Confirmed Signing with Link: Tom Wilson Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
This is a bad contract, unless Tom Wilson improves drastically. Then it would be an average contract.

Hey, I get it, if the Jets won the SC, I'd want every single player locked up until the end of time. What baffles me is that they didn't extend Trotz.

he's still young enough he could, but man this looks bad.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
The same thing the Islanders did by signing Cizikas for 5 years and Clutterbuck for 5 years. Well , the same except for the Cup win and one good playoff run .

LGI
Do we have to wait for one season without Tavares to play out to add Josh Bailey to this list?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It makes Tom Wilson the 125th ranked ES scoring forward last season. 140th overall.

Not exactly a showing I'd consider worth $5M, but as I've said earlier, there's a lot of overpaid guys in the league. TB has one of the worse contracts in the league period, so it's not like we're strangers to it or anything.

Caps fans have always had this kind of weird inferiority complex, and the responses from some of them in this thread are no different. You guys are like ultra rabidly trying to defend the contract when it doesn't even matter.

This is a hockey message board where fans of all teams come to discuss hockey. The overwhelming majority of people participating in this discussion feel that this is an overpay for Wilson. It doesn't mean Caps fans don't like Wilson, or shouldn't like him, or be unhappy with the contract, or whatever. It just means that most people think he's overpaid. Some people (lots of them Caps fans, oddly enough) don't think he's overpaid and that's excellent. Enjoy your player. It's a gamble contract for the Caps. If he builds on it, it looks fine. If he doesn't, it continues to look awful.

no different than the guys that try to ultra-rabidly criticize the contract....and there is a lot of that going on too, wouldnt you say?

125th in forward for ES pts. So....squarely in the middle of 2nd line forward pay (for arguments sakes. 94-186 in forward scoring....to keep it simple.). 5m for that, on a brand new signed contract (6.5% of the current sal cap) seems.....ok? Not a bargain obviously, but not horribad either. Just based on merit.

I think Terrible Tom was also top 10 (ish) for ES pts/60. Ahead of a LOT of guys. Again, that fits.

Shrug.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Seems high-ish, but only until you remember that it covers 3UFA years. Anyone who saw him last year knows he looked the part as top 6. And his numbers (for some reason knocked here) come out somewhere around an average top4 forward in the league (#120 ES scoring, is it?). Who signs top 6 guys for less than $4M these days? I guess if you just look up "career scoring" it may seem outrageous, so for some folks it will just take a few years to accept Wilson as a top 6 guy. Gotta have a few strong lines in that "career scoring" table to make it obvious for those who do not watch the Caps.

Wish the Wings had somebody like Wilson. Somebody who can play big minutes and keep the opposition D soft and jittery.

Anyhow, I think it was either $4M x 3 or $5M x 6, Caps chose the latter and we'll see if it was the right call in due time.

I am also wondering if this will give him "star" status in DPS eyes.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
The Oilers have nothing to do with this. The Oilers arent a good team. But it is interesting yo bring this up. I saw the similar excuses being made by Oiler fans when Lucic was signed and I was saying how bad of a contract is it was. So the similarities are funny to see. In addition, Tom Wilson hasnt done anything to anger me as an Oiler fan. Its just purely a horrible contract and this thread is the discussion on his contract

3 things.

I bolded your comment about the Caps never sniffing a Stanley Cup again. Not sure what THAT had to do with Tom Wilson's contract (Certainly dont tell me it's inhibited this coming years squad, which now has 23 players under contract with 1.1m in cap room left). SO>>> you decided to take a jab at the team. Which again has nothing to so with the discussion on the Wilson contract.....so the Oilers coming up seemed appropriate.

Lucic was 29. Wilson is 24. Is that the same, to you?

Re: Wilson-- let's hear how his being 125th in ES scoring for all skaters (squarely 2nd line production) and his being top 10 in ES pts/game...dont count. Lets just focus on the negatives?

Reactions: third man in

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Wanna see something even more devasting:

View attachment 132583

:facepalm: You dont get it.

When a guy is 24....you are paying for what you think he will become. Not what he's done.

Caps GM seems to get that, for the most part. The Kuznetsov and Orlov contracts come to mind, as ones that were also derided by this board. Now they already look like bargains. This one is certainly more aggressive, but the Caps GM has been killing it for 4 years.

He's earned the cred to call his shots in the manner he sees fit (altho maybe HF poster Aceboogie is similarly accomplished at.....something).

Reactions: third man in

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Holy what a bad deal. This will become one of the worst contracts in the league very soon

The downfall of every cup winner is the signing of depth players to massive contracts after one good playoff run. This contract will make Villie Leinos deal seem reasonable

Yeah it's pretty bad but one of the worst? I think that's a bit of an overstatement.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Im not going to bother learning to spell the name of some GM whos going to be fired in a year anyway. Ill learn the correct spelling off the next Capitals GM

Now you are just being purposely obtuse. I will wager you anything you want, the GMBM certanly wont be fired in a year. he wont be fired in 2 years.....he wont be fired in 5 years. Good Lord

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
be careful what you wish for. Might not be MacLellan that should get obliterated.

I actually dont even need to build a time machine. I can just go back to the Bickell threads and substitute Bickell with Wilson and 4 mil with 5 mil, and its done

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Now you are just being purposely obtuse. I will wager you anything you want, the GMBM certanly wont be fired in a year. he wont be fired in 2 years.....he wont be fired in 5 years. Good Lord

He should be fired in a year if these type of moves continue. But I will also easily take the 5 year bet. GMs after cup wins get crazy stupid and this is where the downfall of teams comes from.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Tell me more, this is fascinating.

As opposed to the Oilers, correct?

One of the things that Tom Wilson consistently does well....is anger every opposing fan base going. Doesnt even need to be one that watches him play their favourite team.

Where do you get this from? Ain't nobody mad, just delusional. But whafever makes you feel better.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Seems high-ish, but only until you remember that it covers 3UFA years. Anyone who saw him last year knows he looked the part as top 6. And his numbers (for some reason knocked here) come out somewhere around an average top4 forward in the league (#120 ES scoring, is it?). Who signs top 6 guys for less than $4M these days? I guess if you just look up "career scoring" it may seem outrageous, so for some folks it will just take a few years to accept Wilson as a top 6 guy. Gotta have a few strong lines in that "career scoring" table to make it obvious for those who do not watch the Caps.

Wish the Wings had somebody like Wilson. Somebody who can play big minutes and keep the opposition D soft and jittery.

Anyhow, I think it was either $4M x 3 or $5M x 6, Caps chose the latter and we'll see if it was the right call in due time.

I am also wondering if this will give him "star" status in DPS eyes.
Good post, except for it's 4 years of UFA years.

Wilson is a very unique case. Not only is he a unique player with I would say zero comparables right now, but he doesn't have the career numbers to back this deal up (from the outside looking in anyways).

Fans that have followed his career closely know what he's about and are expecting continued growth.

Reactions: HandsomeTom43

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The guy who had MS? That's your comparable? You need a brain transplant not a time machine lol

Lmao, Bryan Bickell was diagnosed with MS in 2016. This was after 4 poor seasons with the Hawks and being traded as a cap dump to the Canes. Bickell himself said he only noticed the effects in the 2015 playoffs

Reactions: LordNeverLose

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Lmao, Bryan Bickell was diagnosed with MS in 2016. This was after 4 poor seasons with the Hawks and being traded as a cap dump to the Canes. Bickell himself said he only noticed the effects in the 2015 playoffs

You realize he had it before then right? It takes a while even for normal people to notice effects let alone hockey players who constantly get banged up and concussed. And he got his contract following a monster 2013 cup run, which would could put him having it as soon as his first or 2nd post cup season. Not to mention him and Wilson are very different players.

Either way, we'll enjoy our cup winning top line RW fixture for the next 6 years, you enjoy throwing garbage next to McDavid and flaming out over and over.

Reactions: HandsomeTom43

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
It's not my money, good for Tom. We got our cup this year.

I think objectively Caps fans wanted Tom to come in around 4mil, but we knew that wasn't going to happen, it just wasn't. He is overpaid by 1-0.5 mil depending on who you ask. If Tom is 20/20 guy for the remainder of the contract and brings his physicality then he is easily overplaying his contract. His sandpaper is unique to the Caps, not to mention there's not another player in the league who everyone fears, you all can deny that all you want, but it was clear in the playoffs. He made shit happen and he scares other players, he causes a lot of plays to go the other way for good scoring chances, and his puck skills are still coming along.

Someone else said the Caps don't win without Tom Wilson, I think I agree with that. This year was a full team effort, every man needed. If you all want to shit on this contract, I won't really blame you--it's not good, but I feel like most of it though is just trying to make you all feel better about your own team's struggles. Please, continue to tear down the CHAMPS!

Reactions: romao

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I don't know why my fellow caps fans are even wasting their time trying to convince the haters, let them remain just that. The crying about Wilson will continue as long as he's on the ice not playing for their team.

Pretty much, he could win another cup scoring at a 60 point pace in the playoffs while knocking entire teams off the ice (not even that much of a stretch considering he just did it lol) and people would still think he's overpaid and McLellan is a horrible GM.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Ouch.
Who would you want for the next 30 million dollars Bailey or Wilson ?

Wilson, we have like 4 Josh Baileys already and were full of Josh Baileys every year we were eliminated. He also fell off the face of the earth towards the real season while Wilson only got better and better

Last edited:

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
The dude is a beast, the reactions you see from people are exactly what Tom wants. He's a professional troll who is pretty damn good at hockey too. His job is to get under skin and stay there, hit people, occasionally score. I understand why people think the contract sucks, it's a little high on AAV and it's a pretty long deal at 6 years. If Wilson's scoring continues to improve I think it will be worth it, but it's definitely a gamble from the Capitals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad