Thoughts on Lehner

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this but whatever.

Lehner is a great goalie don't get me wrong, and I think he's going to be a great starter in the future. Hopefully for us.

However, he seems to have too many moments that make me go WTF that makes me believe he's not quite ready to be our number 1. Lehner doesn't seem to make timely saves like Andy does for us. Lehner sucks in the shootout. Falls for everything. Whether you like it or not, the shootout is here to stay and is a part of the game.

The first goal Lehner let in tonight was horrific.

I know his save percentage is good, but Andy is more solid in net for us. Makes more timely saves.

Again, this is all my opinion and would love to get your thoughts on this.

two things from last nights game and your comments:

1. .943

2. go away...

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I've been watching Lehner for three years now, two words, five hole. He needs to fix it.

Watch the shootout again last night, he knows it's a weakness. He got destroyed five hole in the last shootout he was in, and what did the Bruins do, five hole. The book is out on Lehner. He put his stick down on Marchand and got lucky, then he goes down early on Krejci and he goes shelf. This isn't rocket science to notice.

Then all we need to do is get Eddy Belfour as his personal goalie coach for a little while and there will be no problems with the five hole. This much raw talent at 21, he will easily fix what needs to be fixed. He will be one of the best tenders in the league in little while.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Real way to continue a discussion.

this is not a discussion. In fact this thread has already been brought up some umpteen times. You did not do your research. Rather than look at a players overall body of work, you took your stats from one or two games. Stats are not really even sound with regards to your argument to begin with. You mad we lost the game? We do not lose Weircioch for 19mins and this game is likely a lot different. We put Latendress into the shoot out, likely also a different outcome.

This thread should be closed, or folded into all the other threads about this topic that you could have already looked up and added to, instead of making an entirely new thread about an old topic.

Sorry if I am not adding to your fodder.

shootingrubber

Oct 7, 2010
this is not a discussion. In fact this thread has already been brought up some umpteen times. You did not do your research. Rather than look at a players overall body of work, you took your stats from one or two games. Stats are not really even sound with regards to your argument to begin with. You mad we lost the game? We do not lose Weircioch for 19mins and this game is likely a lot different. We put Latendress into the shoot out, likely also a different outcome.

This thread should be closed, or folded into all the other threads about this topic that you could have already looked up and added to, instead of making an entirely new thread about an old topic.

Sorry if I am not adding to your fodder.

5 pages and this is not a discussion? You should probably look up the definition of a discussion then. Actually I'll just give it to you: "The action or process of talking about something, typically in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas". Pretty sure this thread was created to exchange ideas.

I presented some valid thoughts which I clearly stated were my OPINION and the fact that some of you just dismiss them because you think Lehner is our golden boy and nothing bad can be said about him is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I love Lehner, and think he's a great goalie (which I clearly stated in the OP), but I still think he needs some improvement.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
because you think Lehner is our golden boy and nothing bad can be said about him is ridiculous.
You keep parroting this, so let's break down what you said, or will you brush this aside too?

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this but whatever.]However, he seems to have too many moments that make me go WTF that makes me believe he's not quite ready to be our number 1.
Explain why? Every goalies make mistakes as well. What differentiates Lehner's mistake from them? That he makes more mistakes? How do you arrive at such a conclusion from so few games?

Lehner doesn't seem to make timely saves like Andy does for us.
I can tell you his save on Tavares in OT was very timely, and has he given up a back breaker goal? How did you arrive to this?

Lehner sucks in the shootout. Falls for everything. Whether you like it or not, the shootout is here to stay and is a part of the game.
I hear the very same thing about Luongo, Price, and Lundqvist. In the the last two shootouts Lehner failed, but shootouts will have zero bearing on if Lehner will be a #1.

The first goal Lehner let in tonight was horrific.
You're being redundant. No goalie is judged by a few goals he gives up.

I know his save percentage is good, but Andy is more solid in net for us. Makes more timely saves.
Amazing save %, not good, and Anderson is more solid for us and makes more saves? Anderson has been more solid than anyone in the league.

Again, this is all my opinion and would love to get your thoughts on this.
Go ahead and say people are defensive of Lehner. No one is. Everyone knows he's a young goalie who will serve as a great backup to Anderson and how he's played has reinforced that idea.

shootingrubber

Oct 7, 2010
You keep parroting this, so let's break down what you said, or will you brush this aside too?

Brush this aside, really?

Explain why? Every goalies make mistakes as well. What differentiates Lehner's mistake from them? That he makes more mistakes? How do you arrive at such a conclusion from so few games?

In my small sample size of watching him play this season he seems to let in more weak goals than I would like him to. It's a small sample size, yes, but it's all we have to go on in this season in the NHL.

I can tell you his save on Tavares in OT was very timely, and has he given up a back breaker goal? How did you arrive to this?

Yes, he does make great saves most of the game most of the time, but, again, from my sample size of seeing him this season he seems to let in more softies than I would like. Again, this is my opinion. Not sure why some of you keep berating me and I am also not sure why we can't just agree to disagree.

I hear the very same thing about Luongo, Price, and Lundqvist. In the the last two shootouts Lehner failed, but shootouts will have zero bearing on if Lehner will be a #1.

You're right. It won't have any bearing on him being a #1, I completely agree. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't work on them, as they are currently a large part of the game in the regular season. Another pointless argument though. Some other good goalies in the league aren't good in the shootout, so it doesn't matter if Lehner isn't. That's essentially what you said, or implied at least.

You're being redundant. No goalie is judged by a few goals he gives up.

No you're right. They are judged on an overall basis. And right now, overall this season he has given up some weak goals, which I would like to see slowly disappear from his game. Can't we agree to disagree?

Amazing save %, not good, and Anderson is more solid for us and makes more saves? Anderson has been more solid than anyone in the league.

You're playing semantics here.

Go ahead and say people are defensive of Lehner. No one is. Everyone knows he's a young goalie who will serve as a great backup to Anderson and how he's played has reinforced that idea.

Most people here are defensive of Lehner, myself included. I just pointed out some things that I'd like to see him work on going forward. Not sure what's wrong with that.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lehner will be one of the best goalies in the league for a long, long time with multiple vezina nominations.

Only on the Sens board will someone complain about Lehner playing behind a discombobulated team with a 1.98 GAA and .943 SV% in 5 games while he isn't even our number 1 goalie.

Lehner does have the tendency to give up a bad goal, I've seen it through-out his young career in the SEL, OHL, AHL, WJC AND NHL.

With that being said, for every bad goal he lets in, he stopped 3-4 ones that SHOULD have gone in. I don't know if I'm making sense but he makes more harder saves that would typically go in on very good goalies yet sometimes allows in a softie. I think it's because of his concentration to be perfect and in that he overreacts or overplays a simple opportunity.

Bottom line, he's still a very good goalie in the NHL at this age, let alone a couple years with more seasoning and experience and he'll STILL be only 23.

shootingrubber

Oct 7, 2010
Lehner will be one of the best goalies in the league for a long, long time with multiple vezina nominations.

Only on the Sens board will someone complain about Lehner playing behind a discombobulated team with a 1.98 GAA and .943 SV% in 5 games while he isn't even our number 1 goalie.

Lehner does have the tendency to give up a bad goal, I've seen it through-out his young career in the SEL, OHL, AHL, WJC AND NHL.

With that being said, for every bad goal he lets in, he stopped 3-4 ones that SHOULD have gone in. I don't know if I'm making sense but he makes more harder saves that would typically go in on very good goalies yet sometimes allows in a softie. I think it's because of his concentration to be perfect and in that he overreacts or overplays a simple opportunity.

Bottom line, he's still a very good goalie in the NHL at this age, let alone a couple years with more seasoning and experience and he'll STILL be only 23.

I completely agree with you. You're making sense. I don't like to speak in certain terms, however. Just because I think he needs to work on letting in soft goals doesn't mean I don't think that he makes spectacular saves. One doesn't imply the other.

I'm not complaining by any means, just pointing out something that should be worked on.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I completely agree with you. You're making sense. I don't like to speak in certain terms, however. Just because I think he needs to work on letting in soft goals doesn't mean I don't think that he makes spectacular saves. One doesn't imply the other.

I'm not complaining by any means, just pointing out something that should be worked on.

I know what you mean and the reason I brought the spectacular save aspect is I think since he has one he has the other as well. He grips a little too tight which saves him in dire situations but can make you scratch your head occasionally.

Regardless, I think with more experience he'll shore it up some more but if does, I think he can be the best goalie in the league with that type of consistency and level of play.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
He also hasn't lost in regulation yet this season. He may not be on Anderson's level but what 21 year old is? Give him some room for mistakes.

Sensbrah

Apr 24, 2012
Bear in mind all young players will make mistakes. Often times these mistakes result in goals. But for some reason it is always emotionally easier to forgive a young defenseman or forward for mixing up his defensive coverage, for example, than a young goaltender for getting his angle wrong and yeilding a softie. I don't envy young goaltenders in this league. Even less so those playing in hockey-crazed markets.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Bear in mind all young players will make mistakes. Often times these mistakes result in goals. But for some reason it is always emotionally easier to forgive a young defenseman or forward for mixing up his defensive coverage, for example, than a young goaltender for getting his angle wrong and yeilding a softie. I don't envy young goaltenders in this league. Even less so those playing in hockey-crazed markets.

More specifically a hockey-crazed market that is a goalie grave-hard.

It's ridiculous how we are talking about Lehner's soft goal mistakes when those are the ONLY GOALS he allows.

Heck, if lehner allows 2 goals every game from now until the end of his career and all of those goals are "soft" idgaf.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We can probably all agree that:

People are certainly allowed to lament about some weak goals, and wish he could have stopped them. Then, moderate those thoughts with the understanding that he is an excellent young goalie prospect who should only get better.

Anderson is the better goalie, no surprise given that he's been the best tender in the league, but that should not detract from our two solid young backups.

Exique*

His lack of shutouts concerns me.
NSOx7ar.gif

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad