Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
I saw what I wanted to see. Liljegren smoke people. And play real GUD.

Real gud pro there.

This team is going to be sick, when we stick in Foligno and Hyman.

You can see guys like Pierre getting the message.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
So happy seeing him in a game.
Physical, smart passes, good angles, trusted his skating.
You’d never guess this was TO’s 3-8 D.

Reactions: saffronleaf

michi510

Aug 31, 2011
Toronto
I keep saying it. I was delighted we got him at #17. For him to have been ranked top 2-3 pre-season in his draft year, there must be something scouts saw. If he ever lives up to that potential… imagine!

We’ll still be okay if he becomes a solid top 4, and along with Sandin will be great on our defence for many years.

He at least deserves to be given a fair chance to be a regular in the line up next season.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I keep saying it. I was delighted we got him at #17. For him to have been ranked top 2-3 pre-season in his draft year, there must be something scouts saw. If he ever lives up to that potential… imagine!

We’ll still be okay if he becomes a solid top 4, and along with Sandin will be great on our defence for many years.

He at least deserves to be given a fair chance to be a regular in the line up next season.

I don't think we'll ever see that top 2 ranked Lilly ever because that version of him was all offense all the time. He would rush the puck up solo and try to beat guys 3 on 1, 4 on 1, and even 5 on 1. This version is much more cautious offensively and he prioritizes his play in the defensive zone first. The one thing that he does possess and something that will help him and us greatly is the fact that he's an amazing passer. The kid can laser passes even while skating backward in his own zone, tape to tape. With Sandin's offensive IQ and willingness to jump into plays and take the calculated risks, I think he's going to end up being our more offensive 2 way D, while Lilly is going to be the more defensive 2 way D. I can see Sandin/ Brodie being a stellar pair with both guys playing a very similar style and having very high hockey IQ. Lilly is better suited as a shutdown pair with a guy like Muzz. I personally believe that he can fill the Holl slot better than Holl can. He's the type of stable/ reliable partner you want for Muzz. Our 3rd pairing needs some help in the future but if we manage to keep Dermott/ Holl or one of our other kids knocks out their development, we can have a fantastic 3rd pairing as well. Ideally, you want a guy with some size and physicality on the 3rd pairing mixed with a 2-way guy. Both Dermott/ Holl fit the bill for the 2 way types and we have prospects like Niemela who can fill in that hole in 2 years time.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
For next season, I would love to see the D-pairings of:

Muzzin - Lilly
Rielly - Holl
Sandin - Brodie

Give all the hard minutes to Sandin - Brodie and secondary dmatchups to Muzz - Lilly. Give Rielly - Holl offensive minutes and shelter them.

Reactions: uncleben

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I thought Lilly was great tonight. Sharp passes, good position, and I loved the way he stepped up and made contact on Boesers stick to wreck his shot late in the 3rd

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Solid game tonight, happy for him. Want to see more. Hope he pairs with Muzz on Sunday to get a chance to gain more confidence and have a shot at PKing.

It really is nice to see this team have a solid group of Dmen, and with some youth.

My way 'before it's time' prediction: Justin Holl will be the defenseman the Leafs dangle at the expansion draft.

Reactions: CelticDruid

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Never thought I would say this but maybe you look at Brodie being exposed in the ED; he is 30 and signed for 4 more years. We would be a little worse next year, but it would free up cap space for Rielly, Hyman and a goalie.

Muzzin Holl
Rielly Liljegren
Sandin Bogosian

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's like a RHD version of Rasmus Andersson. Not massive but very physical and very heads up. Very crisp with the puck.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Never thought I would say this but maybe you look at Brodie being exposed in the ED; he is 30 and signed for 4 more years. We would be a little worse next year, but it would free up cap space for Rielly, Hyman and a goalie.

Muzzin Holl
Rielly Liljegren
Sandin Bogosian
Not a chance and bad idea. You look at a lot of things before even looking at Brodie. I'm also not in favor of resigning Rielly.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016

Muzzin Holl
Rielly Liljegren
Sandin Bogosian

Ugh, no. Brodie has been our 1st or 2nd best defenseman all season and you want him gone after year 1?

The increase in salary for Hyman and a second goalie are already covered by the 5M extra when Anderson leaves. The big question is the year after and Reilly's contract. If he wants a huge raise he is gone. Even at 6-7M I think we may consider our cheaper internal options to take over his D1 and PP1 duties.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
He's like a RHD version of Rasmus Andersson. Not massive but very physical and very heads up. Very crisp with the puck.
Rasmus is a RHD.
With that said, I’d be perfectly satisfied with an Andersson clone. I think Lilly has the tools to be a solid top 4 guy with an edge

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Not a chance and bad idea. You look at a lot of things before even looking at Brodie. I'm also not in favor of resigning Rielly.

Ugh, no. Brodie has been our 1st or 2nd best defenseman all season and you want him gone after year 1?

The increase in salary for Hyman and a second goalie are already covered by the 5M extra when Anderson leaves. The big question is the year after and Reilly's contract. If he wants a huge raise he is gone. Even at 6-7M I think we may consider our cheaper internal options to take over his D1 and PP1 duties.

Not too comfortable having two 34-35 year olds (in a couple years) in our top 4 during our contention years and I would keep Muzzin over Brodie.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I like his skating and his defending, i even like his passing ability but it seems like he has trouble handling the puck at times, bobbles it and makes some errors with it. If he can clean that up he should be solid, similar player to Dermott.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015

Muzzin Holl
Rielly Liljegren
Sandin Bogosian
Brodie has been better than Muzzin so no thank you on that front.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Not too comfortable having two 34-35 year olds (in a couple years) in our top 4 during our contention years and I would keep Muzzin over Brodie.

That doesn't make any sense. Their contracts will be expired when they are 34-35. Why are you trying to get rid of one of your best defenseman now, for something that isn't a problem, 4-5 years from now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->