Confirmed with Link: Toffoli to CGY for Emil Heineman, Tyler Pitlick, top-10 protect 1st '22 (or 1st+4th '23) and 5th '24

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I don't see why we had to trade him now... Unless he wanted out...
He was performing and is on great contract... Based on performance, contract and pedigree Toffoli was worth a 1st... At worst he would have been worth a 2nd and a Heinemen type prospect... Pitlick and a 5th isn't anything worth mentionning...

Odds of getting a player that is better or equal to Toffoli is probably somewhere between 39.8%-13,6%
Heinemen isn't a sure thing and was never really seen as a guy with a high ceilling so might not have any impact at the NHL level...
Pitlick is a 30yo UFA and 5th is pretty worth less and the 5th is likely to compensate for picking up Pitlick Salary...
So there is almost almost a 60% odds that we traded Toffoli for nothing, considering we dind't have to trade him I kind of suprised.

It does put MSL in a tuff spot since next year will be ruff... But the one thing that is positive is that this is a pretty big sign that the plan is a full rebuild and probably put some pressure on other team to start making moves which could help us out with Petry or Chariot.

Reactions: dinodebino

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Michael Farber on TSN690 earlier said that the MSL era means the end of zombie hockey. :laugh: That's one way to put how the Habs have looked like this season on the ice.
We need skill and speed in the worst way, I just want to see a few passes executed in a game, there is no flow to the way we play hockey and it has been like that for a very long time.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
This guy is right:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220214-201525_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220214-201525_Chrome.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 14

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Just to be stubborn ;)

All teams missing the playoffs are in the Lottery
Teams with the least points get more chances at winning the Lottery
The 1st overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls. A team can only jump ten spots, so only the top 11 teams are eligible for the 1st pick. If a team in the 12-16 range wins the first drawing, the first pick will remain with the worst team.
The 2nd overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls. If a team in the 12-16 range won the first drawing, the worst team keeps the 1st pick and is excluded from the second drawing. Like the first drawing, the second winner can only jump ten spots.
Teams are only allowed to improve their positioning via the Lottery twice in a five year period (beginning with the 2022 Lottery).
Ties are broken by teams' total number of regulation wins (RW), regulation and non-shootout overtime wins (ROW), and then head-to-head if still tied
Playoff teams that did not win their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks
Playoff teams that won their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks

Conference finals losers sorted by points are assigned picks 29 and 30
Stanley Cup runner-up is assigned pick 31
Stanley Cup champion is assigned pick 32

Unless the rules has changed,
NHL Draft Rules | Lines.com

Engelwood

Jul 1, 2018
2022. Confused me too since it's top-10 protected and the Flames are nowhere close to that bad.
What happens if their goalie or Johnny Hockey gets hurt for a significant period of time. Well their pick could be top 10.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Pitlick is a salary cap dump.
A 5th round pick is nothing.
The prospect was not even in the Flames top 10 list.

It's basically TT for a late 1st round pick.
Not sure why I should be impressed.
It's ok I guess but TT was one of the few players I still liked on this team and one of the few with a decent contract.

Anyway, the fire sale has started.

I understand that a rebuild is necessary to clean up the mess but no way I'm going to pretend that I'm excited by the idea. This f***ing sucks.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Great trade for the Habs - to think they had Toffoli for a year and then trade him for so many assets.

Montreal needs depth more then anything and that’s why I like the trade. Lots of pieces and they need lots of Help everywhere

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I'd be shocked if they didn't make the playoffs. They are already a good team and they just got a great top 6 player. It will be a late 1st.

I'm not saying they'll miss the playoffs, I'm saying that the West is tight and the order of the Pacific is up for grabs. Calgary doesn't have a straight shot to 2nd round at all.

Reactions: Runner77

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Also like the trade for Calgary because Toffoli just scores and he scores well in the playoffs. Montreal won the trade but Calgary got a pure shooter and an extra goal here or there for Sutter in a playoff series means the world to his teams. Calgary has a good team and Toffoli helps with that one shot finish that they needed on the PP

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
He was performing and is on great contract... Based on performance, contract and pedigree Toffoli was worth a 1st... At worst he would have been worth a 2nd and a Heinemen type prospect... Pitlick and a 5th isn't anything worth mentionning...

Odds of getting a player that is better or equal to Toffoli is probably somewhere between 39.8%-13,6%
Heinemen isn't a sure thing and was never really seen as a guy with a high ceilling so might not have any impact at the NHL level...
Pitlick is a 30yo UFA and 5th is pretty worth less and the 5th is likely to compensate for picking up Pitlick Salary...
So there is almost almost a 60% odds that we traded Toffoli for nothing, considering we dind't have to trade him I kind of suprised.

It does put MSL in a tuff spot since next year will be ruff... But the one thing that is positive is that this is a pretty big sign that the plan is a full rebuild and probably put some pressure on other team to start making moves which could help us out with Petry or Chariot.

You really don’t get it, do you? I like Toffoli, I really do but every veteran save Anderson should moved if possible.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

you're forgetting that Tofu departure opens up an NHL spot for our youngsters to play more. I'm sure MSL was part of the decision, and I'm sure tofu indicated he'd like to try playing elsewhere instead of ending his career in a rebuild (if I were him I would request a trade too). as of today, I believe we got the highest return we could, no way any other team pays more closer to deadline notwithstanding.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Toffoli really surpassed expections last year. For me, it's a case of "sell high". Not a lot of guys here would give a 1st and a 2nd for 2 1/2 years of Toffoli. Plus, it's to make room for Caufield on RW.
And I was chastised for wanting to sell Domi after the first year - where his numbers were downright crazy. Selling high is the best thing a manager can do.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
And I was chastised for wanting to sell Domi after the first year - where his numbers were downright crazy. Selling high is the best thing a manager can do.
When stats don't say it all, it's a good thing. We got pretty fair value for a player that won't be better with time. We will need cap and contracts space and the RW is fully loaded. Make sense for the rebuild even if I really liked Toffoli time in Montreal.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Habs might be betting on Calgary somehow collapsing hard enough that they pick Top 10 this year, losing Johnny Hockey in the offseason, and getting an ever better pick the following year.

Yeah, that's the plan. Sure...

Better yet, they sign Johnny Hockey to make that happen...

Cut the Whacky Tabacky...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad