Thoughts on Lehner

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
Lehner wouldn't of let in that softie last night if Gonchar wouldn't of done such a crap clearence straight to Chara.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Weak goals will happen to a young tender. No worries here. He's still trying to prove himself at this level. His confidence will grow once he establishes himself as an NHL goaltender and these mistakes will disappear.

Shootout is a bit concerning but again, young tender. Once he has more games under his belt he'll know not to fall for the first move from NHL shooters. It will also help his shootouts when he has guys like Spezza and Karlsson shooting on him in practice.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If the team could bail him out for once this discussion wouldn't take place.

This team is not scoring a lot. That's not something new. Considering who we have in our line-up we're actually scoring at a pretty decent clip lately.

Lehner wouldn't of let in that softie last night if Gonchar wouldn't of done such a crap clearence straight to Chara.

Can't blame goals like that on anyone but the goalie. He was square to the shot, and it wasn't a hard one to save. Plays like that happen all the time for both sides but the goalie is expected to stop it.

He's young; hopefully he will decrease his tendency to let in softies every once in a while as he matures. He's great at making very tough stops so hopefully those mental lapses will go away.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
This team is not scoring a lot. That's not something new. Considering who we have in our line-up we're actually scoring at a pretty decent clip lately.

Can't blame goals like that on anyone but the goalie. He was square to the shot, and it wasn't a hard one to save. Plays like that happen all the time for both sides but the goalie is expected to stop it.

He's young; hopefully he will decrease his tendency to let in softies every once in a while as he matures. He's great at making very tough stops so hopefully those mental lapses will go away.

Are you really that doubtful? He got what, 15-20 NHL games under his belt and you're not sure if he will improve?

:shakehead

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Are you really that doubtful? He got what, 15-20 NHL games under his belt and you're not sure if he will improve?

Some players peak early some don't. He is a fantastic goalie already so it's not like there is a ton of room for improvement anyway. I say hopefully because I don't like to speak in absolutes about anything. You never know -- especially when it comes to prospects.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Some players peak early some don't. He is a fantastic goalie already so it's not like there is a ton of room for improvement anyway. I say hopefully because I don't like to speak in absolutes about anything. You never know -- especially when it comes to prospects.

Players is the key word here, you know there aren't many goaltenders that have peaked after 15 NHL games.

And I would say there's a ton of room to get better, experience of the teams ssystems and the players tendencies are no 1 on the his list. That one will be acquired only with time.

Look at Craig Anderson, he wasn't that good a few years ago.

I can go on and on but what is annoying me is that you know all this.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Not that this will happen to Lehner, but a lot of goalies never solve an underlying issue and that prevents them from making the next step. The NHL is littered with the bodies of goalies with excellent pedigrees that struggle to take that leap forward into a consistent starter.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I'm not saying he's going to be a great NHL goalie, but are people really comparing his play to that of the Vezina front-runner this season? Why should he be held to such a high standard so early in his career?

Why is there such a need to render judgement on a young player in a position which rarely shows linear developmental progression? Too many guys have come into the NHL, played well, and then regressed.

Lehner needs a few years before we render judgement. Thankfully, he'll get a couple as a back-up.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
Favorite thing about Lehner (other than his general skill) is that he's not a whiny goalie. Mask gets kicked off by a skate, NP.

When someone runs him a bit, he gets up puffs out his chest & stares the guy down. Plenty of teeth are going to meet his blocker throughout his career.

The guy is tough & extremely competitive, that type doesn't stop trying to improve.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
He reminds me of Grant Fuhr. He won't allow that go-ahead goal... always gives his team a chance to win. He'll be a perfect fit once the Sens can score regularly again.

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
while I think Lehner will become a #1 goalie , is it just me or does he seems to have a problem with his 5hole? he has had a few weak goals squeek through there and players seem to be targeting that area , especially in the shootout.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
He's 21. He's damn lucky to be playing NHL games and holding us in against some of the best rosters in the league.

I know some of you need to rush to get your opinion out. Have some patience, the kid is getting some feet wet and at an age when goalies are still just trying to become pros in the minors, he's had several solid performances in games against tough opposition.

He's gonna be a better goalie in all kinds of ways as the years go on, he's way ahead of the pack at his age.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
My thoughts are that Lehner is awesome.

A diving knuckle-ball shot through a screen with traffic in front is not a "softie".

Thorntongoal.jpg

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Lehner looked overwhelmed on that sequence and overreacted on that shot. He should learn to keep his cool. He's actually getting better at it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
My thoughts are that Lehner is awesome.

A diving knuckle-ball shot through a screen with traffic in front is not a "softie".

Thorntongoal.jpg

Why make excuses for a soft goal? It was soft. He also has clear line of sight in that picture to the shooter. He just didn't react well to the shot and he can learn from it in the future.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Can't say I am surprised by this thread.

After every loss it seems one of the young players isn't living up to the hype created by the posters on this very board. :shakehead

IMO all the young guys are playing very well considering the situation, specially the young goaltenders.

The pressure on these guys is immense, considering they know going into a game two or more GA means the games is lost. Then jack the pressure even higher by having to follow Anderson's incredible run.

There is one thing for certain, the goaltending as a whole has been beyond expectations this season.

League rankings
SA% Anderson(1), Lehner(3), Bishop(10)
GA Anderson (2), Lehner (3), Bishop (33)

** does not include goaltenders with only 1 game played.

Anyone looking for fault here is just being hypercritical, or attempting to create controversy where none exists.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Why make excuses for a soft goal? It was soft. He also has clear line of sight in that picture to the shooter. He just didn't react well to the shot and he can learn from it in the future.

My seats are almost directly in-line with that pic and a lot closer.

On that goal Lehner stopped the shot but lost the puck in his equipment and it trickled in.

Bad goal or bad luck?

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Lehner is an awesome young goalie who can play in the league right now. And he's played 15 games, and has 15 more years to get better, and the future looks damn bright. Very pleased with his game, his progress, and his promise. Can't think of a goalie prospect I'd rather have in the system.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Lehner is the future. I'm really sold on him based on what I've seen.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa

Easy to say from where you sit. If you can't see the puck going through Greening, then I don't know what to tell you.

If you ever played baseball you'd know what it's like to try to hit an "eephus pitch" let alone a knuckle ball. Now picture the pitch coming between a stick and legs, then past a waving stick while dropping 12 inches.

Some people do seem to expect goalies to stop the ones going wide, too, though.:dunno:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
After every loss it seems one of the young players isn't living up to the hype created by the posters on this very board. :shakehead

My issue with this is that people are taking extremes on both sides. The topic creator here isn't really saying anything of what you are implying. He's just saying that Lehner still needs some time to develop (most people would agree). He is still young and has thing he can work on (like any goalie of any age really). The problem with being online is that you can't offer a small criticism to any player because then you are attacking them and hate them and you can't compliment or talk-up a player because then you are over-hyping or in love with them. The truth is the internet is unreasonable both ways and it makes it very hard to have rational discussions.

My seats are almost directly in-line with that pic and a lot closer.

On that goal Lehner stopped the shot but lost the puck in his equipment and it trickled in.

Bad goal or bad luck?

The two are not mutually exclusive. Whether it was bad luck or not he should have stopped it. Happens to the best of them, but it is what it is.

Easy to say from where you sit. If you can't see the puck going through Greening, then I don't know what to tell you.

If you ever played baseball you'd know what it's like to try to hit an "eephus pitch" let alone a knuckle ball. Now picture the pitch coming between a stick and legs, then past a waving stick while dropping 12 inches.

Some people do seem to expect goalies to stop the ones going wide, too.:dunno:

There's a huge difference between trying to hit a pitch with a bat and using your entire body to stop a puck that you are squared up to. This is a bad analogy, and nobody should expect the goalie to stop shots going wide. They should expect the goalie to stop weak shots that they are already square to. Everyone lets in soft goals from time to time (the best goalies just do it much less). That was a soft goal.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Some people do seem to expect goalies to stop the ones going wide, too, though.:dunno:

You're on your own here. It was a bad goal. So what? Anderson's given up a stinker here and there too. The important thing is that he's able to shake these bad goals off.

What I'd like to know is who was at fault for the huge brain cramp that left Paille behind the defense? That was stupid.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I'm a Lehner fan and think he'll only get better - you have to always remember he's very young.
But just to be the devil's advocate, its weird how with some of you nothing bad can be said about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad