Confirmed with Link: Toffoli to CGY for Emil Heineman, Tyler Pitlick, top-10 protect 1st '22 (or 1st+4th '23) and 5th '24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Damn that hurts. If it was me, Tofoli would have been the last guy to get rid of if the goal was to trade our biggest guys. Good work ethic, loved it here. And you need decent players going forward. And given the return, it doesn't seem to me that losing him should have been a pressing matter. (I would have let them keep all that we got for Pelletier). I feel like it was done rather quickly.

If it's a complete rebuild, I have less of an issue. Let them all go. But if it's a reset, I would have kept Tofoli.
Even if it's a rebuild, why not wait a year? Salary was easy to fit, can mentor younger players, was productive in this shitshow this season. Why stockpile 1st rounders in 2022 when you don't even have a director of scouting and that the draft philosophy might not be as precise as it should be? Why not trade him next year for most probably the same return, but with a 2023 1st rounder instead of a 2022 (which we should have another from a potential Chiarot trade anyway)

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
You summed it up for me. A rebuild with no scoring, isn't helping this team at all. We finally found a player who wants to be here, and move him.. I don't think its a step forward at all
To be fair, we don't actually know if he wanted to be here. They did have meetings with the vets and asked about their willingness to stick with a rebuild. Perhaps Toffoli asked to be traded but unlike certain other players, decided to play with pride?

Reactions: Corson27 and Natey

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
To be fair, we don't actually know if he wanted to be here. They did have meetings with the vets and asked about their willingness to stick with a rebuild. Perhaps Toffoli asked to be traded but unlike certain other players, decided to play with pride?
I think he was quoted as wanting to stay, whereas other guys have said nothing, or been ambivalent , like Gallagher.

Reactions: Habs Icing

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think the return for Toffoli is pretty good, fwiw. Doesn't mean we'll win the trade, but it's the kind of move that we need to be making.

I don't agree that we have to get rid of everyone. Expiring contracts, sure, and maybe to get returns including firsts and serious prospects sure, but we don't need to completely empty the boat.

jakobsbror

Oct 17, 2013
I like the return. We've cornered the Pitlick market. We've got a 1st round pick on Hughes' first trade, which Bergevin never managed to do in 9 years. Heineman was an interesting prospect in 2020's draft, so why not.

What's important too is that we've gained more capspace, which should facilitate another trade at least.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
I think we're forgetting a major asset we got in this trade, and that's cap space.

I can see Hughes being in on Dadonov now that Vegas wants to activate Eichel. If we get say a 2nd + 4th to take him for this year and next, we get a middle 6 forward back.

It will look like

Toffoli + D prospect (contract reasons)
Vs
Dadonov, Emil, Pitlick, 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
I like the return. We've cornered the Pitlick market. We've got a 1st round pick on Hughes' first trade, which Bergevin never managed to do in 9 years. Heineman was an interesting prospect in 2020's draft, so why not.

What's important too is that we've gained more capspace, which should facilitate another trade at least.

Ha, beat me by a minute

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think we're forgetting a major asset we got in this trade, and that's cap space.

I can see Hughes being in on Dadonov now that Vegas wants to activate Eichel. If we get say a 2nd + 4th to take him for this year and next, we get a middle 6 forward back.

It will look like

Toffoli + D prospect (contract reasons)
Vs
Dadonov, Emil, Pitlick, 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th

This is good thinking, IMO. Toffoli is a good player which is why I think some habs fans are not very comfortable with the trade. But his genre of player can be replaced through UFA and trade, and he returned us a 1st and a serious prospect. Toffoli came to us via UFA signing after all. We've signed similar players before, and will sign them in the future.

Don't get me wrong, Toffoli isn't a ''replacement level'' player. But he can be replaced via UFA if needed.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Couple of my thoughts on the trade :

- Trade : I think it’s close to fair value. We’ll be able to judge better once we see what other players traded this year get back. Past value of players traded are a good indication but does not set the price all the time because each year the situation of the teams are different. Could we have gotten better return if they waited ? Probably, but it wouldn’t have been by much.

- Toffoli : Surprised that he was the first one to go. I would have kept him till next year to keep veteran presence on the team and some scoring threat (don’t want all the pressure on the kids). I guess that by trading him now you take any risk of injuries or regression which could lessen his value. Looking at his comments, he wasn’t sure he wanted to be a rebuilding team (makes sense since he signed here after the kids performances in the bubble), so as far as we know he could have let his agent know that he wanted to go elsewhere.

- 1st Round Pick : Finally, after so many years we get a second first round pick. People are crying for Pelletier And Zary but they forget that both those players were drafted 26th and 24th.

Habs could easily end up with a guy with as much potential, produces the same or just becomes flat out better than any of those guys in the NHL. We will have to wait a few years to see what we get out of it, but what if it’s a home run ? Also gives a chance to the management to pick a player that fits in their vision.

- Heinemann : People are dismissing this kid so quickly. It doesn’t matter if we, the Calgary fans or the media thinks he was the 10th best prospect, the only thing that matters is where the Habs rank him. For all we know, Flames had him in their top 5 prospects but they had to give to get. It’s also probable that some of their prospects were intouchable as they may lose Gaudreau and maybe Tkachuk (also Monahan who isn’t the player he used to be) so they needed to keep some.

I had Heinemann closer to 5th than 10th in their prospects pool. Yes he might not be a top 6 player in the end, but this kid has so much tools that he will eventually play in the NHL. Big winger, great skater, good at forechecking, good wrist shot and more than decent hands.

His best attribute is playing the game at high pace, which was something Hughes and Gorton put lot of accent on in their press conference.
People tend to forget that players with high motors can exceed their ceiling because of all the work they put in.

Even if he tops out as a 3rd line scoring winger, you need players like him in the line up and in your prospect pool (which is not so great when you look at the forwards group). I’ll gladly take a third line scoring winger on his ELC.

We could have gotten as 2nd round pick, but Heinemann is better than that and closer to the NHL, which makes him more valuable. They probably got Rockstrom opinion on him, which could be seen as a bad thing considering our record drafting out of Sweden.

- 5th round pick 2024 : The more assets that we control the better. Picks probably end up not having any impact, but just last year the Habs drafted Joshua Roy in the fifth round pick. They also drafted Farrell, Dobes and Dichow in the 4th-5th round. Those guys might not play in the NHL but it’s definitely an interesting gamble to take as they all show some potential.

Pick can also be used to move up/move down at the draft, traded for an equal pick the year later or even be used to get some depth through the line up.

- Tyler Pitlick : Cap dump that fills a roster spot. Will be important to have some of these guys as other trades will surely happen. He will be gone at the end of the season. Not much to say there.

- Cap space : Trading Toffoli gives the team some cap room which is always good to have and might also help at the trade deadline. Habs might want to help a team retain some salaries or take some contract that might bring some extra assets along the line.

- Top 10 protection : Unless there’s a big injury or catastrophic second half, Calgary will most likely be in the playoff, but this can only be good for the habs. If they somehow miss the playoffs and end up top 10, they get a pick that should be better (with the uncertainty of Gaudreau staying) and an extra 4th round pick.

- - -

Overall, it’s a far trade for both teams. We won’t know much till a few years, but if their assessment of Heinemann is right and that they hit on that 1st round pick it will be a great trade for the team. I wanted a bit more, but in the end the difference wouldn’t have been that big, I’m satisfied with the return they got.

The way I see it, Habs could end up with 3 1st round pick this year and 3/2 next year with some prospects close to the NHL (which should speed up the process).

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I think the return for Toffoli is pretty good, fwiw. Doesn't mean we'll win the trade, but it's the kind of move that we need to be making.

I don't agree that we have to get rid of everyone. Expiring contracts, sure, and maybe to get returns including firsts and serious prospects sure, but we don't need to completely empty the boat.
Why not though? If we're getting 1st round picks and good prospects... get rid of anyone. We need to rebuild 1. because we suck and 2. because Bergevin put us in a terrible spot cap wise.

If we can trade Gallagher or Anderson without retaining salary? Have at it. If we can get last year's value for Petry? See ya. If someone wants to take a flyer on one year of Drouin? Be my guest.

The only guys I wouldn't trade are young kids who are developing (Suzuki, Caufield, Romanov, Evans) and solid leaders like Edmundson and Lehkonen who will never bring back their worth in a trade.

If we get 4 1st rounders this year... something's got to hit, right? lol

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Couple of my thoughts on the trade :

- Trade : I think it’s close to fair value. We’ll be able to judge better once we see what other players traded this year get back. Past value of players traded are a good indication but does not set the price all the time because each year the situation of the teams are different. Could we have gotten better return if they waited ? Probably, but it wouldn’t have been by much.

- Toffoli : Surprised that he was the first one to go. I would have kept him till next year to keep veteran presence on the team and some scoring threat (don’t want all the pressure on the kids). I guess that by trading him now you take any risk of injuries or regression which could lessen his value. Looking at his comments, he wasn’t sure he wanted to be a rebuilding team (makes sense since he signed here after the kids performances in the bubble), so as far as we know he could have let his agent know that he wanted to go elsewhere.

- 1st Round Pick : Finally, after so many years we get a second first round pick. People are crying for Pelletier And Zary but they forget that both those players were drafted 26th and 24th.

Habs could easily end up with a guy with as much potential, produces the same or just becomes flat out better than any of those guys in the NHL. We will have to wait a few years to see what we get out of it, but what if it’s a home run ? Also gives a chance to the management to pick a player that fits in their vision.

- Heinemann : People are dismissing this kid so quickly. It doesn’t matter if we, the Calgary fans or the media thinks he was the 10th best prospect, the only thing that matters is where the Habs rank him. For all we know, Flames had him in their top 5 prospects but they had to give to get. It’s also probable that some of their prospects were intouchable as they may lose Gaudreau and maybe Tkachuk (also Monahan who isn’t the player he used to be) so they needed to keep some.

I had Heinemann closer to 5th than 10th in their prospects pool. Yes he might not be a top 6 player in the end, but this kid has so much tools that he will eventually play in the NHL. Big winger, great skater, good at forechecking, good wrist shot and more than decent hands.

His best attribute is playing the game at high pace, which was something Hughes and Gorton put lot of accent on in their press conference.
People tend to forget that players with high motors can exceed their ceiling because of all the work they put in.

Even if he tops out as a 3rd line scoring winger, you need players like him in the line up and in your prospect pool (which is not so great when you look at the forwards group). I’ll gladly take a third line scoring winger on his ELC.

We could have gotten as 2nd round pick, but Heinemann is better than that and closer to the NHL, which makes him more valuable. They probably got Rockstrom opinion on him, which could be seen as a bad thing considering our record drafting out of Sweden.

- 5th round pick 2024 : The more assets that we control the better. Picks probably end up not having any impact, but just last year the Habs drafted Joshua Roy in the fifth round pick. They also drafted Farrell, Dobes and Dichow in the 4th-5th round. Those guys might not play in the NHL but it’s definitely an interesting gamble to take as they all show some potential.

Pick can also be used to move up/move down at the draft, traded for an equal pick the year later or even be used to get some depth through the line up.

- Tyler Pitlick : Cap dump that fills a roster spot. Will be important to have some of these guys as other trades will surely happen. He will be gone at the end of the season. Not much to say there.

- Cap space : Trading Toffoli gives the team some cap room which is always good to have and might also help at the trade deadline. Habs might want to help a team retain some salaries or take some contract that might bring some extra assets along the line.

- Top 10 protection : Unless there’s a big injury or catastrophic second half, Calgary will most likely be in the playoff, but this can only be good for the habs. If they somehow miss the playoffs and end up top 10, they get a pick that should be better (with the uncertainty of Gaudreau staying) and an extra 4th round pick.

- - -

Overall, it’s a far trade for both teams. We won’t know much till a few years, but if their assessment of Heinemann is right and that they hit on that 1st round pick it will be a great trade for the team. I wanted a bit more, but in the end the difference wouldn’t have been that big, I’m satisfied with the return they got.

The way I see it, Habs could end up with 3 1st round pick this year and 3/2 next year with some prospects close to the NHL (which should speed up the process).

Pitlick is a pending ufa. Can he be flipped for an asset at the TDL, or is he a Paquette value wise?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Why not though? If we're getting 1st round picks and good prospects... get rid of anyone. We need to rebuild 1. because we suck and 2. because Bergevin put us in a terrible spot cap wise.

If we can trade Gallagher or Anderson without retaining salary? Have at it. If we can get last year's value for Petry? See ya. If someone wants to take a flyer on one year of Drouin? Be my guest.

The only guys I wouldn't trade are young kids who are developing (Suzuki, Caufield, Romanov, Evans) and solid leaders like Edmundson and Lehkonen who will never bring back their worth in a trade.

If we get 4 1st rounders this year... something's got to hit, right? lol

We basically agree. I think we should draft about 5 times in the first round between this year, and next year, and that this should be our primary goal. But we should trade as little as possible to achieve that goal, IMO.

Bergevin hilariously overemphasized karaktère and leadership, but you do need it in order to maintain a lockerroom that people want to be a part of.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Pitlick is a pending ufa. Can he be flipped for an asset at the TDL, or is he a Paquette value wise?

I don’t expect him to garner much interest. I’ll take him way ahead of Paquette as he has more hockey sense, better hands and way better shot.

He’s not really the same type of player. Paquette has a super simple game where he finishes all his checks and looks to be physical any time he can. Some teams do value that as it can give them physical depth, but with the year he’s having with us I don’t expect to get anything for him (if we do and it’s more than 7th or AHL player I will be surprised).

Pitlick definitely has more value in my book, but you would have to retain a bit on him. He’s a good depth player and I think they will probably keep him and let him finish the year here. He was good with the Flyers but not enough consistency not as explosive as his cousin but maybe better set of hands.

If they retain (which might not happen as they probably will retain on Chiarot and maybe on a trade they might facilitate for an other team) they probably get a 5th/6th round pick.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
Initial reaction to the trade -

Why Toffoli? Why is he the first guy we’re dealing? I really didn’t think he’d be the first domino that fell in the Hughes/Gorton era. It would seem to indicate to me that Price is definitely not coming back anytime soon, (which Habs brass is aware of) and they are now in full rebuild/acquire assets and delete salary to make further moves down the road mode.

Tofu to the Flames made a lot of sense with his connections to Sutter, Lucic, and others and Calgary’s needs. Habs got a 1st in a deep draft, a B+ prospect, a 5th and a cap dump whose salary comes off the book’s immediately after the season. Ideally you’d want a little more, but it’s a fair return and the 4.25 million in freed up cap space next year will help Hughes/Gorton make even more moves to acquire more assets. I think you have to look at it that way, it’s a move to set up more moves. I think it’s a good initial trade and I wish Toffoli all the best - next season!

why toffoli? because in the flat cap world not many contenders can take long term deals. and it won't get any better in the offseason. i have a serious doubt that we're going to be able to trade petry or gally without sizable retention. this is a quite strong return, all things considered.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
Hands, size, and speed, yes. But Lehkonen’s calling card is his iq. All things being equal to get his potential replacement now is a solid move.
Sorry I should have been more specific...I meant offensive IQ/instinct.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Man this puts MSL in a tough spot. I hope no one brings up the team's record at the end of the year, or anything we see on the ice, when it comes to evaluating him.

Already a bad team, not their best goal scorer is traded for a grinder and futures...
MSL knows for sure, what the plan is, no way does he get evaluated on the results of a poorly built team that they all were left......but he might get judged on CC scoring more goals as he has already.....thinking the develoment of younger plyers is about to improve with a coach like MSL.

Reactions: Runner77 and 26Mats

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
This is what happens when you hire a tool like Bergevin who then hired his tool buddies.
There was never a true plan. How else do you justify signing Hoffman? How many friggin wingers did you need?
Now folks are upset that Hughes traded a popular and decent vet.
These are the hard decisions that a new GM has to make because the previous GM handed out insane contracts to aging players and thought the best strategy was to build around 2 aging players who probably won't play again.

Price hasn't skated in 5 days...doesn't sound real promising.

An absolute mess will require alot of work.
I commend Hughes for his move yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille