Thoughts on the rebuild? PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
There’s a lot of freaking out going on in here 3 games in to the season. I’m not sure folks are going to make it to the end at this rate!

Perhaps Mann felt that D could benefit from watching a game from on high, or perhaps he’s banged up a little, or perhaps the coaching staff in Belleville has gone crazy. I’m going to try and be open to any eventuality, but I honestly think we need a bit more information here before we can form any conclusions worth getting emotional over.

Mann did a great job last year with the kids, and Smith is known to be great with young players. I’m thinking that there are some reasonings behind these moves that would probably make sense, if still disagreeable to some, unfortunately we’ll probably never know.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
How about icetime?

They should be trying to get another good D for a forward. They just sent Sturtz to the ECHL.

So glad Szwarz, Carcone and Rodewald are getting top 9 minutes while Davidsson, Veronneau and Kelly sit on their ass in the press box.

Only a matter of time before Formenton and Norris take their turn on the bench I'm sure.

Laughable prospect development.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Why on earth did we trade Ebert in the Namestnikov deal instead of one of the AHL forwards?

We have 3-4 too many AHL forwards currently, and that Belleville defense looks bad.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This is a guy who was the last cut from Columbus's main camp last year. Last cut. Literally one player away from making an NHL team. And then after that, he puts up 0.65ppg in one of the best pro leagues in Europe.

This is a guy who can't crack even the FOURTH LINE IN THE AHL? I don't buy it. Like, not even a little bit. Not at all. I'm sorry, but no.

Maybe he's hurt, but that's literally the only excuse I can think of that isn't dropping the ball 100% with this kid. And if he is hurt, they would say that he was hurt, not that they were making him a HEALTHY scratch.

It's honestly kind of inexcusable.

Well I can think of a few reasons ... but I'm actually more concerned why Veronneau didn't make it either but ....
- maybe he's not hungry enough & is not working hard enough to satisfy the coaching staff in Belleville.
- maybe he has a problem with the language & isn't understanding what he should do, where he should be or doesn't understand the systems.
- maybe he's all offence & no defence & is piss poor defensively.
- maybe he isn't fully recovered from his off season surgery & is avoiding contact.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is a guy who was the last cut from Columbus's main camp last year. Last cut. Literally one player away from making an NHL team. And then after that, he puts up 0.65ppg in one of the best pro leagues in Europe.

This is a guy who can't crack even the FOURTH LINE IN THE AHL? I don't buy it. Like, not even a little bit. Not at all. I'm sorry, but no.

Maybe he's hurt, but that's literally the only excuse I can think of that isn't dropping the ball 100% with this kid. And if he is hurt, they would say that he was hurt, not that they were making him a HEALTHY scratch.

It's honestly kind of inexcusable.
Bang on. Kid should not be a "healthy scratch" neither should Veronneau. I do not blame Mann. I am certain it's not his decision alone and I think its the wrong message to send to the kids playing in the SHL or the NCAA from the Ottawa Senators. The messages these kids must have heard between signing and now have to be drastically different.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Well I can think of a few reasons ... but I'm actually more concerned why Veronneau didn't make it either but ....
- maybe he's not hungry enough & is not working hard enough to satisfy the coaching staff in Belleville.
- maybe he has a problem with the language & isn't understanding what he should do, where he should be or doesn't understand the systems.
- maybe he's all offence & no defence & is piss poor defensively.
- maybe he isn't fully recovered from his off season surgery & is avoiding contact.

Maybe he isnt good enough to bump anyone else.

Its pro sports and 99.9% don't make it.

Reactions: aragorn

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Any chance we have so many AHL forwards because more kids were projected to make the NHL team? Now they are being kept to fill in when the kids go up for TDL deals. They can also be placeholders until the kids come back for the playoffs.

Reactions: aragorn

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Hopefully the rebuild starts soon, sucks to watch the team and management staff go through the motions towards the main and only goal of extracting as much money as possible out of what's left from the fanbase whilst providing as little value as possible! Cant wait for this charade to be over and get back to being a proud fan again and feeling like were included in the league as Sens fans!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Can you image Turris long term here with the state his game is in, 4th Line wing in Nashville

I still think PD overpaid for Duchene and his thinking Ottawa was a legit playoff team was wrong - but moving on from Turris was 100% the right move

Reactions: Matsens15

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Can you image Turris long term here with the state his game is in, 4th Line wing in Nashville

I still think PD overpaid for Duchene and his thinking Ottawa was a legit playoff team was wrong - but moving on from Turris was 100% the right move

It definitely was 100% the right move. What happened in the following 8 months with a goaltending collapse, EK having an off year, the GF/wife internet feud, it was all pretty bizarre and pretty predictable.

I said at the time that Duchene was a significant upgrade on Turris and that turned out to be quite true. Were we a cup contender? No. But to me there was every reason to think we were a playoff team. Get to the TDL and add a few pieces.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
It definitely was 100% the right move. What happened in the following 8 months with a goaltending collapse, EK having an off year, the GF/wife internet feud, it was all pretty bizarre and pretty predictable.

I said at the time that Duchene was a significant upgrade on Turris and that turned out to be quite true. Were we a cup contender? No. But to me there was every reason to think we were a playoff team. Get to the TDL and add a few pieces.

The underlying metrics were actually ugly and you lost Methot and knew EK would be starting the year on the IR so wishful to think we were a playoff team, bubble team yes but to go full PD and say we were contenders was Pie on the Sky.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
With proper funding it would work...Nothing says we building up into a cup champ than trading for a mediocre defender with 5 years left of term ....Because of cost certainty???

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The underlying metrics were actually ugly and you lost Methot and knew EK would be starting the year on the IR so wishful to think we were a playoff team, bubble team yes but to go full PD and say we were contenders was Pie on the Sky.

Ya we lost Methot. What also hurt was losing MacArthur on the edge of camp. We were off to an ok start and I dont have any issue with a thought process at the time that we could make the playoffs

Side note on Methot...sometimes in this board's haste to bury PD for everything, the takes get pretty comical. There was a fair bit of Methot being the best player chosen, we got screwed more than any other team etc. Looking back, those were kind of funny takes.

Reactions: Tuna99

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ya we lost Methot. What also hurt was losing MacArthur on the edge of camp. We were off to an ok start and I dont have any issue with a thought process at the time that we could make the playoffs

Side note on Methot...sometimes in this board's haste to bury PD for everything, the takes get pretty comical. There was a fair bit of Methot being the best player chosen, we got screwed more than any other team etc. Looking back, those were kind of funny takes.

Methot was great but the injury got to him. Have to give PD credit, he hasn’t been caught with any bad contracts yet and got rid of Phaneuf. So he’s cleared the deck, questions is can he reload it.

To see how good Stone is and Bransstrom looks like a quality Dman but he doesn’t look like the best Dman prospect in hockey.

Reactions: topshelf15

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
With proper funding it would work...Nothing says we building up into a cup champ than trading for a mediocre defender with 5 years left of term ....Because of cost certainty???

Zero teams are full of star players, a proven NHL player on a decent contract that will agree to spend 5 years in ottawa is not a bad thing. Unless they want to spend 12 years drafting the players need to come from somewhere

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Turris got injured last year... he looks to be back at his precious level
He's still playing on the 4th line, not sure you can say he's back to his previous level, though he has put up similar pts in a small sample.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
He's still playing on the 4th line, not sure you can say he's back to his previous level, though he has put up similar pts in a small sample.

Your not watching then... my eyes tell me he looks good and when I read the Preds board the fans express the same thing

He’s being used as the 3C without any PP time at the moment... the other day he finally got some second unit time

Just because the Preds have depth at center and Turris is playing with garbage wingers does not mean he’s sucking

Preds have a very nice luxury at the moment with the way Turris is playing... better play is get a winger and Preds be rolling depth

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Zero teams are full of star players, a proven NHL player on a decent contract that will agree to spend 5 years in ottawa is not a bad thing. Unless they want to spend 12 years drafting the players need to come from somewhere
If the goal was to rebuild from ground zero,what purpose does a players like Zaitsev serve???Cost certainty ???Lol

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Of course. Always said he was too weak physically to be our #1 center. He does have 5 points in 7 games so far though.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Of course. Always said he was too weak physically to be our #1 center. He does have 5 points in 7 games so far though.

His 3 assists / 0 goals in the 13 playoff games when they were going for it and last year, this year playing 10-13 minutes. I like Kyle Turris but 5 more years at $6 million is tough to swallow. He’s on the trade block. He’s not meeting expectations especially when you see what Nashville gave up for him - Samy Girard had more points then Turris last year

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
My thought on the rebuild: I wish this team took more high risk/high reward players with late 1sts and early 2nds.

I’m sure Shane Pinto will do great at UND this year, but Arthur Kaliyev scored 50 in his draft year, and currently has 13g11a in 11 games. Of course it’s super early too tell yet, but the ceilings of guys like Kaliyev, Brink and Lavoie all seem higher

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Your not watching then... my eyes tell me he looks good and when I read the Preds board the fans express the same thing

He’s being used as the 3C without any PP time at the moment... the other day he finally got some second unit time

Just because the Preds have depth at center and Turris is playing with garbage wingers does not mean he’s sucking

Preds have a very nice luxury at the moment with the way Turris is playing... better play is get a winger and Preds be rolling depth
He has gotten pp time in every game this season and is averaging over 2 mins a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->