Confirmed with Link: Toffoli to CGY for Emil Heineman, Tyler Pitlick, top-10 protect 1st '22 (or 1st+4th '23) and 5th '24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Don’t have to pass Colorado, only Vegas whom they currently have better winning percentage than

Darft order for the PO teams depends on how far you go. They most likely won't be a wildcard team so they will have to beat Vegas at some point but there's a lot of hockey to play, an injury to Markstrom for 10-15 games could put them in the wildcard spot, then having to face Colorado.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Don’t have to pass Colorado, only Vegas whom they currently have better winning percentage than

On the other side of the coin, Calgary only has a smidge of breathing room over the Ducks/Kings, with the Oilers not yet out of the equation either.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
According to many here, Bergevin won all his trades. Look at the organization he left behind in spite of all these "wins". Rebuilding is the only solution. Mtl is not Vegas or the Rangers. Players are never going to make backflips to come play here. Whether or not Hughes and Gorton will succeed is the question. I have more confidence in this duo than in other manager I have seen in my lifetime following the Habs (since the mid-80s).

Mandalorian

Screw the tank, just WIN BABY!
Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
More than 50% of draft you get a really good player in the 23-30 range. Think Pastrnak, Oshie, Carlson, Perry, Perron, Kuznetsov, Danault, Theodore, etc. If the rebuild is to be succesful, our drafting will have to improve and it’s a good guess if its the case to bet that late 1st turn into something useful. Just have to have the scouting department bright enough to bet on the right project. Of course not a sexy pick like a top 10 but those usually have really high value on the market and only go for elite player.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
That’s exactly the type of skill we’re after and we’ll have a little wiggle room with Toffoli’s salary off the books.
During the last game Laval vs Syracuse Ylonen was on the ice on the PP and Syracuse got an odd man rush and Ylonen took off and skated to back check and he easily caught the guy.
He has to be considered one of the best Skaters in the organization. Promising stuff.

Engelwood

Jul 1, 2018
1) What do you expect when drafting late in the first round? I expect a Lehkonen type of player. You tell me I overrate Toffoli and I tell you that you overrate late 1st round picks.

2) I aim for a prospect who projects to have close to the same impact offensively as Toffoli. A guy with that upside, no matter the bust risk.

3) I like the idea of Tyler Pitlick, but he's been injured for the most part of two years now. This is clearly a cap dump.

4) A 5th to compensate for the probability of losing Pitlick for nothing.

Again, this is a situation where CGY had to pay up, we are not getting rid of a bad contract.

I don't think CGY ever sweated this one. They take this and run.
1) No you are hoping for a late first round steal: Brodeur at 20, Koivu or Rask at 21, Eberle or Foote at 22, Mike Richards or Briere at 24, Pastrnak at 25, C Lemieux or Palffy at 26, Nieuwendyk at 27, Mike Richter, Corey Perry at 28
2) You are not going to get a 1st pick and a grade A prospect for a 30 year old goal scorer that will only get slower
3) It is a cap dump. That is more than obvious
4) The 5th is just a 5th, maybe to take the cap dump

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Again, I'm one of the original pro-tankers on this board. But I don't really like the value obtained by Huge on this trade.

Losing a 25 goal scorer doesn't matter in our current situation, but maximizing what you get in return does.
Waiting until the deadline, could also be vonsidered a game of chicken...and we all remember, the Isles did this, and MB got Vanek for a 2nd on deadline day.....
So waiting, can end up very sad.....slippery slope.

I like the deal, the 1st is the key for me, then the prospect, the other pick and Pitlick are ok.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
More than 50% of draft you get a really good player in the 23-30 range. Think Pastrnak, Oshie, Carlson, Perry, Perron, Kuznetsov, Danault, Theodore, etc. If the rebuild is to be succesful, our drafting will have to improve and it’s a good guess if its the case to bet that late 1st turn into something useful. Just have to have the scouting department bright enough to bet on the right project. Of course not a sexy pick like a top 10 but those usually have really high value on the market and only go for elite player.

We haven't seemed to draft many great players in the first couple rounds. I'm curious how this year's draft plays out for us.

Reactions: Rapala

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
On the other side of the coin, Calgary only has a smidge of breathing room over the Ducks/Kings, with the Oilers not yet out of the equation either.
I'd be shocked if they didn't make the playoffs. They are already a good team and they just got a great top 6 player. It will be a late 1st.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

McPhees Moustache

Dec 11, 2021
Calgary
Darft order for the PO teams depends on how far you go. They most likely won't be a wildcard team so they will have to beat Vegas at some point but there's a lot of hockey to play, an injury to Markstrom for 10-15 games could put them in the wildcard spot, then having to face Colorado.

Just to be stubborn ;)

All teams missing the playoffs are in the Lottery
Teams with the least points get more chances at winning the Lottery
The 1st overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls. A team can only jump ten spots, so only the top 11 teams are eligible for the 1st pick. If a team in the 12-16 range wins the first drawing, the first pick will remain with the worst team.
The 2nd overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls. If a team in the 12-16 range won the first drawing, the worst team keeps the 1st pick and is excluded from the second drawing. Like the first drawing, the second winner can only jump ten spots.
Teams are only allowed to improve their positioning via the Lottery twice in a five year period (beginning with the 2022 Lottery).
Ties are broken by teams' total number of regulation wins (RW), regulation and non-shootout overtime wins (ROW), and then head-to-head if still tied
Playoff teams that did not win their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks
Playoff teams that won their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks

Conference finals losers sorted by points are assigned picks 29 and 30
Stanley Cup runner-up is assigned pick 31
Stanley Cup champion is assigned pick 32

Engelwood

Jul 1, 2018
This trade is really mehhh.

Flames have the 9th best % in the NHL right now.

So we'd get pick 24.

I would have prefered to go after a pick closer to 15.
A Team near 15 pick is not going to give up their first for Toffoli as they are in that treadmill position and need more prospects usually. They are looking from the outside in(Detroit, Anahiem, Vancouver)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Toffoli really surpassed expections last year. For me, it's a case of "sell high". Not a lot of guys here would give a 1st and a 2nd for 2 1/2 years of Toffoli. Plus, it's to make room for Caufield on RW.
plus to clear a decent amount on next year cap that you can either add a player with, or take a cap dump and an asset for

Reactions: GrandBison

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Man this puts MSL in a tough spot. I hope no one brings up the team's record at the end of the year, or anything we see on the ice, when it comes to evaluating him.

Already a bad team, not their best goal scorer is traded for a grinder and futures...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad