Confirmed with Link: Toffoli to CGY for Emil Heineman, Tyler Pitlick, top-10 protect 1st '22 (or 1st+4th '23) and 5th '24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I can see why people are claiming there is nothing good available with late 1st round picks given our last decade. What they need to understand is this is in no way shape or form the same contingent pulling the strings. There will always be steals available even in later rounds because not all kids hit their peak in junior the year of their draft. Imagine what drafts would look like one or two years later compared to what it actually is.
Actually, it's almost exactly the same contingent pulling the strings in this year's draft.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Would have been fine keeping him with his very reasonable contract and production but the return looks good so...sure.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
To be fair, we don't actually know if he wanted to be here. They did have meetings with the vets and asked about their willingness to stick with a rebuild. Perhaps Toffoli asked to be traded but unlike certain other players, decided to play with pride?
From what was reported, Toffoli was pretty much the only veteran who confirmed he wants to stay.

Reactions: Habs Icing

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
From what was reported, Toffoli was pretty much the only veteran who confirmed he wants to stay.
He was probably the vet that had the highest value to opposing teams as well. This was a business move as much as a hockey move and these were the types of moves that MB would never make. It clears cap, gets us a prospect and a first-round pick, it's a win.

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
This is what happens when you hire a tool like Bergevin who then hired his tool buddies.
There was never a true plan. How else do you justify signing Hoffman? How many friggin wingers did you need?
Now folks are upset that Hughes traded a popular and decent vet.
These are the hard decisions that a new GM has to make because the previous GM handed out insane contracts to aging players and thought the best strategy was to build around 2 aging players who probably won't play again.

Price hasn't skated in 5 days...doesn't sound real promising.

An absolute mess will require alot of work.
I commend Hughes for his move yesterday.
Agree 100 % .They have quite a job to do with the mess that was left here.Trying to get rid of bad contracts left over from purple pants will be tough.How in the world is he going to get rid of Gallagher ,Armia,Price,Drouin,Savard,Hoffman,Wideman,Paquette, and i know i missed a few.People who don't understand a rebuild better get used to players leaving.You can't rebuild a home with a bad foundation.You have to tear it down from the ground up

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Agree 100 % .They have quite a job to do with the mess that was left here.Trying to get rid of bad contracts left over from purple pants will be tough.How in the world is he going to get rid of Gallagher ,Armia,Price,Drouin,Savard,Hoffman,Wideman,Paquette, and i know i missed a few.People who don't understand a rebuild better get used to players leaving.You can't rebuild a home with a bad foundation.You have to tear it down from the ground up
Exactly sir

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
So, basically, you'e just giving the odds of a late first rounder. That has zero bearing on who the scouting department is. It's the odds of a late first rounder becoming an impact player.
If what you say is true, what's the effing point of having a scouting staff?

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec

Why would you want to get rid of Paquette? He's worth nothing..Same with Wideman.

I think in the coming weeks we'll see the end of Gally, Armia, Petry, Drouin, Chiarot, Lehkonen, and Allen.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Why would you want to get rid of Paquette? He's worth nothing..Same with Wideman.

I think in the coming weeks we'll see the end of Gally, Armia, Petry, Drouin, Chiarot, Lehkonen, and Allen.

It's going to take some serious gymnastics to unload Gallagher no?

I am ready for it if it happens though!

Reactions: amethyst

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I took time to analyse the trade and I like it a little bit more then yesterday. 1 thing that make change my mind is that Gorton/Hughes said that they wanted a team based on speed and that's exactly what they did with Heineman so they are consequent with what they say

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010

Because Paquette and Wideman are useless garbage.Younger players and prospects should be playing

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

So you're saying that Paquette and Wideman need to stay? That taking anything you can get for them is not worth it?

Also, I wouldn't expect them all to be moved this year. Some will be moved next year.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The more I think about it the more the return on Toffoli is very avg.
with 2 more Years… Calgary could get him for 2 playoff and still trade him for a 2nd + in the 3 rd year…
When you think Toronto paid a 1st and a 4th for Foligno a 33yo UFA on the decline…
Heinemen is decent but no one had him as one of Calgary top propect…
Odd of hitting on the 1st isn’t high…
To me that a clear win for Calgary and time will tell if it is also a win for MTL. Also

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
with 2 more Years… Calgary could get him for 2 playoff and still trade him for a 2nd + in the 3 rd year…
When you think Toronto paid a 1st and a 4th for Foligno a 33yo UFA on the decline…
To me that a clear win for Calgary and time will tell if it is also a win for MTL. Also

Toffoli was also a free asset though, we didn't pay anything to get him and turned him into assets.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
This whole trade hinges on Heineman, because a late 1st for 3 years of Toffoli is a rubbish return. So, here's hoping the kid is going to be a good player for us. Hard to be optimistic, though, when (as per Basu's article) you learn that it is our scouts who like him, with Rockstrom at the helm, a man who literally hasn't drafted anyone during his tenure here.
And that's what scares the crap out of me. Everyone raved about the hiring of Gorton and Hughes but these guys are not superhuman. They w ill have to rely on the amateur and pro scouting set up by the previous administration. When it comes to scouting I thought MB had an eye for talent and was hamstrung by his scouting staff. On the amateur side, let us hope the scouts are good at their job and it was just TT who had his head up his ass. But I doubt that was the case. I think it was the amateur staff and TT who were lost.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

We dont know what Toffoli will be worth in two years, especially if he slows down. Toffoli was traded for a 2nd RD pick and a lesser prospect two deadline ago.

Supply and demand vary from year to year in the NHL depending from the salary cap, the available player, and what the buying team are willing to pay.

We had a first on the table from a team who is 13th in the standing, so as of right now, its a 19 overall pick. We also had a prospect who is liked by management, we can speculate that they have intel on him.

Unfortunately, we were not getting Coronato or Pelletier for a 30YO Toffoli.

Imagine its the opposite scenario where we are in a position to contend, would you be okay trading Guhle or Caufield for a player like Toffoli? Let alone them + a first.

Would you have been okay trading Ylonen and a First? Probably. And even tho Ylonen is not our best prospect, is he a shitty pieces?

I think Calgary stepped up and paid a fair price.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I think the return for Toffoli is pretty good, fwiw. Doesn't mean we'll win the trade, but it's the kind of move that we need to be making.

I don't agree that we have to get rid of everyone. Expiring contracts, sure, and maybe to get returns including firsts and serious prospects sure, but we don't need to completely empty the boat.
Isn't that what you're supposed to do on a boat that's sinking?

Reactions: Runner77

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
3 things your missing

1) Free Cap is an asset right now
2) By getting Pitlick it keeps a warm NHL body here and Ylonen in the AHL
3) It makes us worse for next year improving the odds at bedard

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Wideman and Paquette are ufas, so end of the season tell them to GTFO. However, their ineptness might help with Bedard.

Drouin might have some interest. Worst case ontario, he's dealt next deadline.

Armia, Savard, Hoffman the deadline after.

Price and Gallagher. Price, if he can come back and play well, possibly not a problem.

Gallagher.... Bonne chance mon am.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
I think Toffoli on a good contract for several years coming off a career year(with an asterisk next to the season due to division format) is a lot different then what he was a few years ago as just a rental. But we saw that in the value we got back for him. Could we have gotten more? Maybe, maybe not. Clearly this is what the market determined he was worth. And I’m happy with it from a rebuild stand point.

Makes sense. A shame though since Toffoli was a good teammate and mentor to the young'uns.

Reactions: Benstheman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad