Confirmed with Link: Toffoli to CGY for Emil Heineman, Tyler Pitlick, top-10 protect 1st '22 (or 1st+4th '23) and 5th '24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Damn that hurts. If it was me, Tofoli would have been the last guy to get rid of if the goal was to trade our biggest guys. Good work ethic, loved it here. And you need decent players going forward. And given the return, it doesn't seem to me that losing him should have been a pressing matter. (I would have let them keep all that we got for Pelletier). I feel like it was done rather quickly.

If it's a complete rebuild, I have less of an issue. Let them all go. But if it's a reset, I would have kept Tofoli.

Reactions: Rockomax and 1909

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
you're forgetting that Tofu departure opens up an NHL spot for our youngsters to play more. I'm sure MSL was part of the decision, and I'm sure tofu indicated he'd like to try playing elsewhere instead of ending his career in a rebuild (if I were him I would request a trade too). as of today, I believe we got the highest return we could, no way any other team pays more closer to deadline notwithstanding.

He was still under contract for 2 years, it not like we lost him for nothing if we held out for more or to next years deadline... Also what younster need more NHL ice time or was being block by Toffoli???
We could have got a 1st from a lot of team for a guy that has 70pts (37 goals) in is last 89 games (on the worst team in the league) + he has playoff / cup pedigree and is sign for another 2 years at 4.25M$...
To me the only wild card is Heinemen or where Cgy might finish, because Pitlick and the 5th are thrown in for cap purpuse.
It isn't a bad trade but this isn't a great trade either...
Time will tell if we pick a good player or if Heinemen has any impact in the NHL.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
You really don’t get it, do you? I like Toffoli, I really do but every veteran save Anderson should moved if possible.
I have no issues trading vetern but why Toffoli now? Also why only keep Anderson that contract is going to be painfull if he loses a step which will happen in the next 4 years if there one guy we need to sell early on it probably should be Anderson...

Reactions: barbu

Mandalorian

Screw the tank, just WIN BABY!
Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
So, in theory, we could end up with 1st OA AND an extra 4th!? Haha. Tank Calgary tank!!
Yes, usually it's like that.

But for that, Calgary would really need to collapse hard. Very unlikely, but now we have a reason to watch the Calgary box score (I personally couldn't give a f about this team previously but you can be sure I will cheer hard for them to epically tank this season and the next one).

Reactions: Runner77 and Habs13

Mandalorian

Screw the tank, just WIN BABY!
Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
I have no issues trading vetern but why Toffoli now? Also why only keep Anderson that contract is going to be painfull if he loses a step which will happen in the next 4 years if there one guy we need to sell early on it probably should be Anderson...
If you know this, NHL GMs know it too.

Let that sink in.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I take it! The return isnt bad, I would like a better prospect than Emil but I cant complain. Scouting dont tell the future and statewise, the guy the 2nd best u21 goal scorer and that has a bottom lines guy. We never know.

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It’s gonna be awful IF he loses a step….IF…..be he hasn’t so let’s go with that.

And there’s a floor we also need to respect in regards to the cap, you can’t trade everyone.

Furthermore, our management want this team to play with pace and speed, Anderson is that, Toffoli not so much (and I’m a big fan of the Toffey)

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
you're forgetting that Tofu departure opens up an NHL spot for our youngsters to play more. I'm sure MSL was part of the decision, and I'm sure tofu indicated he'd like to try playing elsewhere instead of ending his career in a rebuild (if I were him I would request a trade too). as of today, I believe we got the highest return we could, no way any other team pays more closer to deadline notwithstanding.
MSL has been there for 1 week, I highly doubt he had any say in anything, Marty is still trying to figure out where the main entrance to the B/C is…..he’s not in the war room with Hughes and Gorton.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

Let that sink in.

Team trade for immediate help all the time... our cup window will open when Anderson declin, for other team it might be the other way around... The point was that the previous poster wanted to trade everyone but Anderson, which to me doesn't make sense especially because of his contract... I have no issues with trading anyone as long as the return is adquate. NHL GM make horrible short sighted move all the time...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We haven't seemed to draft many great players in the first couple rounds. I'm curious how this year's draft plays out for us.

I can see why people are claiming there is nothing good available with late 1st round picks given our last decade. What they need to understand is this is in no way shape or form the same contingent pulling the strings. There will always be steals available even in later rounds because not all kids hit their peak in junior the year of their draft. Imagine what drafts would look like one or two years later compared to what it actually is.

Reactions: Nedved

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Team trade for immediate help all the time... our cup window will open when Anderson declin, for other team it might be the other way around... The point was that the previous poster wanted to trade everyone but Anderson, which to me doesn't make sense especially because of his contract... I have no issues with trading anyone as long as the return is adquate. NHL GM make horrible short sighted move all the time...
Why are you concerned about his contract??

Are we looking to add serious talent through Free agency during this rebuild??

It’s irrelevant….and you need some veterans on the team, you can’t just have kids running around….

Archy

Sep 16, 2010
Invisible player in Stanley Cup Finals. No character. First of many to clean house. Hopefully we get good picks and value to rebuild for 2+ years

Reactions: JurequeparJuraj

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Reading the posts here it's clear a couple of guys don't get the concept of rebuilding. It's a good thing they don't have to get it for our management to do it.
I think you misunderstand the nature of people's complaint.

Toffoli is not a rental. A late 1st + B prospect is what you could have expected for him if he was. Calgary just bought a potential three playoff runs for the price of one.

This has nothing to do with rebuilding. When you rebuild, it doesn't mean you have to unload every veteran in one off-season and below their value. I'm not even going to mention the impact it's going to have on Suzuki.

This whole trade hinges on Heineman, because a late 1st for 3 years of Toffoli is a rubbish return. So, here's hoping the kid is going to be a good player for us. Hard to be optimistic, though, when (as per Basu's article) you learn that it is our scouts who like him, with Rockstrom at the helm, a man who literally hasn't drafted anyone during his tenure here.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I think you misunderstand the nature of people's complaint.

Toffoli is not a rental. A late 1st + B prospect is what you could have expected for him if he was. Calgary just bought a potential three playoff runs for the price of one.

This has nothing to do with rebuilding. When you rebuild, it doesn't mean you have to unload every veteran in one off-season and below their value. I'm not even going to mention the impact it's going to have on Suzuki.

This whole trade hinges on Heineman, because a late 1st for 3 years of Toffoli is a rubbish return. So, here's hoping the kid is going to be a good player for us. Hard to be optimistic, though, when (as per Basu's article) you learn that it is our scouts who like him, with Rockstrom at the helm, a man who literally hasn't drafted anyone during his tenure here.

You summed it up for me. A rebuild with no scoring, isn't helping this team at all. We finally found a player who wants to be here, and move him.. I don't think its a step forward at all

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

Let that sink in.
The NHL GMs might not care what happens with Anderson in 2-3 years time. They see a big body that skates like the wind and think he might just be the piece that puts them over the top while their contending window is open. They would pay for that.

Our management apparently likes Anderson, despite the fact he's not going to do anything for us in the next 2-3 years and is a prime candidate for an Andrew Ladd-type of cap liability later, because his combination of skating and frame is pretty much the only thing that makes him a good player. Instead, they decided that they need to trade Toffoli (a high IQ player, that has never relied on his athletic abilities) ASAP, for a price you would have expected to get for a rental.

We've got far from the whole picture, but from the information available I'm not sure I quite follow the logic here.

Reactions: Habs Icing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad