Confirmed Signing with Link: Tom Wilson Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
The Oilers have nothing to do with this. The Oilers arent a good team. But it is interesting yo bring this up. I saw the similar excuses being made by Oiler fans when Lucic was signed and I was saying how bad of a contract is it was. So the similarities are funny to see. In addition, Tom Wilson hasnt done anything to anger me as an Oiler fan. Its just purely a horrible contract and this thread is the discussion on his contract

There are no meaningful similarities. Lucic was signed for his 30s. Wilson's contract runs out when he's 30 (probably then the Oilers/Canucks sign him for the stuff he did in his 20s like they did with Lucic/Eriksson). Lucic was signed to play next to McDavid and be that physical monster who gets other teams to cough up pucks for him and protects him while keeping up with him. It turns out he can't skate anymore and be on your top line without it being a tire fire. Meanwhile Wilson is a huge, huge part of our top line and does exactly that for Kuznetsov and Ovechkin, in addition to improving his skating every year to the point where he's one of the better skating heavy hitters in the league. If Maroon was 24 and was still breaking out and was a more effective hitter he'd be a better comparable.

Lucic's contract is crap. Wilson's next contract will most likely be crap (possibly even worse). Wilson's level of play this year (especially in the playoffs) justifies this contract and he's more likely to still improve than start slowing down.

Reactions: Voight

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
If cap space was an issue for us this contract would be an issue . GMBM has the core locked up the next 2 years with some space to spend at the deadline.
This deal won't hurt for 2 years and it's not like it's hard to dump bad contracts. We have another expansion draft coming up and Wilson could very will be picked by Seattle.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
He should be fired in a year if these type of moves continue. But I will also easily take the 5 year bet. GMs after cup wins get crazy stupid and this is where the downfall of teams comes from.

Perhaps you should and read a little bit about Ted Leonsis, and how he handles his General Managers.

See McPhee, George
See Grunfeld, Ernie

And neither of those donkeys actually won anything of substance. At ALL

fashi13

Feb 13, 2008
Middle 6er at over 5 for a long time is not a good deal regardless of what the caps did this season
Agreed, and I'm a Caps fan. Teams all have good and bad contracts, lucky for us our #1 center is signed for 7.8 per year, to balance out this whacky contract.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I would say the balance contract is Orlov

If Kempny keeps being Hjarmalsson lite for us that's even better value potentially.

Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Eller, Orlov, Kempny, Holtby all signed through their prime for substantially less than their market value, even Ovechkin is a little underpaid now.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Perhaps you should and read a little bit about Ted Leonsis, and how he handles his General Managers.

See McPhee, George
See Grunfeld, Ernie

And neither of those donkeys actually won anything of substance. At ALL

Obviously not well if hes allowing them to hand out stupid ass contracts like this lol

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
There are no meaningful similarities. Lucic was signed for his 30s. Wilson's contract runs out when he's 30 (probably then the Oilers/Canucks sign him for the stuff he did in his 20s like they did with Lucic/Eriksson). Lucic was signed to play next to McDavid and be that physical monster who gets other teams to cough up pucks for him and protects him while keeping up with him. It turns out he can't skate anymore and be on your top line without it being a tire fire. Meanwhile Wilson is a huge, huge part of our top line and does exactly that for Kuznetsov and Ovechkin, in addition to improving his skating every year to the point where he's one of the better skating heavy hitters in the league. If Maroon was 24 and was still breaking out and was a more effective hitter he'd be a better comparable.

Lucic's contract is crap. Wilson's next contract will most likely be crap (possibly even worse). Wilson's level of play this year (especially in the playoffs) justifies this contract and he's more likely to still improve than start slowing down.

Massive cope. But only time will tell I guess. I mean it took Oiler fans 2 years to realize what I was trying to tell them back in 2015, so it looks like itll take Caps fans that long too. Just how LA kings fans loved the Brown deal, Hawks fans loved the Bickell deal and Leafs fans loved the Clarkson deal, itll be a tough lesson for Caps fans

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Caps fans should enjoy the cup win and the summer with it, because its the only time a teams fans have the ultimate trump card in excusing away horrible decisions. But those trump card will disappear just as fast you got it and youll be left with the bad deals long after

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
In every fantasy draft in NHL 19, this guy's gonna go undrafted. You'll be able to add him to your 4th line for a cool 1 year/$1.75M and have to figure out if you wanna use him, Dustin Brown, Shaw or Clutterbuck.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Caps fans should enjoy the cup win and the summer with it, because its the only time a teams fans have the ultimate trump card in excusing away horrible decisions. But those trump card will disappear just as fast you got it and youll be left with the bad deals long after

Yea...ok. What about this is a horrible decision? I've watched almost every nhl game the guy has played. I don't see horrible.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yea...ok. What about this is a horrible decision? I've watched almost every nhl game the guy has played. I don't see horrible.

This guy could collect a hockey puck for every point hes scored in his NHL career and not even fill up a shoebox

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Massive cope. But only time will tell I guess. I mean it took Oiler fans 2 years to realize what I was trying to tell them back in 2015, so it looks like itll take Caps fans that long too. Just how LA kings fans loved the Brown deal, Hawks fans loved the Bickell deal and Leafs fans loved the Clarkson deal, itll be a tough lesson for Caps fans

Yes, by all means keep comparing more deals for 30 year old power forwards on the decline to a 24 year old one on the rise, it just makes you look stupid.

We'll try our best to cope with having won a cup and having one of the most cost effective rosters in the league while you can cope with 20+ million of actual garbage you have saddled on top of McDavid and Drasaitl.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
In every fantasy draft in NHL 19, this guy's gonna go undrafted. You'll be able to add him to your 4th line for a cool 1 year/$1.75M and have to figure out if you wanna use him, Dustin Brown, Shaw or Clutterbuck.

Yeah nothing to gauge player value like EA's NHL franchise, I remember the good old days of trading Gomez for Datsyuk

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

Bad deals like a C who just put up the most playoff points since Malkin signed through his prime for under 8 million? Or our top pairing offensive D signed through his prime for less than Wilson? Or our Vezina/Conn Smythe level goalie signed for 6 million? Our selke caliber 2C who has been PPG over a 13 year career for less than 7 million? Our 3C who just put up 18 points in 24 playoff games while doing heavy lifting defensively and playing all situations signed through his prime at 3.5 million?

If only we had contracts like Lucic, Russel, Sekera and Strome

I'd take our roster salary structuring over that of just about any team except the Penguins who benefit from Crosby's AAV discounted pre 8 year max CBA retirement contract setting a major ceiling all around.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I've never seen such a big deal made over such a minor overpayment.

Wilson is a defensively responsible 35 point player who does all his damage at even strength, kills penalties, brings a huge physical presence and gets no powerplay time.

The player he is today is easily worth 3.5-4M. That makes him like 1-1.5M overpaid, hardly something to throw a fit over.

Give him a little bit of second unit PP time or if he improves even slightly and suddenly his contract is fair value.

Reactions: third man in

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Bad deals like a C who just put up the most playoff points since Malkin signed through his prime for under 8 million? Or our top pairing offensive D signed through his prime for less than Wilson? Or our Vezina/Conn Smythe level goalie signed for 6 million? Our selke caliber 2C who has been PPG over a 13 year career for less than 7 million? Our 3C who just put up 18 points in 24 playoff games while doing heavy lifting defensively and playing all situations signed through his prime at 3.5 million?

If only we had contracts like Lucic, Russel, Sekera and Strome

I'd take our roster salary structuring over that of just about any team except the Penguins who benefit from Crosby's AAV discounted pre 8 year max CBA retirement contract setting a major ceiling all around.

I actually think the Caps have so great deals and I really like the team. I have been a big defender/supporter of them on HF over the years, and Im also one of the biggest critics of the Oilers contracts so dont try and make this some team vs team thing. You just look desperate. This is an isolated contract being discussed and a really bad one to boot.

Reactions: Voight

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Well, I can tell we’re all going for unnecessary hyperboles here.

eh not really. 104 pucks could fit in a bigger shoebox. You change it up to him just collecting the puck for every goal hes scored and you can easily do it, considering he has 35 career goals

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
eh not really. 104 pucks could fit in a bigger shoebox. You change it up to him just collecting the puck for every goal hes scored and you can easily do it, considering he has 35 career goals
Are we talking like huge boots? Maybe. But a shoe box is pushing it.

or pucks are just a bit smaller than you think.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Its not the best contract but its what happens when you have a good playoff run & are seen as a core member. Asa Blackhawks fan I had to deal with the idiocy of giving Bickell $4 million/year after we won in 2013 and this contracts far better.

I think he can be a 45-55 point guy while keeping up his physical game. He improved a lot this year & could be in for a late prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad