Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
The Leafs have been very patient with Lilly. A credit to them. I must admit I was wondering if the kid would make it. Last night showed patience pays off.

Reactions: Lumberg

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Brodie was flying last night. We are playing extremely well defensively. I don't know how much I like Hutton, but he hasn''t seen game action for a while.

Liljegren gives us yet another internal top player.

Reactions: Lumberg

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
I thought he played well last night! I still think he panics a bit when put under pressure but he could easily fill a bottom pairing role in the future.

It was nice seeing both Lily and Sandin on the ice at the same time though.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I thought he played well last night! I still think he panics a bit when put under pressure but he could easily fill a bottom pairing role in the future.

It was nice seeing both Lily and Sandin on the ice at the same time though.

you could tell the time and space dissappeared a couple times quicker than he was used to. He will get used to this in time.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I love that Liljegren and Sandin are so physical. I wonder if Muzzin gave a seminar on "How to knock a guy on his ass and take the puck"

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Taken from the PGT but I thought this write up was spot on from Ian Tulluch. Lily's physicality in the neutral zone stood out to me, and how much that negated the rush:

Timothy Liljegren (RD, #37) — That’s about as impressive as it gets in the neutral zone.
I counted three or four times where Liljegren decked an opposing forward before they could get to the red line, killing the rush and securing possession for his team. Now, his puck-moving wasn’t as dynamic as we’ve seen at the AHL level, although he did rip a few stretch passes, which is something he loves to do.
The bigger takeaway for me was just how physical Liljegren was at closing the gap in the neutral zone and separating Vancouver forwards from the puck. You’ll hear some polarizing opinions on Liljegren’s skating, but if I’m just evaluating this one game, he was damn-near perfect in transition defense.

It'll take some game action to get him used to the NHL pace but we saw flashes of his elusiveness and puck moving from the back end.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I loved his game last night. Was outright stopping rushes before they even entered the zone and no one was beating him wide and when they even got a step on him, he caught up or stripped the puck and had it going the other way instantly. I would imagine his puck moving (skating wise) will come with more confidence at this level, but I am already confident with him out there defensively.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
That doesn't make any sense. Their contracts will be expired when they are 34-35. Why are you trying to get rid of one of your best defenseman now, for something that isn't a problem, 4-5 years from now?

One or both could fall off as soon as next year and now it looks like the prospects are ready to take over. It's all but a guarantee at 34-35.

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
this is huge from a cap perspective if Liljegren and Sandin can contribute full time starting next season (Sandin even earlier). Definitely an extended competitive window as SC contenders with the room to re-sign Rielly and Hyman at market/reasonable value as well as other serviceable vets.

The key to all of this is replenishing the org with cheap, top-end talent while the Matthews-Marner-Nylander window remains open and the eventual decline of Tavares is done gracefully. At some point, they'll need to rely on ELC replenishment through non 1st rounders, so if 1-2 of the likes of Kral/Abramov/Abruzzesse/Robertson/Hirvonen/Ovchinnkov/Hallander/Scott/Woll (and future picks in 2021 onwards) can stick with the club each year, then I'm bullish on the Leafs for the next 5+ years for however long MMN stay here with above average goaltending.

Reactions: supermann_98

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
One or both could fall off as soon as next year and now it looks like the prospects are ready to take over. It's all but a guarantee at 34-35.

The only way TJ Brodie plays a single game at 34 is if the final season of his contract is delayed or we're in the cup final.

Muzzin turns 34 with a month and a bit of regular season left in year 3 of 4, and plays the majority of year 4 at 34.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
cCHAHT0wg1sotOV7wuTVQCJorcHB2MnElInARlbZ_lG4S5BQ29AQ61410VDzZBLI2D2FZwJIF6m9-MlnDs2BgDk17-COvJ3ap2UGnsz_5sYXnlXRXDT3JIRqL3_MXP8dJ864uYaoXgAbipMiHHhDLalfukVJXQEDd3E

I imagine this is Timmy to all his doubters right about now

Reactions: supermann_98

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Muzzin I think could be a concern but Brodie has a game that will typically age well.

He’s one of the best in the game at simple defense with positioning and active stick. Most of that is instinct and IQ that doesn’t typically fall off by mid thirties.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Pleasantly surprised with his progression, with the way how the TSN guys (Button, Hayes etc) I'd thought he'd be the next Tyler Biggs of defensemen.

Kid deserves a longer look, he is already more defensively sound than guys like Holl and Hutton.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
this is the best Leafs defense corps we've seen in 30 years, why would you want to start planning away the two biggest catalysts that have got us here?

They'll likely decline at some point towards the end of, or after, their existing contracts. In the meantime, do your best to develop replacements and enjoy what they're bringing to the table with the Leafs being a well better than average defensive team.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Muzzin is signed thru age 34.

Brodie is signed thru age 33.
Most defensive defenseman remain effective well into their mid-30's so I'm not worried about their play falling off a cliff. As a matter of fact when their contracts expire I'm sure th Habs will be interested in signing them as UFA's as Bergevin has a stiffy when it comes to signing older UFA defensive defenseman

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
With 6 games left, it wouldn't surprise me to see more regulars sitting down the stretch.

Ben Hutton has played 1 game in the Leafs system. Liljegren has played 15 games all year, only one of which was in the NHL. Sandin has played 7 games all year.

Use the opportunity to get Rielly/Muzzin/Brodie/Holl some rest and make sure they're fresh for the playoffs. I think its also a good opportunity to get Dermott, who hasn't been heavily relied on this season, into some more difficult situations.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Pleasantly surprised with his progression, with the way how the TSN guys (Button, Hayes etc) I'd thought he'd be the next Tyler Biggs of defensemen.

Kid deserves a longer look, he is already more defensively sound than guys like Holl and Hutton.
Its actually comical what their assessment's were of him. Hayes is one thing, he is a radio host. But Button is supposed to be a hockey mind. One that supposedly has a firm grasp on NHL prospects and draft eligible prospects. He clearly did not watch any Marlies games in the last couple years. It was very clear he was the best Marlie all year this year and it wasn't even particularly close

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Never thought I would say this but maybe you look at Brodie being exposed in the ED; he is 30 and signed for 4 more years. We would be a little worse next year, but it would free up cap space for Rielly, Hyman and a goalie.

Muzzin Holl
Rielly Liljegren
Sandin Bogosian

Not too comfortable having two 34-35 year olds (in a couple years) in our top 4 during our contention years and I would keep Muzzin over Brodie.

Is this some type of joke? Wtf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad