GDT: Thomas Had Never Seen Such a Mess: Devils @ Sabres, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Kill Greene all you want but does ANY captain or player for that matter actually mouth off to the press? Hockey players are notorious for giving the boring run of the mill quotes, dont know why people think Greene is gonna explode out of nowhere. I’m sure he says what he needs to when cameras aren’t rolling.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Yes when your captain just sits there and shrugs his shoulders and says “meh we have to play better “ after an epic beat down like that...
That’s pathetic and not a way to show the kids how to be hungry and not accept losing

Reactions: Whaddagoal

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Kill Greene all you want but does ANY captain or player for that matter actually mouth off to the press? Hockey players are notorious for giving the boring run of the mill quotes, dont know why people think Greene is gonna explode out of nowhere. I’m sure he says what he needs to when cameras aren’t rolling.

I'm not...it's never Greene or Hall the supposed leaders you hear calling these team meetings or saying something when the team ***** the bed, it's always the darn role players like Boyle, Lovejoy and Stafford that have to play bad cop around here.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I have nothing to back it up, just conjecture.....

A lot of the same things were said about Sal and now everyone wants him to be a coach after hearing him be more candid as a broadcaster.

We don’t know what goes on in the room. Plus I think it’s a bit of a Lou hold over mentality. Wanting that drama free “jeter-type” that always says the right thing and is really collected and political.

Reactions: devilsblood

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
This fanbase is always talking about old times, which is as annoying as watching the team lose and knowing what the problem is but watching a gm sit on his hands and do nothing to fix it

I like reminiscing.... More i was saying the season is so bad in dec we are already going back 8 years to some rosier days.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Hard to assess in a blow out, but the PP AT times was effective. When a player was skating himself into a 1v1vboards or 2v2 situation like they love to do, the PP blew up. BUT, when they moved it briskly and Gusev was the half wall or BRatt was on the half wall, they were getting looks and keeping it simple. Small steps.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm not...it's never Greene or Hall the supposed leaders you hear calling these team meetings or saying something when the team ***** the bed, it's always the darn role players like Boyle, Lovejoy and Stafford that have to play bad cop around here.

None of those guys have ever said anything fiery or off brand.

It’s usually the older guys from the old regime giving the real bland takes. Greene and Zajac never have anything good to say.

At least guys like Subban or Cory weren’t afraid to be candid about their own play when they stunk.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
hf in a nutshell:

5133165.jpg

at a certain point (probably next year) hall will play for a competent team, either here or elsewhere. and the puck will start going in, and he’ll look fine. and i’ll come back in here and ask how he found his mythological lost step, but by that time you will all have moved onto the next echo chamber argument (probably something about a 4th liner, if i had to guess). round and round

He can't be the reincarnation of Gretzky somewhere else... he's not even Taylor Hall in New Jersey.

Edit: Couldn't of picked a better post to change my username!

Reactions: mtnet

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
A lot of the same things were said about Sal and now everyone wants him to be a coach after hearing him be more candid as a broadcaster.

We don’t know what goes on in the room. Plus I think it’s a bit of a Lou hold over mentality. Wanting that drama free “jeter-type” that always says the right thing and is really collected and political.

Need some visible anger in their demeanor.... Right now, for me.

I agree, with you though, we don't know anything that goes on behind the scenes.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
How long can Shero just let this disgrace continue? This is deeply embarrassing to the franchise.

Reactions: Auto Pilot

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Jack Hughes is very important to this team is what I’ve learned watching these past two games and I want him as far away from Hynes as soon as possible.

EDIT. I’m not sure I can call them games. Trouncings. Disasters. Thrashings. All those feel better.

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The fun ended after game 4 last season after that hot start. Keith reverted back into a pumpkin and Cory was awful. Hynes turtle system came back into full force and it hasn’t left.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The most heartbreaking thing about this team is what has happened to Nico, Bratt, Zacha, and Smith. Other teams get to watch their top prospects turn into stars. We just get kicked in the balls.

Not sure what Smith has to do with anything. The majority of his draft peers, including guys taken well before him did not make their NHL team.

Nico and Bratt having down years in a bad system isby a reason to toss them into the rubbish bin. It’s beyond beyond foolish to dismiss 19 and 20 year olds right now.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I think part of the reason the team has no standouts to speak up at this point relates to them collectively no longer buying into whatever Hynes and crew are selling.

If anything, the only thing they look united in is dogging it out there until something changes. These past two games managed to lower the bar to new depths.

Players look dejected and disgusted, but seem altogether unable to steer themselves out of it. These past two games just seem like they had more of a toxic vibe to them.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Maybe. I am not totally convinced we will see wholesale better results. Especially since guys are very soon going to be sold off.

It’s not easy to get guys to buy back in after you get to this point. At least not right away. Not unless you bring in a Hall of Fame coach

I think once they start to believe they can win you'll see a turn around. These guys don't like losing. They'll be happy to work hard and buy in once they realize they don't really suck this bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad