Confirmed Signing with Link: Tom Wilson Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
at least he's only 24 so the deal ends when he's 30. This deal at least covers only prime years.

He also had a very strong playoffs, and that has always been the problem with the Capitals, so maybe they cling to him a bit too much.

Ultimately what matters is their cap. They have to re-sign Holtby in 2 years, as well as Backstrom, and that should be a sizable raise. Ovechkin has to be re-signed in 3 years, and that will net them a bunch of cap space since he'll be around 35 years old.

So that's a tricky thing for them. If Ovechkin had 2 years left instead of 3 it would make everything easier and would forgive a few overpays. That offseason in a couple years might be tough.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Holy what a bad deal. This will become one of the worst contracts in the league very soon

The downfall of every cup winner is the signing of depth players to massive contracts after one good playoff run. This contract will make Villie Leinos deal seem reasonable

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He definitely had a big impact on the playoff games. He's such a unique player these days I don't necessarily think the overall term and AAV are terribly bad. Teams would go hard after his traits if he had been UFA. But I'm a little surprised that he got the additional sweet bonus structure on top of it all.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He definitely had a big impact on the playoff games. He's such a unique player these days I don't necessarily think the overall term and AAV are terribly bad. Teams would go hard after his traits if he had been UFA. But I'm a little surprised that he got the additional sweet bonus structure on top of it all.

Ofcourse they would, GMs are dumb AF. That is why the likes of Lucic, Backes, Ladd etc all got big deals in 2015. But just because GMs make dumb, dumb moves doesn't justify the contract

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Would you rather carry Lucic's contract or Wilson's (if you HAD to)?

Im probably the biggest Lucic hater on HF and I would still take Lucics contract with ease. Lucic averages more goals per year than Wilson averages total points.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I don't see how this is as bad as everyone's making it out to be?
Overpaid a bit, sure, but Wilson is a pretty solid player.

I don't think he's got much PP time ever, maybe he'll get some time in front of the net & tuck a few

Reactions: third man in

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I don't see how this is as bad as everyone's making it out to be?
Overpaid a bit, sure, but Wilson is a pretty solid player.

I don't think he's got much PP time ever, maybe he'll get some time in front of the net & tuck a few

Probably because he's scored a grand total of 35 goals in 5 seasons in the league? I'm no coach, but I would probably put guys who can score on the PP.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Why would a career sub 30 point player get PP time
Bro. Do you even know who you're talking about? You're talking about Tom Wilson. The guy that HITS! He also scored 35 points while riding shotgun with Backstrom, Kuznetsov and Ovechkin! He hits other teams players too. He also was like the 6th or 7th most important guy on his team in the playoffs!

Did I mention that he hits?

Terll

Nov 22, 2014
Wow Trotz must be a giant idiot then for putting him on the first line after only scoring a grand total of 35 goals in 5 seasons.

Did he put him on 1st line because Wilson is a goal scorer? No? Ok

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Middle 6er at over 5 for a long time is not a good deal regardless of what the caps did this season

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
But didn't play him on the PP, which is what we were discussing. Thanks for chiming in, though.

Yeah clearly he's good enough for the top line but not good enough to PP, can't be that he's more needed in a different more important role or any thing.

Seems he hit Tampas defense so hard this spring even their fans are a little concussed

Reactions: Ridley Simon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->