal again any day of the week, we just need a coach to light a fire under him and linemates that can get him the puck.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Tomas Plekanec is our best forward, and has never missed more than 5 regular season NHL games in a single season. I hope he's not out for too long, and that he heals up quickly.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Tomas Plekanec is our best forward, and has never missed more than 5 regular season NHL games in a single season. I hope he's not out for too long, and that he heals up quickly.

He told some RDS chap he would be back next week. I hope he isn't taking that page off of Markov's book ;)

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Aubut forcing Bergeron to play Sergei Mylnikov was definitively tanking, too. People wanted to see the guy play because he was Russian, but he couldn't stop a bus.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Not a broken rib apparently.

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
Update on Plekanec's health: He did not break any ribs, but did have muscle pain in his rib cage, thus left last night's game early.

The pain is from playing his heart out game after game,year after year and not winning the SC or the WHC's.Heartache is a known injury to player's of his ilk.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Is that good or bad luck? Keeps Gally up with the big club and we draft high.

You want to burn one of Gally's pre UFA years this year? And expose him to injury to his knee at age 18, and when if with Pleky out we have no chance of making the PO? And we possibly draft higher if Gally does not play?

Good thinking.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
If everyone's wish comes true, 2C could play with Galchenyuk and Gionta. Huge difference if you ask me

bah, in a less than 50 games season I expect Gionta to get injured at the 15 games mark, and there's really no guarantee Gally makes the team, let alone play on the top two lines.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Cammalleri wasn't scoring, Bourque was struggling in Calgary, often deals like that benefit both teams. Neither player really played to expectations on their new teams...Cammy scored a few goals late but Calgary was already out of it.

At the end of the day Bourque had better numbers in Calgary than Cammy in Montreal so I do that deal again any day of the week, we just need a coach to light a fire under him and linemates that can get him the puck.

Cammy quite clearly played to expectations on Calgary.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
We dont have a very good team.
Tomas Plekanec is our best player.
We are a weaker team without him.
We have Scott Gomez.
Jones would look good on the back of a Habs jersey.
Mackinnon would too.:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad