Thoughts on Lehner

shootingrubber

Oct 7, 2010
I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this but whatever.

Lehner is a great goalie don't get me wrong, and I think he's going to be a great starter in the future. Hopefully for us.

However, he seems to have too many moments that make me go WTF that makes me believe he's not quite ready to be our number 1. Lehner doesn't seem to make timely saves like Andy does for us. Lehner sucks in the shootout. Falls for everything. Whether you like it or not, the shootout is here to stay and is a part of the game.

The first goal Lehner let in tonight was horrific.

I know his save percentage is good, but Andy is more solid in net for us. Makes more timely saves.

Again, this is all my opinion and would love to get your thoughts on this.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Lehner is young and not as seasoned.

Seriously, he's the type of goalie that learns from his mistakes. He's fairly solid all around. Yeah, he let in a weak goal, and hasn't been as great in the shootout. But beyond that he's been completely solid, and has stolen us points. Is Andy better at this point, yeah. But Lehner has a LONG career ahead of him to learn, and if this is his starting point -- I cannot help but imagine his future.

He needs to learn some things, but he's a competitive guy, if he wants to be a starter - he will learn.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
He's 21 years old and we've been spoiled with god-like goaltending all season. He played as well as anyone should have expected.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
He has been playing great, but let in a soft goal these past two games.

I do want Andy back just because he was playing unbelievably.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
Early on in the season Andy let in some softies too from what I can remember. I think Lehner has been very strong given his age and his development thus far.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
.943sv% 5 of 8 points in games he played, yet we start complaining.... I will laugh hysterically when Andy comes back and his save% starts dropping and we start losing with him. ZOMG he sucks, why doesn't he have a .950sv% anymore? Because no goalie in ****ing history has a .950sv% for an entire season.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Kid has a .947 Sv% and on average the team gives up fewer than 2 a game when he's in net. Who cares what the goals look like if he's giving up so few of them?

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Anderson: 1.49 GAA .952 SV%
Lehner: 1.89 GAA .947 SV%
Bishop: 2.54 GAA .925 SV%

Just insane. It's funny how Bishop is the worst of the 3, yet those would be considered great numbers for any goal-tender in the league.

ACLEVERNAME

No content.
Jan 6, 2010
Oof...
He has his brain farts - just like the rest of this young, unseasoned team. I'm more concerned with our inability to clear the zone time and time again. It's those plays that lead to weak goals.

Edit: Just to add he seems to have trouble tracking the puck in close quarters. When I played net I found the neck protector rattled around and got in the way much of the time in those situations. I took that thing off the second got out of minor-hockey.

Last edited:

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
For his age Lehner is a good goaltender he just has to correct a couple of things in tight to protect loose puck around his crease. Those things will be fixed the more he plays at the NHL level. After Andy, I feel more relaxed with him in net except in the so not so much right now.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He just needs to fix that soft goal propensity he had and he will be elite.

We're spoiled right now if you're complaining about him.

This is how I feel. He's a great goalie with good instincts and reflexes, but his tendency to let in a softie after making some great saves has hurt us this season (twice against the Bruins). If he can shore that up he can be one of the top goalies in the league.

Sensbrah

Apr 24, 2012
Let's in too many softies. Pucks at times seem to squeeze through him. On the whole, however, he provides solid netminding. Importantly, he has been able to put these bad goals behind him in every game to date to turn in overall solid performances in net - the kid is mentally tough. Has already shown the ability to make huge saves (see: Stepan vs. the NYR for the latest example).

The kid is still only 21. He hasn't been perfect but all things considered is coming along great. Certainly seems on track to be the goalie of the future we hope. His stats tell the story - no reason to be anything but pleased with his play this year.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Goaltending is probably THE most learned game. That's why you see goalies who played as starters in the AHL or overseas and got a ton of games develop past more talented guys who get 20 games as NHL backups. Lehner getting NHL experience and doing well is so ****ing valuable. This extends double to the shootout. It's simply not an aspect of the game that many goalies will be naturally good at. Lehner is competitive as hell, he will work hard and study and learn and become a good shootout goalie. This thread is dumb.

TheOriginalSilf*

Friendly Sharks fan here with a question. Where does Bishop currently fit in?

He, more likely than not, doesn't (at least in the future). The general belief is that Lehner will be backing up Anderson soon and up until Anderson's contract is up. I have a feeling Bishop could be dealt at the deadline.

Hard to say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad