Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Sends a really bad message to signing free agents in the future.

Ive never seen an indication that this is true. It gets thrown around a lot, but IMO players believe they'll never be the guy that happens too.

Like, we were told the way Lou treated guys with Robidas Island would bite us, but theres nothing to indicate that has happened.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
There were 3 (misleading, superficial) reasons why he got slept on:

1. Being in the AHL at age 18, 2yrs early. This made people feel that he was "stuck" in the AHL at age 20, which is the earliest that chl players can even enter the ahl.

2. Being "passed" by Sandin on the depth chart. This overlooked that this was only because Sandin is awesome, not because Lilly isn't very good. And it overlooked that there were far more injuries on the left side of the leafs' D than the right side.

3. He did look genuinely in over his head in his first stint last year. That's never great to see, of course, but it's hardly a damning indictment of a 20yr old rook getting his first cup of coffee.

Basically all those reasons were flat out dumb, and paled beside the only 2 things that actually mattered:

1. His elite all around nhl skillset.

2. His fantastic performance relative to age and league at every level.
Very well said. Even on draft day it was well known that his draft year set-backs with mono would likely mean 3-4 years seasoning at lower levels. I'd say he is right on track. Seeing as though he has been ready for the NHL all year, that would have made him an NHL'er at the start of his D+4 year. Very happy with his progression thus far

Reactions: Auston Escobar

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Expose Holl this expansion draft, and run these 3 balanced lines:

Rielly-Dermott
Sandin-Brodie
Muzzin-Liljegren

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Lilly

The theme here would be Brodie > Dermott/Holl and Bogosian.

Personally I get that we struggled to puck-move on RD for years, but don't see this as a problem moving forward. I like that we can stay relatively young and tough by keeping 7 of this year's d-men as oppose to 6 of them...

Muzzin Holl
Rielly Liljegren
Sandin Bogosian
Dermott

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Personally I get that we struggled to puck-move on RD for years, but don't see this as a problem moving forward. I like that we can stay relatively young and tough by keeping 7 of this year's d-men as oppose to 6 of them...

Muzzin Holl
Rielly Liljegren
Sandin Bogosian
Dermott

I mean he's a fine #6 and all but I don't see any reason we need Bogo there when we can ice 6 top-4 caliber dmen instead.

Reactions: MR4

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Am I the only one who thought he look kinda shakey? I didn't think he had great poise with the puck and besides knocking a bunch of guys down he looks prone to bad penalties with a lot of bear hugging and holding.

I think he's a great depth option and definitely better than Ben Hutton but was far from impressive enough to put him in the line up on a regular basis (for now).

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

No, the "theme" (cold hard objective truth) is that Brodie is much better than Dermott/Holl, and that Bogosian is immaterial because we can sign him to be our 7 *without* letting our best all around defenseman go for nothing.

Reactions: MR4

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Nylander is our best right handed shooter, but yes if there was someone who could replace him and he was on the wrong side of 30, why not look at that?

We have top 6 defencemen for this year that put us #1 in the division, since then, not one but two top defence prospects look like they can now play in the top 6 moving forward.

Why not look at shedding one top 6 dman on the wrong side of 30?
Nylander is less important to the forward corps that Brodie & Muzzin are to the d corps, but it's a reasonable comparison.

You don't shed core players as a contender on a whim like this, you're taking the test early and the organization has been adamant that it doesn't want to do that from the beginning of the Shanahan era.

Last edited:
Reactions: WilliamInLondon

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Am I the only one who thought he look kinda shakey? I didn't think he had great poise with the puck and besides knocking a bunch of guys down he looks prone to bad penalties with a lot of bear hugging and holding.

I think he's a great depth option and definitely better than Ben Hutton but was far from impressive enough to put him in the line up on a regular basis (for now).
Well, he fell a couple of times, maybe bobbled the puck a couple of times, but I chalk that up to nerves. His gap in the neutral zone and choices when to pinch, his stick on breaking plays up, his stretch passes were very good. I don't give in to hyperbolic description much, so I would say it was a solid showing for a first game

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario

Pretty much the only one. In my particular case though, the tint may not be as dark as it was in my first few years of leaf obsession, but they are definitely white sunglasses with a blue tine, with leafnation on the side.

Hey, WHAT an idea, would probably sell like hot cakes.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well, he fell a couple of times, maybe bobbled the puck a couple of times, but I chalk that up to nerves. His gap in the neutral zone and choices when to pinch, his stick on breaking plays up, his stretch passes were very good. I don't give in to hyperbolic description much, so I would say it was a solid showing for a first game

Wait, are you saying you would trade him for Hughes? Come on now.

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
lol at the idea of giving up on Brodie and Muzzin - there's a reason why the Leafs are first in their division this season. Take one or both of these guys out and they're probably 2nd or 3rd in the Northern division.

I would be concerned if they were your #5 or 6 guys and taking up all that cap space, but they're only 31-32 and clear Top 4 talents. They may start to decay in their final years by 2023-2024, but they'd still be highly serviceable as your #5-6s on a SC contending team. If I were a betting man, based on how they play, Brodie likely stays in your Top 4 and Muzzin would be your #4-5 defenceman at worst. This would be offset by Sandin and Liljegren being better versions of themselves in 2 years time to close the gap, and a combo of Rielly/Holl/Dermott/FA and at least one decent upside ELC guy in Niemala/Kral/Hollowell as your #6.

I'm actually super optimistic on this team in the next 3-5 years. It feels weird, but it's ok to acknowledge this - I think Dubas has set this team up for long-term perennial success for as long as Matthews-Marner are here and there's enough cheap talent & min-signing prospects to offset future ballasts like Tavares/Brodie/Muzzin given that their likelihood to fall off a complete cliff is minimal

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Leaf fans have this insane need to throw away good players just because we have new good players.

Let's just forget about Bogosian and Dermott who have been solid ALL year for Liljegren who had a somewhat decent game vs a lottery team as the 6th defenceman.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
I was not impressed with Liljegren's performance last night. A few questionable moves by him, one almost resulted in a bad give away in front of Rittich. Pretty disappointing, considering he was drafted before Sandin.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I was not impressed with Liljegren's performance last night. A few questionable moves by him, one almost resulted in a bad give away in front of Rittich. Pretty disappointing, considering he was drafted before Sandin.
:propeller

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Leaf fans have this insane need to throw away good players just because we have new good players.

Oh man wait until Topi Nemiela is ready lol people will want to throw away more players. I for one think having many good players is always a positive.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I mean he's a fine #6 and all but I don't see any reason we need Bogo there when we can ice 6 top-4 caliber dmen instead.
That's the biggest thing with Bogosian. He's a fine NHL defensemen that can play regular minutes on most teams.

But we could potentially have an elite d-core by mid-season next year once Sandin and Liljegren get some games in and you have to at least give that an opportunity to unfold. If you need to upgrade next deadline, or Bogo wants to come back as depth that's fine, but he won't make or break this defense.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Weird that some here didn't like his game. His breakout passes after he settled in were good. Had a 72 xGF% and 65% corsi, super good gap control and he brought a lot of physicality. I think there's a future top pairing guy the moment he gets the confidence to carry the puck at this level and shoot more. He was a bit nervous but was either the second or third best dman on the team last night.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Weird that some here didn't like his game. His breakout passes after he settled in were good. Had a 75 xGF% and 65% corsi, super good gap control and he brought a lot of physicality. I think there's a future top pairing guy the moment he gets the confidence to carry the puck at this level and shoot more. He was a bit nervous but was either the second or third best dman on the team last night.

Yeah he seemed to fit an obvious niche of being the puck mover on a shutdown pair. He could use a bit more nastiness clearing the net but that's what pairing him with someone like Muzzin is for.

Taking away the neutral zone and buying time for the forwards to get back is an underrated defensive skillset. Holl does a good job of it but Liljegren can be better if he isn't already.

Reactions: Maplebeasts

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
He had a great first game.

Good gap control, physical, and decent passing.

The depth in the top 4 is going to make it a lot easier for Sandin & Liljegren to transition into quality defensemen. They can be slowly eased into the role rather than getting tossed into the fire.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad