Thoughts on the rebuild? PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Even Tkachuk is in a grey area. They were getting a high pick that year whether they chose to rebuild or not.
Yup, Tkachuk was in the “go for it” year. That’s why Byram isn’t on that list too

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
At this point proper development is the only concern. PD wants to say all the things EM needs to hear so he gets a extension.

A real rebuild takes more then 3 years, specially when you read it down to bottom like we have done.

I hope for a very rough this year and good player development, next year more competitive and contend for a wild card spot potentially. The year after development should have taken place and we should be battling for a playoff spot.

This year is just about having fun watching young players play and grow, the score of the game and wins are meaningless.

I have drank the EM /PD Koolaid but you have no choice after last seasons disasters.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I really don’t put any value in the words “contend for a playoff spot”. Every team in the league will contend for a spot at some point in the season. It is a frivolous statement to make.

We were in contention the last two falls for a playoff spot.

I interpret the statement to mean that he expects the Senators to be in contention for a playoff spot throughout the year and have about a 50% chance of being in the playoffs (I.e., bubble team).

I think he is saying that to appease Melnyk who wants the higher revenues from such a team plus potential playoff revenues. I expect the team to finish in the bottom 5 teams in the league with a high probability of being last.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You never know in sports but every indication seems to point to Ottawa having a crappy season next yr & that's a good thing in the sense that it could place Ottawa in a very good position to win or at the least acquire a very good draft spot for the 2020 draft. I also think that they will keep a few guys on the roster this yr that normally would not be on the roster to increase their value leading up to the trade deadline with the hope they get some decent assets back for them.

Hopefully, they will be able to get rid of most of their UFAs for some good prospects/draft picks to add to their stock pile of assets. Nothing can be done about the rebuild now that's it's underway except hope that a number of the prospects they have turn into very good players. I expect that Ottawa has at least a dozen very good prospects who could turn out to be very good NHL players.

Here are a list of Ottawa's NHL UFAs available to be traded this yr:

Pageau C - 2nd or 3rd rd draft pick
Anderson G - 2nd or 3rd rd pick
DeMello RD - 3rd or 4th rd pick
Ennis LW - 3rd or 4th rd pick
Boroweicki LD - 3rd or 4th rd pick
Hainsley - 4th or 5th rd pick
Boedker LW - 6th or 7th rd pick

Reactions: Juvenators

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You never know in sports but every indication seems to point to Ottawa having a crappy season next yr & that's a good thing in the sense that it could place Ottawa in a very good position to win or at the least acquire a very good draft spot for the 2020 draft. I also think that they will keep a few guys on the roster this yr that normally would not be on the roster to increase their value leading up to the trade deadline with the hope they get some decent assets back for them.

Hopefully, they will be able to get rid of most of their UFAs for some good prospects/draft picks to add to their stock pile of assets. Nothing can be done about the rebuild now that's it's underway except hope that a number of the prospects they have turn into very good players. I expect that Ottawa has at least a dozen very good prospects who could turn out to be very good NHL players.

Here are a list of Ottawa's NHL UFAs available to be traded this yr:

Pageau C - 2nd or 3rd rd draft pick
Anderson G - 2nd or 3rd rd pick
DeMello RD - 3rd or 4th rd pick
Ennis LW - 3rd or 4th rd pick
Boroweicki LD - 3rd or 4th rd pick
Hainsley - 4th or 5th rd pick
Boedker LW - 6th or 7th rd pick

I don't think they will all be traded. I don't think we get that for Anderson or Boedker or Borowiecki or Ennis. If Demelo has another good year .. maybe..teams could have had him for free not too long ago

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't think they will all be traded. I don't think we get that for Anderson or Boedker or Borowiecki or Ennis. If Demelo has another good year .. maybe..teams could have had him for free not too long ago
Agreed, I doubt anyone wants Boedker even at the deadline & I'm also not sure about Ennis but Boro could help a team with toughness. Hainsey could help a young team as could Anderson including if a team loses their starter & have no faith in their backup. DeMello is still a serviceable RD which teams can always use & Pageau is still a good defensive forward with a little offence & is very good in the faceoff circle. But what they get in return is anyone's guess, but something is better than losing them for nothing, even a 7th rd pick can make something of himself in today's NHL, you just never know.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Agreed, I doubt anyone wants Boedker even at the deadline & I'm also not sure about Ennis but Boro could help a team with toughness. Hainsey could help a young team as could Anderson including if a team loses their starter & have no faith in their backup. DeMello is still a serviceable RD which teams can always use & Pageau is still a good defensive forward with a little offence & is very good in the faceoff circle. But what they get in return is anyone's guess, but something is better than losing them for nothing, even a 7th rd pick can make something of himself in today's NHL, you just never know.
Agree that is possible that some of them get traded I think the returns are a little hopeful on the players I mentioned. Certainly Hainsey should bring back a 4th or a 5th. Boro.. would have to go to some team in trouble that values that style of player to get a 3rd or a 4th imo. But many could be gone .. I think Ottawa should try to move on from a few of them. I'd hang on to Pageau at the right price. I think its too bad he was injured last year. He is a Senator and he wants to be one which is kind of cool these days :laugh:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Agree that is possible that some of them get traded I think the returns are a little hopeful on the players I mentioned. Certainly Hainsey should bring back a 4th or a 5th. Boro.. would have to go to some team in trouble that values that style of player to get a 3rd or a 4th imo. But many could be gone .. I think Ottawa should try to move on from a few of them. I'd hang on to Pageau at the right price. I think its too bad he was injured last year. He is a Senator and he wants to be one which is kind of cool these days :laugh:

All good points but on Pageau & I like him too but is there room at centre? I assume that Brown, White & Norris are locks to be future centres on this team & then there is the possibility that they add another good centre in one of the next couple of drafts. I think L. Brown will be on this team at some point next season likely after the trade deadline & Norris at some point the yr after, if not next yr. That doesn't mean there isn't room for Pageau but he could be the one of that group of UFAs that returns the most & that might be difficult for PD to resist although there could be a lot of blow back for moving the local kid people here absolutely love. I wouldn't be against them re-signing him either for a couple of yrs until those other guys come up to speed but would Pageau want that for his career rather than move on to a potential contender? We'll see. Enjoy your evening.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
All good points but on Pageau & I like him too but is there room at centre? I assume that Brown, White & Norris are locks to be future centres on this team & then there is the possibility that they add another good centre in one of the next couple of drafts. I think L. Brown will be on this team at some point next season likely after the trade deadline & Norris at some point the yr after, if not next yr. That doesn't mean there isn't room for Pageau but he could be the one of that group of UFAs that returns the most & that might be difficult for PD to resist although there could be a lot of blow back for moving the local kid people here absolutely love. I wouldn't be against them re-signing him either for a couple of yrs until those other guys come up to speed but would Pageau want that for his career rather than move on to a potential contender? We'll see. Enjoy your evening.
I think if that becomes a problem he moves to the wing. White could move to the wing as could Norris. I suppose Brown could as well although he's be the guy I'd want to keep at C for sure. I would base it on performance. If Pageau is the best 3C .. that's where he should play. If its 4C .. that's where he should play. I just think we need some vets and vets that have been lifetime Sens are better than bringing in a new guy into the room to have that presence. I think Pageau could be that guy to stick around and do what he can to help the team.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I think people don t realize that we have to keep a couple of your ufa to gain the floor next year. I keep Pageau , Demelo, Duclair and one of Ennis or Hainsey

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Can always deal them for assets and dip in to ufa to hit the floor too.

Honestly, if/when we're out of it at the deadline it would be interesting to move our UFA's and circle back on them in the off-season. This isn't like moving a Stone or Karlsson (where the 8th year comes into affect).

Trading Pageau for a Dzingel type return and then signing him in the off-season seems like it could be a win-win situation.

Reactions: aragorn

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Honestly, if/when we're out of it at the deadline it would be interesting to move our UFA's and circle back on them in the off-season. This isn't like moving a Stone or Karlsson (where the 8th year comes into affect).

Trading Pageau for a Dzingel type return and then signing him in the off-season seems like it could be a win-win situation.
They shiuld without question be considering options like that. Leverage everything you can for assets, no reason not to.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011

Except as soon as any of those players get a taste of what it’s like to play for an NHL team, why would any of them willingly return to the Sens?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Except as soon as any of those players get a taste of what it’s like to play for an NHL team, why would any of them willingly return to the Sens?

They may not, but none of them are difference makers. I wouldn't condone using this strategy with star players (or even core players) but if guys like Pageau and Demelo find out the grass is greener and don't want to return it's not sweat to the team who can throw money at a different UFA or bring one of the kids along (or just hold on to a guy like Tierney instead of shipping him off as well).

I think in some cases it would be worth the risk, these two seem like prime examples.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
we need alexis or byfield before this rebuild truly begins...
Not sure about that. If that did happen then it would be the end of the rebuild though not beginning.
We can only cross our fingers. I’m not a fan of not trying your best every year to win as many games as possible and letting the cards fall.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Would have been fantastic to start a rebuild with an early 1st in 2019. Its a much better feeling knowing we will have an early 1st this year.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I'd rather see Boro become an actual Cop than to don another teams sweater. The guy is Ottawa through and through, should be the Captain for now until Chabot is ready for leadership.

If solely off ice leadership was all that mattered for NHL captaincy, id agree with you whole heartedly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad