Confirmed Signing with Link: Tom Wilson Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Jim Benning would've given him 8m per season so in comparison this is a steal. In all seriousness though I don't mind this deal to much, it has a huge chance to backfire but could be worth every penny. Its a wait and see deal with risk.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Wilson's career PPG before last season: 0.22 ppg
Wilson's PPG last season: 0.45 ppg

Wilson's career playoff PPG before last season: 0.12 ppg
Wilson's playoff PPG last season: 0.71 ppg

His advanced stats were also a lot better this season than three out of the four previous seasons.

The Caps are betting that he stay in that top line role over the bulk of this contract and be like Brandon Saad. I don't know if that is a bet I would make.

But, I get why they signed him to a long term deal and I get why he got paid after an improved year and a really good playoffs in a contract year.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Bro. Do you even know who you're talking about? You're talking about Tom Wilson. The guy that HITS! He also scored 35 points while riding shotgun with Backstrom, Kuznetsov and Ovechkin! He hits other teams players too. He also was like the 6th or 7th most important guy on his team in the playoffs!

Did I mention that he hits?

You sure come across as angry. Yikes.

Anyway.....who pray tell should sit on the PP, in lieu of Wilson? 33 ES points is pretty good, isnt it? I dont get why fans get SO upset about a contract by another teams player?

Oh wait, yes I do. TOM WILSON

Reactions: philip

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
This is the trap every cup winning team falls into after they win a cup, they think every bad decision they made was actually good and excuse every every dumb thing they did (The Erat trae was actually good since we won the cup! Every bad move was actually good). Enjoy the cup, make some good memories, but the Capitals will never sniff another cup again, and it will be due to making horrible moves like this

Tell me more, this is fascinating.

As opposed to the Oilers, correct?

One of the things that Tom Wilson consistently does well....is anger every opposing fan base going. Doesnt even need to be one that watches him play their favourite team.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

One of the things that Tom Wilson consistently does well....is anger every opposing fan base going. Doesnt even need to be one that watches him play their favourite team.

I remember when Ov was the most hated player in the league. Now it's Tom Wilson. Assuming the Caps get the typical amount of cup winner national telecasts, the Caps should be the most hated team in the league soon. Csnt wait

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Understatement of the year. The dude is a smoke show.

tenor.gif

I'm just here to help out. :D

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
You sure come across as angry. Yikes.

Anyway.....who pray tell should sit on the PP, in lieu of Wilson? 33 ES points is pretty good, isnt it? I dont get why fans get SO upset about a contract by another teams player?

Oh wait, yes I do. TOM WILSON

It makes Tom Wilson the 125th ranked ES scoring forward last season. 140th overall.

Not exactly a showing I'd consider worth $5M, but as I've said earlier, there's a lot of overpaid guys in the league. TB has one of the worse contracts in the league period, so it's not like we're strangers to it or anything.

Caps fans have always had this kind of weird inferiority complex, and the responses from some of them in this thread are no different. You guys are like ultra rabidly trying to defend the contract when it doesn't even matter.

This is a hockey message board where fans of all teams come to discuss hockey. The overwhelming majority of people participating in this discussion feel that this is an overpay for Wilson. It doesn't mean Caps fans don't like Wilson, or shouldn't like him, or be unhappy with the contract, or whatever. It just means that most people think he's overpaid. Some people (lots of them Caps fans, oddly enough) don't think he's overpaid and that's excellent. Enjoy your player. It's a gamble contract for the Caps. If he builds on it, it looks fine. If he doesn't, it continues to look awful.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

The Oilers have nothing to do with this. The Oilers arent a good team. But it is interesting yo bring this up. I saw the similar excuses being made by Oiler fans when Lucic was signed and I was saying how bad of a contract is it was. So the similarities are funny to see. In addition, Tom Wilson hasnt done anything to anger me as an Oiler fan. Its just purely a horrible contract and this thread is the discussion on his contract

Reactions: StephenPeat

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You may need to head outside and chill out lmao.

Johnson has been underwhelming since signing his deal. He'd be one I'd consider overpaid.

Tom Wilson is still overpaid. None of your little quips about the TB defense or who else might be overpaid changes that.

Sorry.

Let’s just say Tom Wilson is slightly overpaid for WINNING THE CUP. What are the Lightning players overpaid for?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This thread is going to be absolutely golden to look back on in 2 years. I want to invent a time machine solely so I can go 2 years in the future to witness Caps fans obliterating MacLllan for this contract

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
reminds me of when Engelland signed in Calgary. At the time people thought the $3M was for the 3 years and was a responsible deal. Turns out it was $3M a year.
So what you’re saying is that the difference between role players being worth 3 and 5.17 is WINNING THE CUP instead of LOSING IN THE FINALS. Got it. Hey Engelland made it farther than the Pens this year, good on him. That’ll show em.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
This thread is going to be absolutely golden to look back on in 2 years. I want to invent a time machine solely so I can go 2 years in the future to witness Caps fans obliterating MacLllan for this contract
Can’t possibly be as bad as the obliterating something has done to your ability to spell. It’s 2018, get a spell check or just take a second to use any of the numerous apps on some mobile device you likely own to use the internet to fill in the holes in your head.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Can’t possibly be as bad as the obliterating something has done to your ability to spell. It’s 2018, get a spell check or just take a second to use any of the numerous apps on some mobile device you likely own to use the internet to fill in the holes in your head.

Im not going to bother learning to spell the name of some GM whos going to be fired in a year anyway. Ill learn the correct spelling off the next Capitals GM

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
This is a bad contract, unless Tom Wilson improves drastically. Then it would be an average contract.

Hey, I get it, if the Jets won the SC, I'd want every single player locked up until the end of time. What baffles me is that they didn't extend Trotz.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
The downfall of every cup winner is the signing of depth players to massive contracts after one good playoff run.

The same thing the Islanders did by signing Cizikas for 5 years and Clutterbuck for 5 years. Well , the same except for the Cup win and one good playoff run .

LGI

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
So what you’re saying is that the difference between role players being worth 3 and 5.17 is WINNING THE CUP instead of LOSING IN THE FINALS. Got it. Hey Engelland made it farther than the Pens this year, good on him. That’ll show em.
Engelland made himself actually worth close to $3M a year by the last year of his deal in Calgary. Partly because the cap went up but when the deal was signed the radio guys thought it was $3M over the 3 years. At the time he was seen as strictly an enforcer and it was yet to be seen if he was going to be a F or D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad