Management 1 PM May 22nd - Charlie, Cam, Don and Monty address media - NESN

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Wednesday, May 22 at 1 p.m. (TD Garden, Boston, MA)
- End of season press conference with CEO and Alternate Governor Charlie Jacobs, President Cam Neely, General Manager Don Sweeney and Head Coach Jim Montgomery

- Media should enter through back security and proceed to Legends Club on Level 3

- Light refreshments will be provided to the media​

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The 2011 Cup. He was VP since 2007 and then President from June 2010 onwards. Does that mean he had much of a role in putting together what ultimately became the 2011 roster? Probably not. But he was there in senior positions, and presumably had some say, if not because of his specific role then because Cam Neely the player was one of the greats of the franchise and therefore a voice that carried some weight, as it still does.

You can't quantify that credit, nor should you overstate it. But only fair to acknowledge it all the same.
I have asked this question for several years

If Sweeney was fired he would he get another NHL job but if Cam was fired would any team hire him?

Neely was supposed to be the public face of the team but Felger knew what buttons to push and Cam just walked away - 7 years ago.

In 2024 the Bruins Media is soft as nobody dares to ask Charlie Jacobs a hard question.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The 2011 Cup. He was VP since 2007 and then President from June 2010 onwards. Does that mean he had much of a role in putting together what ultimately became the 2011 roster? Probably not. But he was there in senior positions, and presumably had some say, if not because of his specific role then because Cam Neely the player was one of the greats of the franchise and therefore a voice that carried some weight, as it still does.

You can't quantify that credit, nor should you overstate it. But only fair to acknowledge it all the same.
Chiarelli had 100 percent control of hockey ops. It was in his contract when they signed him.

The only thing Neely could do was fire Chiarelli and eventually did.

Sweeney does not have the same control Chiarelli did.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I don't think the Leafs can afford Debrusk? Not without trading one of the big 4...
That's got to be part of their plan either way

You might not have to worry about DeBrusk much longer...

They're always interested in everyone and will tell you everyone really wants to play there. . .

If the media and negative talk got him down in Boston, whoo boy he would not be a happy camper in Toronto .

Last edited:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
And this should be ok. Sweeney is the reason many of these guys are here and I would like to see him see it through, They made a cup in 19 and won three rounds the next five years. I saw alot of the "one team wins the cup" last year and then "team went further than anyone expected" this year. I think it's ok to say they have underachieved at times. Bottom line you need to win when you're game 7 home ice in the SCF and when you are the best regular season team that has ever played the game. I don't think it's wrong to say that and have expected more. The Bruins have a series win rate of 60% when they are the better seed and 20% when they are a lower seed and neither seems anything special.
Yeah looking back on the Sweeney tenure I think you can say there has been a lot of underachievement, as much as I love and appreciate watching playoff hockey I want to watch more than a round or two.
It's hard to decide if the blame should be placed on Sweeney or the players sometimes because he's built some good rosters who just can't get it done.

It must be extremely deflating when this team struggles on home ice, I know it is watching from home, I imagine the players (and especially the fans at the game) feel the same. They gotta figure it out sometime, with the atmosphere they have at the game there is no excuse to continually blow it at home.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
That's got to be part of their plan either way
I think Marner gets moved, they're probably stuck with Tavares' contract.

Marner would be great in a place like Columbus. No media circus, no playoffs. Play your 82 games under the radar putting up good points and go golfing in April. Seems to be his speed.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Can we possibly bring another set of eyes in to help this front office. I feel like this front office, scouting group and some coaches have such a high level of nepotism and like minded guys who have been brought up in the organization that we need a different viewpoint somehow.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Many of the coaches I mentioned are already employed. I did so to illustrate what I would want in a coach. Defense first. Down the middle of equal importance.Great goaltending, which they have. Everything else flows from that.

Look at any of the coaches that I mentioned, and they have one thing in common. Structure. I don't think Jim Montgomery is a structure coach.

I think that he is, at least at present, an excellent assistant coach.

Offense first. (Quality shots over quantity, which worked in the regular season, but not in the playoffs); no defensive structure.

Zdeno Chara would be head and shoulders above Don Sweeney as GM.

If you know anything about him, he is a fierce competitor and voracious sponge of knowledge. (He took a course at Harvard too.)

Not like Brad, but he will do anything to win. He came to North America from Czechoslovakia, or perhaps by that time the Slovak Republic, which, in itself, was an impressive leap of faith.

He's also an extremely intelligent individual. I believe he knows something like seven languages, something crazy like that.

Beyond that, he trained with his wrestling coach father to become a technically superior fighter and physical defender in the NHL.

When he first came into the league, everyone laughed because he was a gangly giraffe.

Yet, much like Terry O'Reilly, Z *made himself an elite NHL player.* He had a chip on his shoulder. Zdeno is an extremely, extremely competitive person.

He wanted to prove the detractors wrong.

And he did. With class.

He is, to my knowledge, a fantastic human being, who remains an ultimate athletic competitor, and in every other way a striving individual who seeks excellence in all he does.

It has now been a few years since Chara retired.

Do you want to know what his diet was in the latter years of his career?

Plants and seeds.

I kid you not.

Always at the forefront of diet, nutrition, exercise. Let's run a few marathons to maintain a goal oriented perspective. And, you know, for fun.

Chara understands the value of physicality as well as speed and skill; understands what it takes to win and, as Mark Messier would say, the importance of imposing your will on the opponent.

Again, Z has a burning desire to win, and to be the best.

He is relentless.

As captain of the Bruins, he mandated that teammates would be teammates. No cliques, no rookies.

Peter Chiarell, Claude Julien, Patrice Bergeron, and many others on those BBB redux teams came together to create something special.

But no mistake. As Captain, Zdeno Chara was the man who, after initial missteps, created the "Bruins culture" we know today.

He would be a fabulous general manager.

His intelligence, passion, humility, and will to win - to say nothing of the universal regard he has earned around the NHL - speak volumes.

I hope this happens someday.

I have become very wary of former Bruins joining management but in this instance I would endorse hiring Z 100%. He's an extraordinary man as well as having been an extraordinary athlete, the kind of person it would be an honor to work for.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Any way to listen to this press conference or is it strictly only on NESN?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Four (4) teams went further this year than the Bruins did. In a retool year with no cap room.

I guess it’s better than all the blow it up and tank talk two years ago, but this is kind of getting ridiculous.
They probably could keep everyone and win the Prez Trophy next season with the likely improved young players

• Wow
Reactions: Bodit9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad