Thomas Chabot - The league's newest super star D-man?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Really cool to see him light it up. I was probably one of his biggest fans on this site in his draft year. Really, really liked him. People were sleeping so hard on him.

Imagine if the Bruins took Barzal, Connor and Chabot. Helluva team that would've been. But they went with Chabot's worse teammate Zboril instead. Never understood that.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Its an accident he cant keep it up its simply impossible. Only reason he is good is because he is on the sens if he goes to a real team he will be exposed. Basically if you play for the sens the only reason you are good is because they suck so much and you get all the icetime.

If he is as good as he has shown this year, then he will be traded within the next 3 or 4 years.

Yeah for sure they'll never extend a good player ever again. And then whoever trades for him will have made a huge mistake and over pay him.

Not trying to be a downer or anything but he eventually will hit a wall this year but it is all a growing experience. I think in 3 years he will be really really good.
Thanks for you in depth input on the matter. When you watch a full 60 minutes of a sens game (the leafs arent playing in) in sure we would all appreciate your updated scouting report.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Chabot was actually ranked higher on multiple draft publications. ISS had him higher on their final list. He's also higher on mynhldraft.com's consensus list which takes into account most of the mainstream lists.

Chabot was a riser. Zboril was higher initially, but come draft day Chabot was universally ranked higher. Although I get it was pretty close and certain lists had Zboril higher.
Sens former Scout Justin Murray identified him as elite as a 16 year old and had him way ahead if Zboril all season in their draft year. Then the sens fired Justin because of the budget. #pierredorion

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
theres 60 minutes a game, karlsson would play 25, that still would have left more than enough ice time for Chabot. not to mention they would play together at the most critical times anyway.

the beauty of it would be that if one had an off night you still have another all star d to get through
Hypothetically you never play them together unless you are on the pp or need a goal at the end of a period or game. But in Boucher's system they literally cant both succeed as puck movers that jump into the play. Not when they shoot different ways. So if you wanna look into why ottawa was so terrible last year that might be one of the reasons. Boucher actually forced him off his natural side as a rookie last year due to the system. In shocking fashion Chabot struggled. Now thats strong organizational prospect management. Force the best prospect in the org to play out of position for the system... Yeah the sens need a new coach. Well owner GM and coach or the pundits in this thread will be right he will be gone before his 27th birthday

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Not trying to be a downer or anything but he eventually will hit a wall this year but it is all a growing experience. I think in 3 years he will be really really good.

Awww we gotta wait 3 years until he's really good? :(

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We're not salty. We have an incredible pool of talent.

You?
Well based on the track record in this thread and many others the elite level of talent the leafs possess doesnt appear to affect the amount of salt leaf fans display. Much like this thread when another player does well we are bombarded by fans of the blue and white telling is how its luck or the player is no good. It appears to happen most with other canadian teams or ones that are 2 hours away on the QEW. With such a talented team in Toronto its a little suprising as anyone that follows hockey can identify how promising the group of players is that the leafs have. However i guess if my team hadnt won a playoff series in a decade id be insecure too.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Haha really? Karlsson has changed the way defencemen are perceived and play the game? Care to elaborate on that? Sooooooo......he's different to, err, Orr, Coffey, Lidstrom, umm....what exactly does he do that a d man hasn't done before?
I mean...he's a fantastic player (or was until he moved to San Jose), but I'm interested to know what makes EK such a different beast in the NHL to those who've gone before him.

You ever watch hockey before bro?

Reactions: jehkob

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lol, Chabot could become really good but I doubt he hits the levels of Erik Karlsson.

Yea, Karlsson is generational. He could have had 4 Norris' trophies and has put up offensive seasons unheard of.

Chabot could be a franchise defender but chances of becoming generational are very slim. If he wins 2 Norris trophies in the next 4-5 years then we can talk for now, lol, he's closer to Klingberg than he is to Karlsson.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
Its an accident he cant keep it up its simply impossible. Only reason he is good is because he is on the sens if he goes to a real team he will be exposed. Basically if you play for the sens the only reason you are good is because they suck so much and you get all the icetime.

Yeah for sure they'll never extend a good player ever again. And then whoever trades for him will have made a huge mistake and over pay him.

Thanks for you in depth input on the matter. When you watch a full 60 minutes of a sens game (the leafs arent playing in) in sure we would all appreciate your updated scouting report.
This is absolute gold

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Yea, Karlsson is generational. He could have had 4 Norris' trophies and has put up offensive seasons unheard of.

Chabot could be a franchise defender but chances of becoming generational are very slim. If he wins 2 Norris trophies in the next 4-5 years then we can talk for now, lol, he's closer to Klingberg than he is to Karlsson.

I get what you're saying, but his last like 3-4 seasons are more like karlssons than klingbergs in terms of accomplishments and development age for age.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I get what you're saying, but his last like 3-4 seasons are more like karlssons than klingbergs in terms of accomplishments and development age for age.

Yea of course. But we can't jump the gun regardless. I think Chabot's ceiling is as high as any defender but what Karlsson did was absolutely special and unheard of. Maybe Chabot will be like Doughty.

I compare Chabot a lot to Josi and Doughty without the physicality.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
His hockey IQ appears through the roof. His skating is excellent, his gap control (so far) has been stellar, he's got a disgusting first pass, a cannon of a shot from the point. Really, the only thing he's missing when compared to a young Karlsson is the blazing speed, but everything else is accounted for big time.

Man...this kid is something special.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Happy for sens fans. Hope exists. I really wish they had theit 1st rounder, but even still they have some bright spots.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Yea of course. But we can't jump the gun regardless. I think Chabot's ceiling is as high as any defender but what Karlsson did was absolutely special and unheard of. Maybe Chabot will be like Doughty.

I compare Chabot a lot to Josi and Doughty without the physicality.

I think they're different players. You can already tell chabot is a better skater than doughty. Better with the puck. But doughty is more well rounded obviously. I would just never expect doughty to be able to lead a team in points with 20 in 15. He just doesn't have that offensive game.

Speaking of unheard of. Remember karlssons first Norris season how he was the first to do x since player x all season?

Chabot is the first D to get 20 points in first 15 games since Brian leetch.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Hahahaha. Chabot is nowhere near Provorov defensively or overall

Overall includes offense...chabot has like 3 times as many points already. I'd like to see the numbers that show provorov is 3 times better defensively lol

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Overall includes offense...chabot has like 3 times as many points already. I'd like to see the numbers that show provorov is 3 times better defensively lol
15% shooting, 30% of points primary.

Small sample size, unsustainable output

Vs proven #1D in the top 10-15 range.

I don't need to prove anything. By your logic Morgan Rielly is >>>>> Doughty and Hedman

Reactions: 42

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad