Votes: 10 3.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 55 19.5%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 15 5.3%

• Total voters

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Winnipeg just get eliminated, where Habs pick with Jets pick?
It's officially between 24th and 27th.

When any one of Florida, Vancouver, and Dallas don't make the conference finals, the pick fall one notch, starting from 27th. So far I'm most worried about Florida. Hard to see Toronto or Boston beating them. Hopefully Vegas or the Avs take care of Dallas, and the Oilers or Preds take care of Vancouver.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
That's why the term exists. It excludes SK, australia and NZ and Japan from "south ". And includes everything that is African, SA, etc. It's a broad term to englobe countries that were once considered "third world".
Japan and Sk are in the North and Australia and NZ are in the South. So confused.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal

When any one of Florida, Vancouver, and Dallas don't make the conference finals, the pick fall one notch, starting from 27th. So far I'm most worried about Florida. Hard to see Toronto or Boston beating them. Hopefully Vegas or the Avs take care of Dallas, and the Oilers or Preds take care of Vancouver.
it wont make that big of a difference 24-27. Basically, at that point projections are often off. Hate that one time every few years where you miss out on someone good by 1-2 spots, but often the consensus “we missed out” were lucky misses.

In the end, we got two additional firsts for the pleasure of having Monohan. May our luck continue, and we use the pick to get something good!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
it wont make that big of a difference 24-27. Basically, at that point projections are often off. Hate that one time every few years where you miss out on someone good by 1-2 spots, but often the consensus “we missed out” were lucky misses.

In the end, we got two additional firsts for the pleasure of having Monohan. May our luck continue, and we use the pick to get something good!
For some reason it feels easier to move up from 24th than 27th, and even 25th. But that's probably more psychological than factual.

At any rate, 25th seems realistic. 24th will be difficult because of Florida. Those Panthers really want to play hard to screw up our 1st round picks every playoffs.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Japan and Sk are in the North and Australia and NZ are in the South. So confused.
Stop thinking of the equator and you might understand. Global south is a term used to replace the term third world countries. It doesn't mean all countries to the south of the equator (aus and nz) and it doesn't mean all countries to the "south" like South Korea. It's an anglo-saxon term, which pretty much means anything south of us /Australia nz sa sk and Japan.

My prior wording was confusing I guess, it is late lol.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
But Romanov did though, and are they far off each other in value? Both were 22 when they got traded, similar production, similar player styles, similar everything.

I understand Romanovs trade may have been a "high cost" for what he was at the time but it did pay out for the Isles. They got a cost controlled top 4 D. The same could happen for Struble, but they have to find someone crazy enough to gamble on it like Lou did. The pick would also be 5 spots later, and you'd add a third.

I guess Lou ain't doing that a second time, or is he? Lmao.
The closest D-man we have to Romanov is Xhekaj. Similar offense, maybe Romanov slightly better defense but Xhekaj even more physical. Durability goes to Romanov by far though.

I do see some similarities from Struble but hw will need to prove he can keep it up one more year. Currently he would yield an early 2nd rounder.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The closest D-man we have to Romanov is Xhekaj. Similar offense, maybe Romanov slightly better defense but Xhekaj even more physical. Durability goes to Romanov by far though.

I do see some similarities from Struble but hw will need to prove he can keep it up one more year. Currently he would yield an early 2nd rounder.

Arber is much bigger, meaner and has better hands and offensive upside.

Struble is the closest comparison to Romanov imo.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I would love to take a power forward with the jets pick, regardless of who we take at #5. Invest in some size/skating while we're picking in the top two rounds

Reactions: Rozz

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Just for the fun of it,

Beckett Sennecke - 2023-2024 season

First 33 Games- 11 G, 17 A- 28 Points (0.85 pt/gm)

Next 30 Games- 16 G, 24 A- 40 Points (1.33 pt/gm)

13 Playoff Games- 8 G, 11 A- 19 Points (1.46 pt/gm)

The think with Sennecke is that Bob McKenzie already had him at 19th in his mid season rankings in January before he really took off in the second half. I would not be shocked in the least bit if he's somewhere between 12th-15th in his final rankings. A lot of scouts love these late risers.

If you guys would have the choice between Greentree and Sennecke, who do you pick?

There are some very good prospects that will fall to the second half of the first round.

Last edited:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

Can't be 24th. Jets finished 4th in the league and the Rangers or Canes will win their division so it's 26 or 27 at this point I think.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Had a busy day yesterday and didn't get a chance to watch or even follow WU18 hockey. Just looking at boxscores and I noticed Eiserman only had 1 assist in USA's 9-4 over Finland. How was his overall play? Looks like Hagens and Stiga carried the offensive production

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
It’s not just about the playoffs, which is extremely impressive. Just watch him full stop. Not a lot of 6’3 forwards with that speed and skill.
And he is still adjusting to a frame that grew 5 inches in less than two years. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Plus he got and better and better during the year. His playoffs success isn’t some sudden thing.
Yup. Big impact on his team too as Oshawa surged up the standings when Sennecke took off in January. He was dealing with an injury first half of the season as well.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Sennecke is the new flavor lf the week i see.

Complete non sense in the top 8
It's more than just flavour of the week. That sounds like what some said about Slaf and McTavish.

Some other posters and I have been talking about Sennecke since long before the playoffs. He was #19 on Bobby Mac's list in January. He has been a major impact player for Oshawa since January. He was impressive in the CHL Prospects game. Amazing skills in a frame that has been in perpetual growth spurt and that he is still adjusting to. Playing great in the playoffs when it counts the most, it's harder to get space and you're playing against better teams as the fat has been trimmed out of playoffs.

His climb is similar to Scheifele in his draft year...maybe more impressive. I don't think the Jets have ever regretted taking Scheifele at #7 overall. He might go #1 in a re-draft.

So many here have PTSD because of KK. Upward trajectory in a player's draft year is a good thing.

Reactions: Leto and SlafySZN

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Those Monahan transactions are real wacky.

RANDOM HF MEMBER: How so, Habs Icing?

Well, allow me to tell you. The Habs will exercise the 1st round pick (Calgary/Florida) they got for taking Moneyhands after they exercised the 1st pick (Winnipeg) they got for trading him away. It's almost like K.H. watched Pulp Fiction and told himself I like that non-linear timeline and will apply it in my business transactions.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If Sennecke keeps up at this pace he may not be available at 5

If he isn't then Demidov or Lindstrom are. It's always a good thing if someone plays themselves up into the conversation, rather than people falling out of it.

Soo, Sennecke is a option at 5 or 6, right?

If he keeps the progression up throughout the playoffs, yes. I know we all dunk on Grant, myself included, but he does still have connections (through Timmins, obviously).

Would that really be a bad thing though?

He might have just rightfully played his way into the convo

No, it's not a bad thing at all.

This is a similar phenomenon to what happened with Kirby Dach. You get drafted at 5'10, then you hit a massive growth spurt in a few months go to 6'2 (though Dach went from like 5'9 to 6'4), and you are so uncoordinated you're like a puppy with big paws.

That's why Sennecke was rated very highly early with modest production. Now the production is coming and his coordination is starting to come into play.

The recency biaises are going crazy right now : if you read this board, now Iginla will go 1OA and Sennecke 2OA :D

These aren't fan driven though, they are coming from those around the scouting community. Sennecke was always highly regarded prior to the production.

Sennecke is the new flavor lf the week i see.

Complete non sense in the top 8

Dude you'd love him if you watched him. Big, skilled, gets inside.

Just for the fun of it,

Beckett Sennecke - 2023-2024 season

First 33 Games- 11 G, 17 A- 28 Points (0.85 pt/gm)

Next 30 Games- 16 G, 24 A- 40 Points (1.33 pt/gm)

13 Playoff Games- 8 G, 11 A- 19 Points (1.46 pt/gm)

The think with Sennecke is that Bob McKenzie already had him at 19th in his mid season rankings in January before he really took off in the second half. I would not be shocked in the least bit if he's somewhere between 12th-15th in his final rankings. A lot of scouts love these late risers.

If you guys would have the choice between Greentree and Sennecke, who do you pick?

There are some very good prospects that will fall to the second half of the first round.

Sennecke's skating alone sets him apart from Greentree.

It's more than just flavour of the week. That sounds like what some said about Slaf and McTavish.

Some other posters and I have been talking about Sennecke since long before the playoffs. He was #19 on Bobby Mac's list in January. He has been a major impact player for Oshawa since January. He was impressive in the CHL Prospects game. Amazing skills in a frame that has been in perpetual growth spurt and that he is still adjusting to. Playing great in the playoffs when it counts the most, it's harder to get space and you're playing against better teams as the fat has been trimmed out of playoffs.

His climb is similar to Scheifele in his draft year...maybe more impressive. I don't think the Jets have ever regretted taking Scheifele at #7 overall. He might go #1 in a re-draft.

So many here have PTSD because of KK. Upward trajectory in a player's draft year is a good thing.

This is a great post.

We know the Habs love late risers, as do most teams. If you've got someone on a steep upward trajectory and the athletic and skill profile is high, along with a guy who is playing between the dots, has great short area skill and is problem solving at a high level?

Imagine what they think they could do with him in the hands of Adam Nicholas?

One funny thing is that a lot of the posters bemoaning the late rise of Sennecke have been supporters of the late rise of Iginla. What's the difference here? They were both considered mid/late 1st rounders coming into the year and through the first half. I would wager Iginla's last name carries some bias.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
If he isn't then Demidov or Lindstrom are. It's always a good thing if someone plays themselves up into the conversation, rather than people falling out of it.

If he keeps the progression up throughout the playoffs, yes. I know we all dunk on Grant, myself included, but he does still have connections (through Timmins, obviously).

No, it's not a bad thing at all.

This is a similar phenomenon to what happened with Kirby Dach. You get drafted at 5'10, then you hit a massive growth spurt in a few months go to 6'2 (though Dach went from like 5'9 to 6'4), and you are so uncoordinated you're like a puppy with big paws.

That's why Sennecke was rated very highly early with modest production. Now the production is coming and his coordination is starting to come into play.

These aren't fan driven though, they are coming from those around the scouting community. Sennecke was always highly regarded prior to the production.

Dude you'd love him if you watched him. Big, skilled, gets inside.

Sennecke's skating alone sets him apart from Greentree.

This is a great post.

We know the Habs love late risers, as do most teams. If you've got someone on a steep upward trajectory and the athletic and skill profile is high, along with a guy who is playing between the dots, has great short area skill and is problem solving at a high level?

Imagine what they think they could do with him in the hands of Adam Nicholas?

One funny thing is that a lot of the posters bemoaning the late rise of Sennecke have been supporters of the late rise of Iginla. What's the difference here? They were both considered mid/late 1st rounders coming into the year and through the first half. I would wager Iginla's last name carries some bias.

But to pick him in front of Lindstrom or Iginla? No for me.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I know these are just stats but USA's GF:GA in the U18 is an eye catching 33:7 and Eiserman is an even 0 in terms of +/- throughout the tournament (easy schedule for USA) and was minus-1 vs Finland yesterday. Another Cole on Team USA (Hutson) is +11.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Had a busy day yesterday and didn't get a chance to watch or even follow WU18 hockey. Just looking at boxscores and I noticed Eiserman only had 1 assist in USA's 9-4 over Finland. How was his overall play? Looks like Hagens and Stiga carried the offensive production

That's not encouraging

Those Monahan transactions are real wacky.

RANDOM HF MEMBER: How so, Habs Icing?

Well, allow me to tell you. The Habs will exercise the 1st round pick (Calgary/Florida) we got for taking Moneyhands after they exercised the 1st pick (Winnipeg) they got for trading him away. It's almost like K.H. watched Pulp Fiction and told himself I like that non-linear timeline and will apply it in my business transactions.

Kent Tarentino

1000002757.png

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I love the few hockey I've seen from Sennecke, enough at least to get excited if we take him. He's got the size and skating combo teams dream of and if his game translates, it will be hard for him to miss

I'd say he and Iginla are in a very close tier and he might surpass him the further I see him play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad