Confirmed Signing with Link: Tom Wilson Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
There are other players who are responsible on both sides of the puck, get no powerplay time, are good on the PK, and put up similar offensive numbers to him. I would also not make the argument that " he can put up points"
As I previously mentioned, literally nobody had ever been able to keep up on the opposite wing from Ovechkin. Wilson can. And I would say, 15 points in the playoffs, and 35 points in the regular season while not playing fully on the top line and getting no PP time is considered putting up points. You’re entitled to your own opinion. But Wilson plays a role on this caps team that the capitals have spent years looking for. They didn’t want to lose him and they showed that.

Reactions: BinCookin

BeaverTail

Oct 9, 2014
As I previously mentioned, literally nobody had ever been able to keep up on the opposite wing from Ovechkin. Wilson can. And I would say, 15 points in the playoffs, and 35 points in the regular season while not playing fully on the top line and getting no PP time is considered putting up points. You’re entitled to your own opinion. But Wilson plays a role on this caps team that the capitals have spent years looking for. They didn’t want to lose him and they showed that.
Hyman put up more points in the regular season and is on half the cap hit. I wouldn't say Wilson is anything special on Ovechkin's line. You put anybody there and they will put up 40 points no problem.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Hyman put up more points in the regular season and is on half the cap hit. I wouldn't say Wilson is anything special on Ovechkin's line. You put anybody there and they will put up 40 points no problem.
Hyman also signed his contract after having a 28 point season— while playing 98% of that season with Matthews.
Wilson put up 35 points playing 80% of the season with Ovi, while also playing a physical role that Hyman does not.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I'm interested do you have a link or source saying they wanted longer term?

Also I don't really see progression, I see one year where he put up 35 points which could easily be an outlier. Usually when I think of progression it is a gradual improvement over a few years. This is his last 4 years:

82 games, 10 points
67 games, 17 points
82 games, 23 points
82 games, 19 points

His point per game values actually got lower and lower for three years before the last. I don't see that as progression. I see this last year as benefiting from playing on the top line.

both of these posts are talking about points.
points points points.

the points will improve, as they have this season getting better minutes, but its his overall impact which is what his contract is based on.

would i take him over just about any 50 point player in the league for OUR team, with OUR players and OUR situation? Yes. Absolutely.

David Perron is a 60 point player - Who would you rather for a playoff run?
What players did the Caps play against in the playoffs that were better than Wilson was for us? Couple of pens maybe?

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
This is a player who has never taken a game off. Ever. He hits, fights, agitates, blocks shots and just about anything else he's asked to do. He would probably put on a pink tutu and twirl all over the ice if he thought that would help his team win a game. That's what they're paying him for! He's also become a fan favorite in DC and improves every year sooooo...

And what's with all the faux concern for the Capitals anyways? :rolleyes:

BeaverTail

Oct 9, 2014
points points points.

the points will improve, as they have this season getting better minutes, but its his overall impact which is what his contract is based on.

would i take him over just about any 50 point player in the league for OUR team, with OUR players and OUR situation? Yes. Absolutely.

What players did the Caps play against in the playoffs that were better than Wilson was for us? Couple of pens maybe?
Why will the points improve? He didn't have any progression in points until playing last season with Ovechkin/Kuznetsov/Backstrom. Anybody on Washington would put up at least .5 points/game with them and he couldn't even do that.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
points points points.

David Perron without a doubt.

Reactions: JackFr

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Why will the points improve? He didn't have any progression in points until playing last season with Ovechkin/Kuznetsov/Backstrom. Anybody on Washington would put up at least .5 points/game with them and he couldn't even do that.
Your go-to comparison of Hyman, who is two years older than Wilson, played 98% of the 2016-2017 season with Matthews and put up 28 points. The following season he improved and put up more points! Why is that not possible for Wilson to do?
Also Jay Beagle used to get put on Ovi's line a lot for some reason, and I can tell you he was not at .5 points a game.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia

because they did improve? 35 even strength points is not solid? as we have seen posted a number of times, his evp/60 is high. even straight points is good and a huge improvement on his career given he was almost exclusively a 4th liner.

so what we know is:
1) he has gone from a 4th liner to a 1st liner in a year and had a big increase in points
2) he has become a top PKer for the cup champs
3) he is seen as a major part of the team of the cup champs. when he was suspended, a number of players commented during interview that they were playing for Tommy.
4) he will likely see some 2nd PP unit time given his contract which should hopefully see him get a few more points.

is 40 even strength points on the cards? a solid chance. is 5-8 pp points on the cards? possibly.
Perhaps he breaks out like a true late developing power forward? Who knows?

David Perron without a doubt.

You would rather a guy that got benched during the cup finals than a guy that was one of the best players in the playoffs?
wowzers!

Reactions: third man in

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I love how people use him playing on the first line and putting up less than 0.5 points/game as a positive thing. When Connor Sheary was on the first line in Pittsburgh he put up 53 points in 61 games which was top 30 in the league in points per game. That doesn't mean he is a top 30 forward in the league it just means that he was benefiting from playing on the first line. Anybody on Washington's starting roster would probably put up .5 point/game on the top line.
15 points in 21 playoff games. Most 1st line players are in the power play. Wilson is not. Most 1st line players that can't produce are removed from the first line.

You are saying that Kuhnakl would be a 50 or player skating a half season with Crosby?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
This deal reminds me exactly of what the red wings did with Abdelkader.. Abdelkader next to Datsyuk pumped his numbers and looked like a light weight power forward.

He is overpaid... and has a 7 year contract... We will never move it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
15 points in 21 playoff games. Most 1st line players are in the power play. Wilson is not. Most 1st line players that can't produce are removed from the first line.

You are saying that Kuhnakl would be a 50 or player skating a half season with Crosby?
Bryan Bickell had 17 points in 23 games in a playoff run for Chicago.

Then had 15 points in 59 games the following season.

Time will tell on Wilson...

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
In your eagerness to defend and praise all things "home team" you are missing the point.

Chiarelli actually BUILT a Stanley Cup winning team that also went to another final. He took over a bad team and added all but 1 of the main pieces himself. He didn't inherit a Vezina caliber goalie. He didn't inherit a generational HOF winger, a #1, a 1b C, a #1 D, and a bunch of other pieces that he just had to add a couple little role players to. He BUILT it.

And yet, he still made mistakes.

So if a guy who does that can make a mistake, then why in the world would you ever think that your GM is going to go through his career without a bad decision?

And if it's possible he can make a bad signing, then it's possible signing Wilson to a large $ deal despite not putting up traditional numbers may be a mistake.

You can say you like the deal and still admit that there is some real risk here and it could be a mistake. Nobody will make you turn in your Caps pillowcase and footie pjs.

Holtby was on his way to be a journeyman until MacLellan brought Trotz and Korn in. The Caps missed the playoffs and had a very uneven lineup before he took over.

His bad deals were trading for Glencross, trading for Shattenkirk and the Orpik deal, though Orpik still ended up being very important as far as getting the rest of the team in order, as well as some questionable draft moves. Pretty much everything else worked out and some worked out extremely well.

The Wilson deal is solid. There's risk involved just like there's a risk in Pastrnak getting his wrists destroyed and going the way of Alex Semin.

I'm pretty sure the Bruins didn't sign Lucic to very rich contracts at the time because they were mistaking him for a 70 point player. Wilson brings much more than outside fans care to admit and then they get all pissy because they refuse to understand it. In a way he's doing his job even now lol

Reactions: txpd

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
There are other players who are responsible on both sides of the puck, get no powerplay time, are good on the PK, and put up similar offensive numbers to him. I would also not make the argument that " he can put up points"

There's also one other thing he does quite well

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
This deal reminds me exactly of what the red wings did with Abdelkader.. Abdelkader next to Datsyuk pumped his numbers and looked like a light weight power forward.

He is overpaid... and has a 7 year contract... We will never move it.
Funny first thing I thought of was Martin lapoint. The wings were smart enough to walk away from mid level players that got inflated offers back in the day.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
In a way he's doing his job even now lol

Ah yes I recognize this argument. I've seen it used for Rinaldo and Cooke and Marchand. The last refuge for those who have no real facts or logic: If you criticize cheap dirty player then it means he's doing his job!!!!!!!!

No, it means he's a cheap dirty player. And in this case and overpaid one.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I actually think the Caps have so great deals and I really like the team. I have been a big defender/supporter of them on HF over the years, and Im also one of the biggest critics of the Oilers contracts so dont try and make this some team vs team thing. You just look desperate. This is an isolated contract being discussed and a really bad one to boot.

Lol no it's not. If we didn't sign Wilson we'd need to pay a lot more to get a Wilson ish player somewhere else, then have to deal with the headache of fitting him in the lineup. He's exactly what we need in a top line RW and complimentary player bottled up in one package. If we signed him to 1 year he'd negotiate PP time, put up 50ish points while being a human zamboni, probably have another similar playoff run given his year to year progression so far and be good as gone next year.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Get suspended?

Yeah clearly that's what 3 games after over a thousand heavy ass hits means. You're supposed to be the logical fan? Lmao, just another hater. Don't blame you, I don't remember the last time the Broons beat the Caps either.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
It’s literally a hysterical joke that you all continue to call a guy who scored 35 points a 1st line winger because he’s good on the PK and had a good playoff. I mean holy Christ, how overrated can you get.

No its because he's been cemented as the 1RW of a very effective line and will remain there for the foreseeable future. It's not rocket science Lmao.

Though having ES numbers comparable to some of the most beloved players on HF doesn't hurt

Reactions: GoCaps2004
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad