GDT: Thomas Had Never Seen Such a Mess: Devils @ Sabres, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
All the rationalizing about luck, shooting percentages, goaltending, low-event hockey, etc. that's going to happen.

You're not this bad without something structurally wrong in the organization. The team absolutely needs a culture shift, which is hilarious considering the one thing the team had going for it when Lou was done was its tough to play against reputation.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Because Lemaire isn’t available. There isn’t an all time great parachuting in.

It will be like Hydra was, which was not many gameplan changes and playing out the string.

Quite frankly I don't think there's another coach out there who even really understands what the hell Hynes is trying to do or why. I mean, there are so many things fundamentally wrong with how Hynes is coaching the team to play that you can't help but change the "system".

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
His skating is not fine. His play driving is not there. I am shocked you can’t see it.

hf in a nutshell:

5133165.jpg

at a certain point (probably next year) hall will play for a competent team, either here or elsewhere. and the puck will start going in, and he’ll look fine. and i’ll come back in here and ask how he found his mythological lost step, but by that time you will all have moved onto the next echo chamber argument (probably something about a 4th liner, if i had to guess). round and round

Reactions: HBK27

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Quite frankly I don't think there's another coach out there who even really understands what the hell Hynes is trying to do or why. I mean, there are so many things fundamentally wrong with how Hynes is coaching the team to play that you can't help but change the "system".

Any system is better than this one, right now.

Reactions: Tretyak 20

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
23-3-2 for Heaven's sake. I forgot it was really *that* impressive.

I think clearly Hynes would've been long gone with any other GM at this point.

The moment that sticks out to me is Ansi Salmela scoring a goal against the Islanders in overtime during that run... top shelf.. unbelievable. One of the loudest pops I've ever heard in that arena.

Reactions: NJDevils7

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

They most likely just have them play something simple, and the results should get better because they legit can’t get worse.

I just wouldn’t expect anything earth shattering.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
The entire coaching staff top to bottom needs to be scrapped and replaced with someone that has zero ties to this team or Shero so they can give an honest assessment.

The whole team needs to be deprogrammed of Hynes hockey, stripped down bare and built back up starting with basic fundamentals. I don't care who the interim is it just needs to happen sooner then later, get these kids some confidence back and play out the string until we can hire a permanent coach.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
All the rationalizing about luck, shooting percentages, goaltending, low-event hockey, etc. that's going to happen.

You're not this bad without something structurally wrong in the organization. The team absolutely needs a culture shift, which is hilarious considering the one thing the team had going for it when Lou was done was its tough to play against reputation.

I can assure you this was probably the easiest team to play against in Lou’s final years unless Schneider was lights out that particular night.

Reactions: Emperoreddy

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
It really is a cruel joke after the offseason we had - nabbing Lil ':eek::eek::eek::eek:y, subban and all..

Clearly - the players have talent on paper, in a vacuum - but Hynes has no idea how to make that translate into a team that plays together. And truly there's no one taking care of their own business right now.

The culture sucks, there are too many chaotic high event players on defense that aren't as good as their rep, our goaltending situation sucks, and clearly there's an elephant in the room with the Hall thing.

Shero needs to get off his ass *today* and DO something.

Reactions: HBK27 and Dialamo

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Well before 2012 we did. That culture didn’t exist after the lockout. The teams were poorly coached and really bad.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
They most likely just have them play something simple, and the results should get better because they legit can’t get worse.

I just wouldn’t expect anything earth shattering.

Exactly. Just going back to structured hockey played by the book will make a big difference. Not enough to talk about playoffs - that's been out of reach for a month - but they would at least be competitive.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
The moment that sticks out to me is Ansi Salmela scoring a goal against the Islanders in overtime during that run... top shelf.. unbelievable. One of the loudest pops I've ever heard in that arena.

I distinctly remember that particular play too - the whole thing was wild. All based on simply buying in to a style of play, and then building momentum.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Sitting at the UC watching the Hawks, they're so similar to us. Offense comes in spurts but otherwise non existant. They're lost in the neutral zone and the Blues gain entry anyway they want. Goaltending isnt enough to bail out the mistakes

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Exactly. Just going back to structured hockey played by the book will make a big difference. Not enough to talk about playoffs - that's been out of reach for a month - but they would at least be competitive.

Maybe. I am not totally convinced we will see wholesale better results. Especially since guys are very soon going to be sold off.

It’s not easy to get guys to buy back in after you get to this point. At least not right away. Not unless you bring in a Hall of Fame coach

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Greene as captain has been a utter disaster. I honestly still feel some of this mess is on him too, although its purely speculative.

Just seems a bad combo of doesnt give 3 f***s when they play bad, and this was before tonight, all season. He may have played better this season personally, but team results and team resiliency is awful.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
There is some really bad revisionist history going on about Pete and Lou’s final years.

We were icing toilet paper lineups that were easy to beat barring s Cory miracle.

team was old, slow and had zero skill, it was a much more hopeless situation back then. This is just infuriating because there’s talent but a horrific coach who the GM won’t dare get rid of.

Reactions: Oneiro

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Greene as captain has been a utter disaster. I honestly still feel some of this mess is on him too, although its purely speculative.

Just seems a bad combo of doesnt give 3 ****s when they play bad, and this was before tonight, all season. He may have played better this season personally, but team results and team resiliency is awful.

I would wager he very much gives a shit, but he is really mild-mannered. Especially to the press.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

I distinctly remember that particular play too - the whole thing was wild. All based on simply buying in to a style of play, and then building momentum.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Key word is.. WAS.

You know, Back then. Sigh. This season is toast and we are back to talking about old times. Jesus.
This fanbase is always talking about old times, which is as annoying as watching the team lose and knowing what the problem is but watching a gm sit on his hands and do nothing to fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad