Thoughts on Lehner

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Lehner is obviously a pretty good NHL goalie that needs to work on shootouts, I think the big issue is what happens when Anderson returns.

Send Lehner down? Something is going to have to give eventually.

shootingrubber

Oct 7, 2010
I honestly can't believe you guys.

42 saves out of 45 shots and he has stuff to work on? Wow.

The bigger issue to me was he looked like he was battling the puck more than his comfort level is used to. What bad goal did he honestly give up? The Pacioretty chance where he was 5 feet away? Pac being the hottest goalscorer in the league lately.

Give me a break, he got us that one point. Last year Anderson was giving up much worse goals. Don't let Anderson's play spoil a 21 year old's performance who has a .940 SV%!!

Whoever said he needs another year in the AHL should be voted for comedian of the year.

I know what you're saying, but just because he saves 42 out of 45 shots doesn't mean he still doesn't have stuff to work on. I think he's a great goaltender, especially being only 21 years old. Just needs to fix 5 hole and shootouts.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
The dudes 5-hole is an issue.

wide+stance.jpg

BilldurnanKlake.jpg

Get used to it. It's the style of goaltending. Stand-up goalies rarely if ever got beat 5 hole, but low stick or glove? Like- on the ice low.

shootingrubber

Oct 7, 2010
wide+stance.jpg

BilldurnanKlake.jpg

Get used to it. It's the style of goaltending. Stand-up goalies rarely if ever got beat 5 hole, but low stick or glove? Like- on the ice low.

I hate this type of argument. Goalie A sucks at it, so it doesn't matter if Lehner isn't good at it either.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Lehner has quite a bit of work to do to become the elite, superstar goalie a lot of people here have him pegged to be. Obviously his shootouts need some serious work and on top of that I feel he gets beat clean a little bit more often then I'd like to see and his puck handling skills could use some work. He is a serviceable nhl goalie at this point but it will take some work to reach his full potential.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Lehner is obviously a pretty good NHL goalie that needs to work on shootouts, I think the big issue is what happens when Anderson returns.

Send Lehner down? Something is going to have to give eventually.

What happens is Lehner gets sent back down, because Anderson is having a Vezina-calibre season.

The fact that Lehner has been playing so many games lately leads me to believe that they are going to send him down, so they're giving him an opportunity now while they can. I think it's a smart move by the organization.

Bishop can't be sent down because of his contract. So he either gets traded or Lehner goes down.

VVS

Nov 22, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I hate this type of argument. Goalie A sucks at it, so it doesn't matter if Lehner isn't good at it either.

In this case the argument is that Lundqvist has issues with it, and they play the same (or very similar) style.

I'm sure he'll work on it, but I don't know how much it can change without affecting his style of play.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
First of all every player in the NHL has stuff they can work on - each and every one of them is not perfect in any aspect of their game. Just like each and every one of us could work on many, many things to be better at work, as a person, etc...

I understand the post but I think we can let it go a little bit here. He needs to work on 5-hole and shoot-outs?

5-hole is an opening that all modern goalies have and it is the nature of the beast. There is no style that eliminates all opportunities to score. With a .944 save% I am comfortable with believing that 5-hole is not an issue for him and quite frankly 5-hole shots ALWAYS make either the shooter or the goalie look bad. Complete non-issue for me even if I agree he can work on that and his quickness and his angles and his puck handling, etc...I hope he gets better at all of it.

Shoot-outs are another animal completely and I don't even know how you practice that to get better...it's not like the team can just keep having break-away practice. I think he needs to learn patience and I think that is taught through experience...so I think when he becomes our legit starter he will have had enough time to let that patience come to him.

If he makes 35 saves a game and we go OT and SO I would generally say he is having a pretty good run - let's also not forget that we give up the most shots in the league and while most like to say how good we are defensively because of our low GAA the reality is we give up a TON of excellent scoring opportunities a game. At 21 he is so far ahead of the game it isn't even funny (well maybe to us it is) so again while I believe he can be better if he didn't get any better he would still be a stud career goalie.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The criticism of Lehner and Bishop on their weak five holes just made me realize this is actually a league wide trend. Shooters are finally going low on these big goalies. Watching highlights of tonight and I've seen about 10 already that are either five hole or right along the ice. Even Price got beat yesterday.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The criticism of Lehner and Bishop on their weak five holes just made me realize this is actually a league wide trend. Shooters are finally going low on these big goalies. Watching highlights of tonight and I've seen about 10 already that are either five hole or right along the ice. Even Price got beat yesterday.

Except that our goalies stop all other shots :sarcasm:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Lehner has quite a bit of work to do to become the elite, superstar goalie a lot of people here have him pegged to be. Obviously his shootouts need some serious work and on top of that I feel he gets beat clean a little bit more often then I'd like to see and his puck handling skills could use some work. He is a serviceable nhl goalie at this point but it will take some work to reach his full potential.

Can't wait for this to happen, considering the goaltender in question has a .944 SA%.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
The guy is still a rookie, give him some time to develop and he should be just fine.

Lehner is fine now.

Lehner is .008 behind Anderson in SA% and doing it without Karlsson in the lineup and facing almost 10 shots more per game.

While he has things to work on like every young player, what exactly is so overwhelming wrong with his game?

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
What happens is Lehner gets sent back down, because Anderson is having a Vezina-calibre season.

The fact that Lehner has been playing so many games lately leads me to believe that they are going to send him down, so they're giving him an opportunity now while they can. I think it's a smart move by the organization.

Bishop can't be sent down because of his contract. So he either gets traded or Lehner goes down.

I agree Lehner will be sent down, no question about it.

I disagree Lehner is playing just to give him the opportunity. I believe MacLean is playing him because he is playing well and the team hasn't lost in regulation with him in the net.

MacLean said as much prior to the Montreal game.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I agree. Maclean emphasizes making line-up choices that help the team win. As much as we as fans think other factors should come to bear on his decisions, like satisfying a player's appetite for NHL exposure, his eye is on the prize.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Just watched the Chicago-Columbus highlights to see Kane's shootout winner.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20122013,2,394&navid=sb:highlights

Brassard's shootout move looked like it was going to be similar to Eller's. A left-shot approach from the goalie's right, try to get the goalie moving right-to-left, then draw the puck back to forehand and roof it. Crawford's poke was successful because it was earlier, before Brassard could draw it back to his forehand.

More confidence, and I expect Lehner to execute that.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
This kid is amazing. He lets in a 'softie' and he shakes it off and kills it the rest of the game. Lehner's not 'gonna be fine' lol, he's more than fine now. He just needs to continue to get games in.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I also think another positive on Lehner is that he knows what he does wrong, he's critical of himself but in a good way.

The kids just 21 and knows that he has to work on the shootout, and he's not satisfied with just one point. He's also very supportive of the team, and very willing to offer up compliments to the team around him, which I think is a great thing.

I would like him to work with Andy a bit, to work on how he communicates with the team during games, and just little things. But this kid has a future, and has serious attitude (which I love).

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
If Lehner was on the stats page he would be second in the league at 2nd with a .946 only behind Anderson and would be in 3rd with a GAA of 1.90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad