Thoughts on the rebuild? PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Any chance Kelly told the Senators organisation he wanted more time with family as a way out with a pending job offer? Yes.

You'd think he'd come up with a better excuse if he knew he'd be signing with another team in short order...

Seriously though, it is possible that Kelly wanted to spend more time with family but Boston convinced him to change his mind, we don't know, but what is for sure is the org has lost far too much faith from the fanbase to be given the benefit of the doubt.

In the end, it doesn't really matter why he left he is sadly gone.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Any chance Kelly told the Senators organisation he wanted more time with family as a way out with a pending job offer? Yes.
Sure, which only makes it even funnier.

Sens have given us more then enough reason to get the benefit of the doubt though, running like a well oiled machine :laugh:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sens do not deserve the benefit of the doubt. They have zero transparency and they try to bolster themselves with BS .. that most of us here from what I can tell aren't buying. I am waiting for something significantly positive to happen the tells me they will be trying to build a hockey team with a chance.

Reactions: bigfatfist

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Wow... the internet is full of BS and BS'ers --> Chris Kelly himself said he need time with family. Total gong show of misleading and self-serving BS.

“Getting an opportunity to coach last year, as you know, it’s a full-time commitment and those guys work extremely hard,” Kelly said before taking part in the Senators’ Alumni golf tournament Friday at The Marshes. “Right now, I’m having talks with my family about what the next course of action is going to be next year.
“I said to my wife that my whole playing career has always been about me and I’ve been with my wife since the first contract. I said, ‘At some point that needs to change and it has to be about my family’. That’s where my mindset is right now and we’ll see what happens.”

A consummate professional, Kelly said he has enjoyed working with Donovan but that role also takes away from home.

From the same article written by the Sens mouthpeice

Tyler Ray is full of shit. Losers like him that peddle crap without any basis... :ha:.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I guess no one has thought of one thing that perhaps DJ Smith did not want Kelly, and the Senators tried to make it look like it was Kelly's choice. They respected him a whole lot and talked about him all the time, but the coach has the final say on the coaching staff.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I guess no one has thought of one thing that perhaps DJ Smith did not want Kelly, and the Senators tried to make it look like it was Kelly's choice. They respected him a whole lot and talked about him all the time, but the coach has the final say on the coaching staff.

That doesn't really affect the player development coaches though, since the Senators have always brought in their own guys to fill those spots and let the head coach fill out his bench staff. It's not like Winchester is a DJ Smith guy or Donavan was a Boucher guy. They are just alumni with an interest in staying in the game and the Sens had an open vacancy for them.

This would be a spot on analysis if Kelly went on to grab a bench spot in Boston, but with the way it played out it doesn't really come in to play, imo.

I guess you could argue that Kelly was PO'd about not getting serious consideration on DJ's staff and decided he'd head elsewhere at that point, but that wouldn't seem to line up with his character and his reasoning for coming back to Ottawa in the first place.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
It should be no mystery as to what happened. Kelly's pride is a little bit hurt, and he probably got an offer from a better organization (possible that he approached them) for the same job that he would have been doing in Ottawa if ever swallowed his pride and returned.

Kelly had his hopes set on the assistant job, and for whatever reasons DJ went in another direction, despite the organization likely asking him to give Kelly a hard look. But I dont blame DJ for going with a more experienced crew being such a green horn himself. And I dont blame Kelly for not being the biggest DJ fan either, it would be natural of course.

It sucks, but sort of like the Luke Richardson situation, I dont think either he nor Kelly were the right choices for coaches in Ottawa with the experience that they had on their resumes. And instead of accepting lesser roles here, they made backwards/lateral moves to other teams - one might say out of spite.

I do really like Kelly though, and will miss seeing his face around the team. But there are going to be lots of our former players looking for development roles I think in the near future, so hes far from irreplaceable, as cold as that sounds.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Draft steals will just be traded for lottery tickets again. It's a never-ending cycle.

How anyone can buy the **** they're selling is beyond me.

Think of it more like some people just don’t care enough to get worked up about it.

Why get cranky about something that hasn’t happened yet, and may not happen? I mean there’s plenty of time for that if it happens, and that’s your fancy.

As usual it’s a double-edged sword; how anyone can be so unhappy about a sports team, and yet continue to follow it right down to the off season off ice minutia, is beyond me.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Smelled like B.S. from the get go and we know it is now. When Kelly made this announcement I knew he was just saying the politically correct thing in the situation.

I don't blame him if he did not want to come back and if DJ did not want him, so be it.

Too much Gong show for him last year I bet, he will have more stable career in Boston.

Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm glad someone pointed out that it was Kelly himself who played the "more time with the family" card. Just as when politicians and business people trot out that line when leaving a position, it turned out to be polite fiction.

I think his pride was hurt when he was passed over for an assistant coach role, so he took a look elsewhere and used his connections back into the Bruins organization to find a new gig. Good for him, but he should be grateful to this organization for bringing him back and giving him an opportunity when his playing days were over. Not every former player gets that chance...

Reactions: JD1 and Variable26

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It should be no mystery as to what happened. Kelly's pride is a little bit hurt, and he probably got an offer from a better organization (possible that he approached them) for the same job that he would have been doing in Ottawa if ever swallowed his pride and returned.

Kelly had his hopes set on the assistant job, and for whatever reasons DJ went in another direction, despite the organization likely asking him to give Kelly a hard look. But I dont blame DJ for going with a more experienced crew being such a green horn himself. And I dont blame Kelly for not being the biggest DJ fan either, it would be natural of course.

It sucks, but sort of like the Luke Richardson situation, I dont think either he nor Kelly were the right choices for coaches in Ottawa with the experience that they had on their resumes. And instead of accepting lesser roles here, they made backwards/lateral moves to other teams - one might say out of spite.

I do really like Kelly though, and will miss seeing his face around the team. But there are going to be lots of our former players looking for development roles I think in the near future, so hes far from irreplaceable, as cold as that sounds.
You are right, it "shouldn't be" a mystery but unfortunately everything related to the Ottawa Senators is and they are the ones responsible for the majority of their fans feeling this way.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Fun fact:

"Spending time with his family" is the exact same excuse given by Pierre Gauthier when he resigned as Sens GM in late June of '98, only to suddenly take the GM job in Anaheim less than 3 weeks later in July of the same year.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Think of it more like some people just don’t care enough to get worked up about it.

Why get cranky about something that hasn’t happened yet, and may not happen? I mean there’s plenty of time for that if it happens, and that’s your fancy.

As usual it’s a double-edged sword; how anyone can be so unhappy about a sports team, and yet continue to follow it right down to the off season off ice minutia, is beyond me.

Right! This is something straight out of old satire. The whole situation with the organization is wild enough, but the reaction of a lot of the fans just adds layers to the comedy. It's almost like the two sides (ownership and fanbase) are trying to one-up eachother with how absurd they can be.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Question:
When Pierre trades Thomas Chabot, will that become by default since he drafted him, Pierre's proudest day as a GM?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Sure, I understand what was said.

What I don’t understand is that you seem to be suggesting that Kelly would have more time with his family, who work and live in Ottawa, by working in Boston compared to Ottawa, which was the reason given for his departure from the Sens by him. Obviously that doesn’t add up.

Not to mention Garrioch suggested it was to be with family a full 3 weeks prior to Kelly signing in with Boston.

You don’t see the fail in logic there?

The Sens offer wasn’t enough, and he took a better gig 3 weeks later. The whole “be with family” thing obviously isn’t true, and was just an excuse that Garrioch put out there, and may or may not have been taken as from the organization, as that’s how they’ve operated in the past.

Garrioch has been the Sens PR mouthpiece for years, they put information they want out through him, and will continue to do so. What he says gets taken, and for right reason, as what the Sens want him to say.

He announced signings of others, and gave a definite reason for Kelly not signing. No “his opinion” or “some are saying”, he flat out said Kelly wanted to spend more time with his family, which is clearly not true.

I'm not really a big Garrioch fan. I don't think the man can put down a coherent thought in writing.

I don't know the inside details about what happened with Kelly other than we know Smith wanted experience on his bench and Kelly didn't have that.

I can't link the article from my phone but there's an ottawa sun article dated June 14 in which Kelly is quoted as saying family 7 times so I wouldn't put it on either Garrioch or the team.

So he's out of hockey. Contemplating his future. A month goes by. The phone rings. He's back in.

Imo it's not hard to understand and it's not always the team's fault. Look at MacA being at dev camp. He said being retired isn't easy. He was there because he wanted something to do and was qualified to do it.

Sitting around counting your money sounds easy to do. For a lot of people it isn't.

Him going to Boston doesn't make it Dorion's fault

Reactions: pzeeman

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
No. No chance imo.

Two reasons

1. He has more integrity than that
2. He really wouldn't have needed to do that because teams tend not to stand in the way of guys moving to other orgs

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I know the team doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt but this is the most plausible scenario in my mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad