Thoughts on the rebuild? PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Right! This is something straight out of old satire. The whole situation with the organization is wild enough, but the reaction of a lot of the fans just adds layers to the comedy. It's almost like the two sides (ownership and fanbase) are trying to one-up eachother with how absurd they can be.

Indeed.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Eh, I don't think Kelly or the org lied or anything on this one... he didn't need to lie in order to leave, he wasn't under contract or anything. I think he was telling the truth about the family thing, and then the Bruins just sweet-talked him into coming over to their org.

Just a gut call on my part, I guess. It just seems over the top, even for our dilapidated broken home of an organization, that Kelly would need to lie about anything to leave, or that we were covering anything up. He could have just left. He's not REALLY a key part of the org, either for us or the Bruins. It's not like he's some irreplaceable cog. He's just not important enough for the org or himself to need "spin" on why he left.

I'll hold this organization's feet to the fire on a lot of stuff, but this one seems like a stretch. Kelly went to a better org, probably for more pay, where he'll probably be given more support to do his job. Seems like a no-brained to me. I'm happy for the guy, he deserves some stability in his life.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm not really a big Garrioch fan. I don't think the man can put down a coherent thought in writing.

I don't know the inside details about what happened with Kelly other than we know Smith wanted experience on his bench and Kelly didn't have that.

I can't link the article from my phone but there's an ottawa sun article dated June 14 in which Kelly is quoted as saying family 7 times so I wouldn't put it on either Garrioch or the team.

So he's out of hockey. Contemplating his future. A month goes by. The phone rings. He's back in.

Imo it's not hard to understand and it's not always the team's fault. Look at MacA being at dev camp. He said being retired isn't easy. He was there because he wanted something to do and was qualified to do it.

Sitting around counting your money sounds easy to do. For a lot of people it isn't.

Him going to Boston doesn't make it Dorion's fault
Yeah I understand that. I was discussing the June 28th Garrioch message where he states Kelly is leaving the team to spend more time with family, then 2 weeks later signs to be in Boston.

It wasn’t because of family, it was either Kelly was leaving due to a difference of opinion on his role, or rather the role he wanted, or he had another option he was choosing. I don’t know, and am not pretending to know which it is, but I don’t for a second believe that he left a team because of him wanting to spend more time with his family only to take a similar/same job in Boston that is further away from his family.

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yeah I understand that. I was discussing the June 28th Garrioch message where he states Kelly is leaving the team to spend more time with family, then 2 weeks later signs to be in Boston.

It wasn’t because of family, it was either Kelly was leaving due to a difference of opinion on his role, or rather the role he wanted, or he had another option he was choosing. I don’t know, and am not pretending to know which it is, but I don’t for a second believe that he left a team because of him wanting to spend more time with his family only to take a similar/same job in Boston that is further away from his family.

I doubt at the time he left because he had another option. For starters if that is the case it is easy to say so but also there's the 3 week gap between him leaving and the Boston announcement

It seems clear that there was no role on the coaching staff for him.

I just don't see any cause to blame the Senators for anything here.

Reactions: Samsquanch

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I doubt at the time he left because he had another option. For starters if that is the case it is easy to say so but also there's the 3 week gap between him leaving and the Boston announcement

It seems clear that there was no role on the coaching staff for him.

I just don't see any cause to blame the Senators for anything here.
I’m not blaming the Senators for anything, I’m saying that the reason for his departure is not what was stated by Garrioch/Sens, in my opinion, based on what we know happened.

Reactions: Cosmix

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I’m not blaming the Senators for anything, I’m saying that the reason for his departure is not what was stated by Garrioch/Sens, in my opinion, based on what we know happened.

May 23rd article from the Mouthpiece

One of the first priorities for Smith is to assemble a staff. Goalie coach Pierre Groulx met with Smith Thursday and is expected to sign a three-year extension. Chris Kelly will likely interview for an assistant’s job, but will be moved back into player development until a decision is made while Rob Cookson, Martin Raymond and video coach Kris Young likely won’t return.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
May 23rd article from the Mouthpiece

One of the first priorities for Smith is to assemble a staff. Goalie coach Pierre Groulx met with Smith Thursday and is expected to sign a three-year extension. Chris Kelly will likely interview for an assistant’s job, but will be moved back into player development until a decision is made while Rob Cookson, Martin Raymond and video coach Kris Young likely won’t return.
What does that have to do with him leaving due to wanting to spend time with family as was stated?

He likely left because he wanted a coaching position here, and given the option of same player development role he took the higher paying job in the better organization. Leaving for family reasons was just a way of him leaving that throws no fault on player or team.

That’s the best case scenario in regards to optics. (I’m not considering him actually turning down a job because of wanting to spend time with his family then changing his mind while moving to a different city less than 3 weeks later a real likelihood).

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
What does that have to do with him leaving due to wanting to spend time with family as was stated?

He likely left because he wanted a coaching position here, and given the option of same player development role he took the higher paying job in the better organization. Leaving for family reasons was just a way of him leaving that throws no fault on player or team.

That’s the best case scenario in regards to optics.

Agreeing... he probably wanted to stay.

Just backing up that he knew in May that likely he was out.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The Chris Kelly thing is just a reminder of how bad Ottawa is at media messaging.

Just say nothing or let Chris Kelly do the talking.

I remember Murray saying he traded one of the most respected players he’d ever been around, and so it stings that Ottawa lost a good one, but at this point it’s just business as usual in ottawa.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Garrioch does not work for the Sens and his opinion is just that, his opinion. There is a chance Kelly was let go and didn’t feel like shouting out to the world he was dropped. He is the one that said the family thing. Not the sens.
There is a chance he was upset about a demotion and left.
But he never once said he had a problem with the sens or working for the sens.
The real question is why would anyone other than Kelly who wants a job in the NHL care?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The Chris Kelly thing is just a reminder of how bad Ottawa is at media messaging.

Just say nothing or let Chris Kelly do the talking.

I remember Murray saying he traded one of the most respected players he’d ever been around, and so it stings that Ottawa lost a good one, but at this point it’s just business as usual in ottawa.

Should they have held a press conference on what’s next for the development coach? I’m not sure how anyone can twist this as evil, bad or anything for that matter.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

That’s the best case scenario in regards to optics. (I’m not considering him actually turning down a job because of wanting to spend time with his family then changing his mind while moving to a different city less than 3 weeks later a real likelihood).

I suspect the rationale should have stated he was considering his options with the Senators and potentially other opportunities since he was not going to be an assistant coach with the Senators. The “wanting to spend more time with family” comment obviously was not completely truthful.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Should they have held a press conference on what’s next for the development coach? I’m not sure how anyone can twist this as evil, bad or anything for that matter.

It's not evil or bad - just weak. It's just an indication that a manger with a bright future ahead of him doesn't want to stick around, like so many before him.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
It's not evil or bad - just weak. It's just an indication that a manger with a bright future ahead of him doesn't want to stick around, like so many before him.

Totally agree. It's all about marketing this team. This was another opportunity to send him off with a big thank you and some happy memories.

It 's all about optics.

I know we can't do this all the time in the future... for a low profile role, but the organisation needs some positive media... as obscure of a story line, it still could have been handled better.

Weak PR and communications are a product of poor spending by the organisation. We know why. :deadhorse

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Its extremely absurd nitpicking

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Its extremely absurd nitpicking

Is this was a 1st place team fine, but it’s the last place team and needs all the good men it can find.

Is Jesse Winchester the same as Chris Kelly - nope. But that’s why some organizations are excellent and others aren’t.

Pat Quinn said hockey is a people business, the better people you have the better off you are, Ottawa’s let a lot of good people slip through their fingers

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Is this was a 1st place team fine, but it’s the last place team and needs all the good men it can find.

Is Jesse Winchester the same as Chris Kelly - nope. But that’s why some organizations are excellent and others aren’t.

Pat Quinn said hockey is a people business, the better people you have the better off you are, Ottawa’s let a lot of good people slip through their fingers

Do any of us have any idea if Chris Kelly was doing a good job or not? Do you have any idea if his replacement is a good person or not?
Does anyone really need to treat this as anything? Its great he is a good guy but there is a chance they are bringing in a actual professional trainer instead of random x plarer
Whats next do the fans demand the world stops if the glass cleaner is replaced?
Do you know if the new coach wants his guy filling this roll? Do you know weather or not he chose to leave because of the demotion he recived?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Do any of us have any idea if Chris Kelly was doing a good job or not? Do you have any idea if his replacement is a good person or not?
Does anyone really need to treat this as anything? Its great he is a good guy but there is a chance they are bringing in a actual professional trainer instead of random x plarer
Do you know if the new coach wants his guy filling this roll? Do you know weather or not he chose to leave because of the demotion he recived?
What does an actual trainer have to do with Player Development coach?

We already have Chris Schwartz for our Strength and Conditioning coach.

The player development coach is almost always “random x player”...

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
What does an actual trainer have to do with Player Development coach?

We already have Chris Schwartz for our Strength and Conditioning coach.

The player development coach is almost always “random x player”...

Oh I'm sorry did I use the word training wrong somehow so you need to assign it to the position of 'trainer' you know what I mean.
My post still stand, Kelly had a job here now he doesn't . Noone on these boards have any clue to weather or not its good or bad. Trying to pump it up into negative importance is silly and over the top
The end

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Oh I'm sorry did I use the word training wrong somehow so you need to assign it to the position of 'trainer' you know what I mean.
My post still stand, Kelly had a job here now he doesn't . Noone on these boards have any clue to weather or not its good or bad. Trying to pump it up into negative importance is silly and over the top
The end
Exactly. The situation and few known facts are open for interpretation, which is why there's a discussion about it, including the possibility that there was in fact some funny business involved.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The end
Don’t really know what you mean, but sure

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The end
Funny how this us where you decide to play the "we don't and can't know" card given some of the claims you've made...

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

So you’re saying don’t have an opinion on someone Murray called the lost repartee day guy in the locker room and Crawford called an elite hockey mind?

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Unless Chris writes his memoirs, or opens up publicly, we won’t know for sure what transpired.

Frankly, there’s been too much said on this already. Time to move on folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad