Thomas Chabot - The league's newest super star D-man?

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Of course his numbers are unstainable.

Kid is still a stud and on his way to becoming a Norris contender.
Obviously not at that rate, but wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 60-70 pts if he plays a full season.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Obviously not at that rate, but wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 60-70 pts if he plays a full season.

I'd be pretty surprised to be honest.

These are the top rookie seasons of all-time:

76 - Larry Murphy, Los Angeles, 1980-81. 80 game schedule
71 - Brian Leetch, NY Rangers, 1988-89. 80 game schedule
68 - Gary Suter, Calgary, 1985-86. 80 game schedule
66 - Phil Housley, Buffalo, 1982-83. 80 game schedule
65 - Raymond Bourque, Boston, 1979-80. 80 game schedule
64 - Chris Chelios, Montreal, 1984-85. 80 game schedu

And they all took place in the 80s.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
might as well enjoy him for the next 1.5 years, then he is going to need a raise and we know how well those conversations go in ottawa

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
I wish TSN would not blackout other games. Would love to watch him play.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Chabot is good, but he wasn't any better than Dermott at the U20s, and will likely have a similar career arc. He is the beneficiary of a lot of luck and a lot of TOI on a bad team right now.

Any other poster and Id laugh cause this would be a good sarcastic post but since its you I know you're 100% serious.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'd be pretty surprised to be honest.

These are the top rookie seasons of all-time:

76 - Larry Murphy, Los Angeles, 1980-81. 80 game schedule
71 - Brian Leetch, NY Rangers, 1988-89. 80 game schedule
68 - Gary Suter, Calgary, 1985-86. 80 game schedule
66 - Phil Housley, Buffalo, 1982-83. 80 game schedule
65 - Raymond Bourque, Boston, 1979-80. 80 game schedule
64 - Chris Chelios, Montreal, 1984-85. 80 game schedu

And they all took place in the 80s.

Chabot isn't a rookie though...

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'll enjoy the grace period before the Orr comparisons.

Honestly though, I kinda feel good for Sens fans with his emergence. After the nightmare they've gone through, this has to be some level of relief.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I think most folks knew Chabot was gonna be good. Definitely something the team needed. Can be a cornerstone of that defense for a long time if he continues to develop.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Not saying he isn’t better, but just because Werenski has been dominating for three years prior doesn’t take anything away from what Chabot is currenrly doing right now.

If you’re talking about legacy and career, sure- up to this point Werenski has a much, much better track record.

In 11-12’ when Karlsson put up 78 points, he had somewhere in the 40’s the year prior. I’m sure there were a lot of defensemen in that year that blasted his 40 point total, but how other players and himself performed in the past doesn’t have anything to do with the player he is now. (Again, unless we’re talking career legacy)

If someone has this career arc:

Year 1: 10 points
Year 2: 13 points
Year 3: 12 points
Year 4: 50 points
Year 5: 53 points

That player is a 50 point player. Despite how he preformed earlier on in his career.

I’m going to reserve judgement until the end of the season, but the kid sure is fun to watch.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Not saying he isn’t better, but just because Werenski has been dominating for three years prior doesn’t take anything away from what Chabot is currenrly doing right now.

If you’re talking about legacy and career, sure- up to this point Werenski has a much, much better track record.

In 11-12’ when Karlsson put up 78 points, he had somewhere in the 40’s the year prior. I’m sure there were a lot of defensemen in that year that blasted his 40 point total, but how other players and himself performed in the past doesn’t have anything to do with the player he is now. (Again, unless we’re talking career legacy)

If someone has this career arc:

Year 1: 10 points
Year 2: 13 points
Year 3: 12 points
Year 4: 50 points
Year 5: 53 points

That player is a 50 point player. Despite how he preformed earlier on in his career.

I’m going to reserve judgement until the end of the season, but the kid sure is fun to watch.

Great post.

It's the exact same case as say Brayden Point, who got off to a late start, but is now easily better than many other 2014 draft picks.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Not making any predictions, but I remember him playing great for Canada at the WJC. Complete opposite of Cowen at the WJC 10 years ago, who looked awful out there.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
1+1 today bruh what? Who dis guy? Out of nowhere. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
He was always a promising prospect, just figured it would be more likely he'd end up as Cowen or Ceci than Karlsson. Thomas Khabot.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Chabot is good, but he wasn't any better than Dermott at the U20s, and will likely have a similar career arc. He is the beneficiary of a lot of luck and a lot of TOI on a bad team right now.

I'm replying because I know you're serious, and this is comedy gold. Dermott will be lucky to secure a top 4 role on any team, meanwhile Chabot casually top 5 league-wide scoring as a #1 d-man....due to luck?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Great post.

It's the exact same case as say Brayden Point, who got off to a late start, but is now easily better than many other 2014 draft picks.

The thing is, Chabot was seen as a blue chip prospect prior to last year. He was ranked 2 or 3 in the THN Future Watch (I get, not an exact science) and was the first defenseman to win the MVP at the World Junior Championship. Dorion was trying to call the guy up for the 16-17 playoff run, but the Senators didn't meet the emergency call up requirements to be able to take him out of the QMJHL.

He lost a lot of hype last season because of Boucher's usage of him. He was top 4 ready last season. Boucher famously didn't want to "feed a baby steak". Boucher was also clinging on to his previous system that he no longer fit his personnel. That system featuring a puck carrier on the right side and a hard nosed D who steps up on the left side. Boucher idiotically put players like Chabot and Claesson on their opposite side because they didn't fit the role of the left hand D in his system. This created a steeper learning curve in the NHL for Chabot that partly sabotaged his rookie season. He still managed to put up 25 points in 63 games.

I guess it's fair to say he is breaking out later than those other guys, but I guess what I am trying to establish is that he was ready last year to be a good #3-4 D, and it's mainly circumstance that resulted in Chabot temporarily losing a lot of the hype he previously had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad