Confirmed with Link: Toffoli to CGY for Emil Heineman, Tyler Pitlick, top-10 protect 1st '22 (or 1st+4th '23) and 5th '24

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Pitlick is a salary cap dump.
A 5th round pick is nothing.
The prospect was not even in the Flames top 10 list.

It's basically TT for a late 1st round pick.
Not sure why I should be impressed.
It's ok I guess but TT was one of the few players I still liked on this team and one of the few with a decent contract.

Anyway, the fire sale has started.

I understand that a rebuild is necessary to clean up the mess but no way I'm going to pretend that I'm excited by the idea. This f***ing sucks.

The Athletic has Heinimen as Calgary's 7th best prospect. For context: Montreal's 7th is Roy and 8th is Norlinder.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
NOW, we will see who here will be patient and who will want a quick retool instead.
Watching a team that gives everything they have is gold, so if they surprise next year, I won't be disappointed. Winning is fun and I still can't believe that some here rather wanted a lost to the Pens in 2020 to tank for Laf than win a playoff round.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Man this puts MSL in a tough spot. I hope no one brings up the team's record at the end of the year, or anything we see on the ice, when it comes to evaluating him.

Already a bad team, not their best goal scorer is traded for a grinder and futures...

Of course some will do just that.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
What happens if their goalie or Johnny Hockey gets hurt for a significant period of time. Well their pick could be top 10.
Maybe but they're playing great this year, I would expect them to even climb in the rankings before the end of the season so I don't expect a pick before 20.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Pitlick is a salary cap dump.
A 5th round pick is nothing.
The prospect was not even in the Flames top 10 list.

It's basically TT for a late 1st round pick.
Not sure why I should be impressed.
It's ok I guess but TT was one of the few players I still liked on this team and one of the few with a decent contract.

Anyway, the fire sale has started.

I understand that a rebuild is necessary to clean up the mess but no way I'm going to pretend that I'm excited by the idea. This f***ing sucks.

Marc Bergevin who really loved his 5th round picks has entered the chat. :sarcasm:

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Well that has nothing to do with his value on the trade market. If anything, the fact that his PPG is still consistent while on a disastrous team augments his value.

Believe me, I am pro fire-sale. I just question wether it was truly necessary to jump the gun on deal like this. It just doesn't hit me as a "Let me drive him to the airport" type of deal.

Maybe Gordon and Huge believe so, but I don't get why people pretend to know that to be true and then complain about people who don't really like the deal.

It's like...you know as much as I do jabroni. Know your role.
I'm not unhappy with the return.

Just saying that without a proper scout system in place and the fact that most of the scouting team (other than Timmins) is the same, history tells us that most probably those pics won't amount to anything.

I want all the vets to go. By tje time this team can compete again out current vets will not be part of the equation other than Anderson.

So trading Tofu is a given and the return we got is what it is.

The pick could end up being a Max Pac, but it most probably ends up being a Fisher, McCarron, Leblanc, Tonordi, Scherbak, Juulsen etc...

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Initial reaction to the trade -

Why Toffoli? Why is he the first guy we’re dealing? I really didn’t think he’d be the first domino that fell in the Hughes/Gorton era. It would seem to indicate to me that Price is definitely not coming back anytime soon, (which Habs brass is aware of) and they are now in full rebuild/acquire assets and delete salary to make further moves down the road mode.

Tofu to the Flames made a lot of sense with his connections to Sutter, Lucic, and others and Calgary’s needs. Habs got a 1st in a deep draft, a B+ prospect, a 5th and a cap dump whose salary comes off the book’s immediately after the season. Ideally you’d want a little more, but it’s a fair return and the 4.25 million in freed up cap space next year will help Hughes/Gorton make even more moves to acquire more assets. I think you have to look at it that way, it’s a move to set up more moves. I think it’s a good initial trade and I wish Toffoli all the best - next season!

Reactions: ottawa

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I'm not unhappy with the return.

Just saying that without a proper scout system in place and the fact that most of the scouting team (other than Timmins) is the same, history tells us that most probably those pics won't amount to anything.

I want all the vets to go. By tje time this team can compete again out current vets will not be part of the equation other than Anderson.

So trading Tofu is a given and the return we got is what it is.

The pick could end up being a Max Pac, but it most probably ends up being a Fisher, McCarron, Leblanc, Tonordi, Scherbak, Juulsen etc...

So, basically, you'e just giving the odds of a late first rounder. That has zero bearing on who the scouting department is. It's the odds of a late first rounder becoming an impact player.

Jul 6, 2016
Why trade a guy who seems to like to play in Montreal very much and was still one of the best forward ?

Why not get rid of other high salaries players first like Hoffman, Petry, Drouin, Gally, Armia or Dvorak, guys for most of them who don't give a shit ?

I'd rather would I liked a team with guys like Toffoli, Danault, Lekkonen and Chiarot than that bunch.

Reactions: barbu and Kimota

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Why trade a guy who seems to like to play in Montreal very much and was still one of the best forward ?

Why not get rid of other high salaries players first like Hoffman, Petry, Drouin, Gally, Armia or Dvorak, guys for most of them who don't give a shit ?

I'd rather would I liked a team with guys like Toffoli, Danault, Lekkonen and Chiarot than that bunch.

No one wants those guys.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Hughes and Gorton are then in deep shit.
Thats the problem now wich 24 teams on 32 are tight to the salary cap. 5 years ago, when 5 teams were close to the cap, it was possible to trade some players with problems for picks. Like cammaleri back in the days. Or kostitsyn. This is. Not posssible today

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

RandR

May 15, 2011
I have liked Toffoli since his junior days with the 67s and he was a terrific signing by Bergevin before last season. From day one at the beginning of last season (remember all those goals against the Canucks early in the year) he played as well as anyone could have hoped for. He also was a mentor to Caufield and Suzuki and liked it in Montreal. So I am sorry to see him go.

For Calgary I think this is an excellent trade as he should fit in great on their 2nd line. For the Habs, I think Hughes and Gorton did fine enough as they sold high on Toffoli — I think the return they got is based on last year’s performance. I don’t know anything about Heineman but he sounds like a reasonable prospect. The 1st round pick is the key of course, and there is no certainly at all that the Flames will get very far this year… they could easily either miss the playoffs or go out in the 1st round. The extra cap space the Habs get has value too.

The main thing this says to me is that the Habs are in a rebuild not a retool. I am convinced Chiarot will get another 1st round pick, so it will be nice to have at least 3 first round picks in the upcoming draft taking place, of course, in Montreal itself.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Highlights are fun. Highlights are also responsible for people putting Norlinder in our starting lineup at the beginning of the year. And Rockstrom hasn't rocked anything since he's here. Frankly, the only reason why I don't entirely dislike the deal is because I have seen full games of Heineman myself in his draft year and liked him. But...remains to be seen how fast he is in his decision making. And how he won't be another complementary player. People say that we probably should not have expected Pelletier and Coronato? Fine. So Zary or Heineman? Time will tell.

Hoping that we do the best we can with the 1st rounders we will rack. Problem with that too is that it seems it's Martin Lapointe's who is handling this, and the choice of Heineman means it's Lapointe going back to what Churla and Timmins wanted. So...in this upcoming draft....are we getting fresh eyes? Or we are getting a copy of the ones we wanted out? And again, time will tell.

It doesn't mean it won't be good. Absolutely not. But as a first impression, even though I like Heineman, it's just not the type of return I would have expected for probably the best value we had to offer.

Reactions: Archijerej and 1909
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland