Thoughts on the rebuild? PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
With both the long term extensions of White and now Chabot; Dorion and Melnyk are at least showing that they are sticking to their commitment to keeping the core together. While they still have a LONG ways to go with building back trust, this is certainly a step in right direction.

The only deal I really regret from this past trade deadline is Stone. I do not believe that he was not too old for the core and would have made for a solid leader here. I'll always have a soft spot for Stone (his emotion when the team scored a goal was infectious), however if Brannstrom can develop in to a top pairing defenseman that will definitely soften the blow.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
With both the long term extensions of White and now Chabot; Dorion and Melnyk are at least showing that they are sticking to their commitment to keeping the core together. While they still have a LONG ways to go with building back trust, this is certainly a step in right direction.

The only deal I really regret from this past trade deadline is Stone. I do not believe that he was not too old for the core and would have made for a solid leader here. I'll always have a soft spot for Stone (his emotion when the team scored a goal was infectious), however if Brannstrom can develop in to a top pairing defenseman that will definitely soften the blow.

Absolutely agree with hanging on to Stone. This team should have bent over to keep him . He would mean so much to the young group of players. I do not think Brannstrom was enough of a return. I can't see him having close to the impact on this team over the next 5 years that Stone would have.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Stone is gone, it is what it is. There’s nothing left there but the crying, and the moving on.

We have plenty of young talent and character, and some quality character vets to guide them.

Now at least Brady will have something to prove every time we play Vegas!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Logan Brown is such a huge piece of the rebuild. If he could get to a Turris level - just a solid C who is a bit light but can skate the puck into attack position and make some passes, it would be massive for the rebuild.

If Brown can’t be a top 6, you think about moving him. Brown alone doesn’t get you much in a trade, but Brown + SJ 1st round is the start of a very solid package,

Ott: Matthew Tkachuk
Cal: L. Brown, SJ 1st, Brannstrom

Ott: Kyle Connor
Win: Logan Brown, SJ 1st

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Signing Chabot and White helps satisfy the obligation to meet the cap floor starting next season. They still have only 41M committed.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Logan Brown is such a huge piece of the rebuild. If he could get to a Turris level - just a solid C who is a bit light but can skate the puck into attack position and make some passes, it would be massive for the rebuild.

If Brown can’t be a top 6, you think about moving him. Brown alone doesn’t get you much in a trade, but Brown + SJ 1st round is the start of a very solid package,

that is quiiiite the package for tkatchuk

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Looks like Ottawa has the depth taken care of but still is well short on the top end talent, i see several massive roster holes right now in both forward and defense, hopefully they get lucky and get a few top end picks over the next few years that pan out, my main concern right now is that I'm struggling to find examples of any remotely successful professional sports rebuild occurring with little to no financial support. Looking at all recent examples within the NHL at least, the owners of each successful rebuild invested massive amounts of initial and then supplemental funding with multi faceted elaborate planned approaches specifically to rebuild and often rebrand, mostly to see the investment returned later on, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Tampa, Rangers, Hurricanes and the Sabres all recently have had massive overhauls initiated mostly and continually supplemented by large $...the plan here is to seemingly try and do the same except with basically zero initial additional investment nor anything in the future.

Arizona seems to be the only reasonable comparable and we've seen how thats gone to date.

Reactions: Cosmix and Icelevel

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Neither of those trades are enough. Logan brown and brannstrom could both amount to nothing. They have little value relative to Connor or tkachuk

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I absolutely, 100% agree, that this rebuild was completely unnecessary considering the ages of the players we traded away to "rebuild". The timing appears fishy considering Melnyk's current financial reputation, which begs the question, did we rebuild because we needed to or because we could not afford to pay for a line up that included the likes of Stone, Duchene, Karlsson, Dzingel and Hoffman?

Add Chabot and Tkachuk and you have a pretty solid core in their prime ready to compete for the cup.

Reactions: Cosmix

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Not that we’re not beating a dead horse but will never understand why 23 y/o Zibanejad was traded in the first place. What’s 5-6 M$ in the NHL? The salary of a good young player on his RFA years. Want to add a veteran like Brassard? Find another price to pay or wait it out; go for Duchene only when the time is right

Tkachuk-Zibanejad-Stone (would probably be one of the best lines in the NHL)
Dzingel-Duchene-Batherson
Formenton-White/L.Brown-Ryan
C.Brown-Pageau-Ennis

Chabot-Karlsson-Wolanin-Jaros-Zaitsev-Lajoie, D-man for Hoffman.

Ceci : traded for Zaitsev and Brown

Hoffman : just trade him for picks if the situation with EK can’t be resolved or a veteran D-man ala Methot

We could really have had that much talent. Pretty sure it would be much easier for the young players to break into the league with players like Stone around them

Overreaction to a season (2017-18) that went wrong or just a perfect excuse to rebuild? Did we just rebuild because there was a war between the Karlssons and Hoffmans? lol

Usually teams rebuild when their core gets old or they don’t have enough talent. I’m Ottawa’s case it was a financial rebuild, and basically are wasting 5 years as a result

Beautiful post.

God IS real.

Reactions: Cosmix

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If anyone is curious how long this rebuild may last based on previous full-scale, blow-it-up rebuilds, I've compiled a list and sorted the teams by the length it took them to make it back to the post-season, and I've listed their picks during the rebuilding phase.

Oilers - 11YRs to get back to the playoffs
2007 (6th): Gagner
2008 (12th): Went to Ducks in Penner offersheet
2009 (10th): Paajarvi
2010 (1st): Hall
2011 (1st): Nugent-Hopkins
2012 (1st): Yakupov
2013 (7th): Nurse
2014 (3rd): Draisaitl
2015 (1st): McDavid
2016 (4th): Puljujarvi

Leafs - 10YRs to get back to playoffs (excluding 2013 shortened season)
2006 (13th): Tlusty
2007 (13th): Traded to Sharks for Toskala
2008 (5th): Schenn
2009 (7th): Kadri
2010 (2nd): Traded to Bruins for Kessel
2011 (8th): Traded to Bruins for Kessel
2012 (5th): Rielly
2014 (8th): Nylander
2015 (4th): Marner
2016 (1st): Matthews

Sabres - 8YRs to get back to the playoffs
2012 (12th): Grigorenko
2013 (8th): Ristolainen
2014 (2nd): Reinhart
2015 (2nd): Eichel
2016 (8th): Nylander
2017 (8th): Mittelstadt
2018 (1st): Dahlin
2019 (7th): Cozens

Kings - 7YRs to make it back to the playoffs
2003 (13th): Brown
2004 (11th): Tukonen
2005 (11th*): Kopitar
2006 (11th): Bernier
2007 (4th): Hickey
2008 (2nd): Doughty
2009 (5th): Schenn

Islanders - 6YRs to make it back to the playoffs (again, excluding 2013)
2008 (9th): Bailey
2009 (1st): Tavares
2010 (5th): Niederreiter
2011 (5th): Strome
2012 (4th): Reinhart
2014 (5th): Dal Colle

Blackhawks - 5YRs to make it back to the playoffs
2003 (14th): Seabrook
2004 (3rd): Barker
2005 (7th*): Skille
2006 (3rd): Toews
2007 (1st): Kane
2008: (11th): Beach

Pittsburgh - 4YRs to make it back to the playoffs
2002 (5th): Whitney
2003 (1st): Fleury
2004 (2nd): Malkin
2005 (1st*): Crosby
2006 (2nd): Staal

Capitals - 4YRs to make it back to the playoffs
2004 (1st): Ovechkin
2005 (14th*): Pokulok
2006 (4th): Backstrom
2007 (5th): Alzner

Lightning - 3YRs to make it back to the playoffs
2008 (1st): Stamkos
2009 (2nd): Hedman
2010 (6th): Connolly

*lock-out year

Then there are teams like the Panthers, Coyotes and Blue Jackets that have been rebuilding for most of their existence, which I didn't include.

My take from this is that if we can manage to get a couple high-end talents over the next 2-3 drafts, we should be well on our way to contending and won't get stuck rebuilding for a decade like the Oilers, Leafs or Sabres. We need to draft a couple future star players like Stamkos+Hedman, Toews+Kane, or Kopitar+Doughty to turn this ship around and quick.

Issue we have that the above teams didn't have is the lottery now not doesn't guarantee a top 3 selection even if we finished last. Our rebuild could be extended if the lottery balls don't bounce the right way. Could also happen if we draft a bust or two, and unfortunately that's proven to be far more likely outside of the top 3 picks than inside of it.

We're already in year 3 of the rebuild, having finished bottom 2 in 2017/18 and 2018/19, but unfortunately we only Tkachuk to show for it after losing the lottery in 2018 and Dorion throwing away our 2019 1st in the disastrous Duchene deal. Getting Lafreniere/Byfield this year would be huge in turning this franchise around.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
This is not a rebuilding for Leafs. No one trades the first rounds of draft during the rebuilding.

Was more of an unintentional rebuild, just like the Sens after dealing their 1st in the Duchene trade and then finishing 30th.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I wonder when the "we are going to surprise some people" starts.
They’re definitely surprising me with how utterly bad they are. I was expecting some youthful enthusiasm to at least make the games entertaining (Although understandably mistake filled). But most of the kids aren’t even on the roster and the vets would struggle to be on any other NHL roster.

Reactions: Daffy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I mean Brown is only 25, Saboruin is 27 and Ennis just turned 30 this week, so who's to say they are finished developing?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I bet you he would put up similar numbers to Namestnikov with the Sens, if he got the same opportunities and ice time.

I think the way they handled him was ridiculous. He never really got a chance and he certainly made the most of the minuscule one he had. Just have to shake your head at some of the decisions this team makes.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So far this rebuild has obtained a 1LW(Chucky), 1LD(Chabot), 2RW(Batherson) 2C(White) and a 2LD(Brannstrom). Still need to find a 1C, 1RW, 2LW, 1RD, 1G

All of that is going to take some time to acquire, assuming Batherson, White, and Brannstrom prove to be top 6 material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad