Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Sure :laugh:

TNxp0Fi.gif

Amazing thanks!:yo:

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Lehner will be one of the best goalies in the league for a long, long time with multiple vezina nominations.

Only on the Sens board will someone complain about Lehner playing behind a discombobulated team with a 1.98 GAA and .943 SV% in 5 games while he isn't even our number 1 goalie.

Lehner does have the tendency to give up a bad goal, I've seen it through-out his young career in the SEL, OHL, AHL, WJC AND NHL.

With that being said, for every bad goal he lets in, he stopped 3-4 ones that SHOULD have gone in. I don't know if I'm making sense but he makes more harder saves that would typically go in on very good goalies yet sometimes allows in a softie. I think it's because of his concentration to be perfect and in that he overreacts or overplays a simple opportunity.

Bottom line, he's still a very good goalie in the NHL at this age, let alone a couple years with more seasoning and experience and he'll STILL be only 23.

I agree with a lot of this. I will say that in my experience of watching NHL hockey and years of playing at a much lower level, a bad goal is way more deflating to a team than a big save is inflating.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I will also say that this fanbase has clearly dealt with bad goalies for too long. For too long it was "if you say 1 positive thing you love him!" or "if you say one negative thing you hate him!" People need to relax on jumping on people for criticisms of anyones game. All 3 goalies are great.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I agree with a lot of this. I will say that in my experience of watching NHL hockey and years of playing at a much lower level, a bad goal is way more deflating to a team than a big save is inflating.

I dunno about that.

I've seen teams really rally after a series of great saves.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Disagree. I played goalie and when I let in a bad goal but come back and make 3-4 saves in a flurry the team has a greater jump. They see I mean business and they then feel responsible to respond and help me out.

Bad goal at a bad time is a different thing but Lehner does not have a tendency to do that whatsoever. He is actually really clutch.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Disagree. I played goalie and when I let in a bad goal but come back and make 3-4 saves in a flurry the team has a greater jump. They see I mean business and they then feel responsible to respond and help me out.

Bad goal at a bad time is a different thing but Lehner does not have a tendency to do that whatsoever. He is actually really clutch.

He let in two bad goals at pretty bad times in two straight games. Not that I think he is a bad goal machine because he obviously plays quite well...but it would be nice to have one of those back and have 3 points right now instead of 2.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Bad goals are all part of the game. I'm sure Price isn't too thrilled that he gave up the last two either.

The most important thing is that Lehner isn't giving up the next one, and to this point, he hasn't.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
The big things for me is that he is letting in a bad goal a game and then not winning. He has been outstanding, but I wouldnt be upset if he gets another year in the AHL. We have the depth that we dont NEED him next season.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Bad goals are all part of the game. I'm sure Price isn't too thrilled that he gave up the last two either.

The most important thing is that Lehner isn't giving up the next one, and to this point, he hasn't.

Yep, and don't forget he is 21. Rinne was 26 when he became a starter, Lundqvist was 24, goalies typically take longer to develop. The fact that Lehner is playing this well, and getting points (with an AHL team infront of him) at this age is great

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Lehner is both reminding us that:
a) he's still 21, and he's going to make mistakes
b) he's only 21, and if he can sort out the few rough areas in his game, he's going to be a treat to watch for the next 10+ years.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
The big things for me is that he is letting in a bad goal a game and then not winning. He has been outstanding, but I wouldnt be upset if he gets another year in the AHL. We have the depth that we dont NEED him next season.

He has already dominated the A. He needs to be playing in the NHL next year to really take his game to the next level.

I have no issue sending him back once Andy gets back, but ultimately he needs more NHL experience.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Lehner will likely back-up Andy next year. I wouldn't worry about him getting more experience. I'm sure he knows that.

He has played better than any other 21 year old goalie I've ever watched in the NHL so I'm not worried. Just saying that he still does have areas to improve on.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
He has already dominated the A. He needs to be playing in the NHL next year to really take his game to the next level.

I have no issue sending him back once Andy gets back, but ultimately he needs more NHL experience.

He just needs some NHL seasoning...that's all.

He owned tonight's loss like a champ.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Lehner will likely back-up Andy next year. I wouldn't worry about him getting more experience. I'm sure he knows that.

He has played better than any other 21 year old goalie I've ever watched in the NHL so I'm not worried. Just saying that he still does have areas to improve on.

Eh, I've seen better 21-year-olds, but then again I have the benefit of being an old fart who remembers being a kid and staying up late to see Patrick Roy win the Cup as a 21 year old, as well as Brodeur when he broke into the league. :laugh:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I honestly can't believe you guys.

42 saves out of 45 shots and he has stuff to work on? Wow.

The bigger issue to me was he looked like he was battling the puck more than his comfort level is used to. What bad goal did he honestly give up? The Pacioretty chance where he was 5 feet away? Pac being the hottest goalscorer in the league lately.

Give me a break, he got us that one point. Last year Anderson was giving up much worse goals. Don't let Anderson's play spoil a 21 year old's performance who has a .940 SV%!!

Whoever said he needs another year in the AHL should be voted for comedian of the year.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
This "soft goals" crap is garbage. If he continues to stop 95% of shots taken on him, he can give up goals from the red line for all I care.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
The only reason people bring up 'soft' goals is because the end result was a loss. If games were all wins no body would say boo.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Eh, I've seen better 21-year-olds, but then again I have the benefit of being an old fart who remembers being a kid and staying up late to see Patrick Roy win the Cup as a 21 year old, as well as Brodeur when he broke into the league. :laugh:

It might be glorified. Lehner right now is sporting above a 94% save rate and nearly 2 GAA...those are Vezina numbers. By contrast Roy had a sub 90% save rate in both his 20 and 21 year old seasons (although the playoffs were another story) and Brodeur's numbers weren't as good either -- though better than Roy's.

That said it's obviously subject to small sample size. Aside from his soft goals though he has been playing insanely good. Though I'm not old enough to have seen Roy or Brodeur in the league at 21 years old. :P

Also I just realized Brodeur is not as old as I thought...I guess I just can't think of him in the league that young because he feels so old now...which in turn makes me feel old.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
A bad goal is a bad goal. A good goalie is a good goalie. Occaisionally, a good goalie will let in a bad goal. He will know it's a bad goal and lash himself with a cat-o-nine-tails for a fortnight to make sure that goal never happens again. The end.

Also...not as old as grampa there to have seen the very beginnings of Roy but Brodeur was something else. ;)

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
For those who think Lehner needs to work on his shootouts, you have to realize that he is...it's no coincidence that almost every game he plays goes to extra time. That's just how good he is ;)

We're getting incredibly spoiled as a fan base this year when it comes to goaltending. The team save % is in the stratosphere right now and Anderson is only half responsible for that. Compared to the rest of the league it is similar to Crosby's distance from the 2nd place scorer and beyond.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad