This team needs a shakeup

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
He's still learning. He tried to go for big hits during his first season, but as many rookie defenders do, he forgot about positioning in the process and got burned badly and frequently. Right now, he's trying to improve that positional play, and it's coming at the expense of physicality. It's a necessary, temporary tradeoff so that, in the long run, he can be physically dominant without taking himself out of position in the process.

Gotta remember that this is essentially his second season as a pro, coming off an injury that wiped out an already short NHL season. He looks really rough, but by the end of the year he could be in form, with improved positioning and reasserting his physical game.

"CanadianHockey":

Yes I agree 100% that it takes a long time to learn how to play defense in the NHL.

Reports I read say it takes 3 years + to become an NHL D-man. There are so many ways a D-man can get beat so much harder to play than a forward position.....

What I find funny on this blog is people who tell me that a rookie prospect blue liner down here will be ready to play up top by the end of the season..........................

I always liked Jarred, perhaps I am biased towards him as he came here to help Binghamton win the cup in 2011. He just looked in another class that season, so I thought he would stand out quicker up top on defense......................

I guess we will wait as he develops more this season......

WhiteLight*

"MandyAlwaysKnows":

As per Cap Geek;
"Jared Cowen is exempt from waivers."

Jared Cowen is on a 1 way deal, I doubt Ottawa would send him down to Binghamton and pay him $1.5M.....

IF he has been terrible then perhaps Coach Luke could help to get him going and being sent down could light a fire under his rear......

I always thought he would play more of a physical game, but that has Not happened with Jared...................

Yes, his one-way deal is a problem. But it wouldn't be for the whole season, so hopefully it wouldn't be too much cf a problem.

And that's my thinking. Luke can set him straight.

He's still learning. He tried to go for big hits during his first season, but as many rookie defenders do, he forgot about positioning in the process and got burned badly and frequently. Right now, he's trying to improve that positional play, and it's coming at the expense of physicality. It's a necessary, temporary tradeoff so that, in the long run, he can be physically dominant without taking himself out of position in the process.

Gotta remember that this is essentially his second season as a pro, coming off an injury that wiped out an already short NHL season. He looks really rough, but by the end of the year he could be in form, with improved positioning and reasserting his physical game.

He's a mess. Puck handling, positioning, everything. He's worse than was as a rookie.

Yes, no and NO.

Cowen is not waiver exempt. Bingo will not help him. He should be in the NHL and he obviously is struggling with the weight of expectations of holding out and sucking. He is who we think he is, and he will improve.

12 games in, let's step away from the ledge...although this is frustrating to watch.

Cowen is in fact waiver exempt. Cowen has been bumped down the lineup and is now on the 3rd pair. He's still sucking.

Zibaneajd is NOT a guy that should have been in the AHL because he has never sucked in the NHL. He's never looked out of place at all, except perhaps for a couple games against PIttsburgh in the playoffs. He's better off in the NHL to develop because of this.

Since the 2012 playoffs, Cowen has been pretty awful and looks out of place in the NHL. He is the type that can benefit from playing in the AHL.

BigBush*

Boroweicki is on a one way contract next year. Wouldn't mind him getting some games in, especially because he is a more defensive minded player

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
For me, this season is actually the first season where Neil is noticeably horrid. Some people have been saying it for awhile, but I still firmly believed he was doing more good for the team than bad.

He's slow as molasses, makes poor passes/decisions, takes brutal penalties, and really isn't doing any agitating, which is typically the bread and butter of his game. Maybe he just needs a little while to get his legs under him, but right now any line he plays on is easily the worst line on any given night.

I believe in the team, but if current trends continue, I'm all for some kind of deal to bring in an experienced, steady D who can munch some minutes on the 2nd pairing. Obviously team defense has to improve a ton, but I really think we'd benefit from a having an experienced #3D to anchor the 2nd pairing.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
For me, this season is actually the first season where Neil is noticeably horrid. Some people have been saying it for awhile, but I still firmly believed he was doing more good for the team than bad.

He's slow as molasses, makes poor passes/decisions, takes brutal penalties, and really isn't doing any agitating, which is typically the bread and butter of his game. Maybe he just needs a little while to get his legs under him, but right now any line he plays on is easily the worst line on any given night.

I believe in the team, but if current trends continue, I'm all for some kind of deal to bring in an experienced, steady D who can munch some minutes on the 2nd pairing. Obviously team defense has to improve a ton, but I really think we'd benefit from a having an experienced #3D to anchor the 2nd pairing.

Neil is just misplaced right now he should be at this point in his career be getting forth line minutes. He is not being put in much of a position to suceed. LOVE this guys HEART.

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
Turn sound off (make sure you do this first) and guess if she's talking about Sens team defense or continuous bad giveaways. :)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
"CanadianHockey":

Yes I agree 100% that it takes a long time to learn how to play defense in the NHL.

Reports I read say it takes 3 years + to become an NHL D-man. There are so many ways a D-man can get beat so much harder to play than a forward position.....

What I find funny on this blog is people who tell me that a rookie prospect blue liner down here will be ready to play up top by the end of the season..........................

I always liked Jarred, perhaps I am biased towards him as he came here to help Binghamton win the cup in 2011. He just looked in another class that season, so I thought he would stand out quicker up top on defense......................

I guess we will wait as he develops more this season......

Remember the old days when the thought was a defenceman wasn't ready until his late twenties. Now we are seeing some first rounders anyway step into the league right after they are drafted. It's changed quite a bit, same can be said for forwards. I think Cowen will be fine, he is just going through some growing pains as is the whole team & not just him. We have seen how good he can be & will be once he begins to be more consistent & his decision making improves & I think it will.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Neil is just misplaced right now he should be at this point in his career be getting forth line minutes. He is not being put in much of a position to suceed. LOVE this guys HEART.

Yes. Agree.

Neil should be used sparingly now and in the future. He could play 4th line minutes plus occasionally play in front of the net on the 2nd pp. He should probably sit against some teams to give a younger guy a chance to gain experience.

On a similar note I'd like them to sit a couple of guys for effect:

What's making it hard to sit someone right now is the Sens 23 man roster is filled up and Kassian can only play against certain teams so if they ever sit out guys like Neil, Kassian and say Greening for a game or 2 they only have Pageau and Grant. To bring new blood one or both of them would have to go down to get another player or 2 from Bingo. Some of them are not waiver exempt so if they bring them up it might be a problem sending them back.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
40+ shots against through 2 periods, maybe we can hit 50 for the second time this year.

Even though we are through the tough road trip and October we still have excuses though right?

WhiteLight*

It's the usual suspects with the awful play. The letter wearers, Spezza, Phillips and Neil. Extremely sad that these guys are the worst players night in night out.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
"Everything will be fine when they face eastern teams." :laugh:

Looks like they will let the kids on defense go through the growing pains.

Anywho we are in some serious **** tonight should prove that. Disgustingly sloppy.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
"Everything will be fine when they face eastern teams." :laugh:

Looks like they will let the kids on defense go through the growing pains.

Anywho we are in some serious **** tonight should prove that. Disgustingly sloppy.

Well . . . . technically we haven't lost in regulation to an East team yet.

*runs*

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I used to blame MURRAY, but now we know MELNYK is turning us into a Budget Team.

It's time to string him up by the balls, and loosen his purse strings! :sarcasm:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Look, for Eugene, it's either a top 4 Dman or a year's worth of product.

His decision is clear.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Yes. Agree.

Neil should be used sparingly now and in the future. He could play 4th line minutes plus occasionally play in front of the net on the 2nd pp. He should probably sit against some teams to give a younger guy a chance to gain experience.

On a similar note I'd like them to sit a couple of guys for effect:

What's making it hard to sit someone right now is the Sens 23 man roster is filled up and Kassian can only play against certain teams so if they ever sit out guys like Neil, Kassian and say Greening for a game or 2 they only have Pageau and Grant. To bring new blood one or both of them would have to go down to get another player or 2 from Bingo. Some of them are not waiver exempt so if they bring them up it might be a problem sending them back.

Neil is where good plays go to die this year.

He is one player who could bring back a good return because most teams feel they could use a tough guy who can play-like Neil used to be.

But he is a fan favourite and after losing Alfie that could be a very unpopular move.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Well . . . . technically we haven't lost in regulation to an East team yet.

*runs*

Still doesn't change anything. Only thing this team has going are a few players. Everything else has been sub par. From coaching to our vets.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
I'd rather have Carkner than Cowen at this point.

He's gotta go. Binghamton, or on the next flight out of Ottawa for a top six forward.

John Holmes*

I agree that Cowen should be sent to Binghamton. He is absolutely terrible.

I've never been in the "trade Spezza" camp, but I think it might be time to seriously consider it.

He's not a guy that can lead a team. I thought he was, but apparently I was wrong.

Ship him off in a Ryan like trade. Pick, prospect, good young player.

WhiteLight*

I agree that Cowen should be sent to Binghamton. He is absolutely terrible.

I've never been in the "trade Spezza" camp, but I think it might be time to seriously consider it.

He's not a guy that can lead a team. I thought he was, but apparently I was wrong.

Ship him off in a Ryan like trade. Pick, prospect, good young player.

Sens won't miss a beat in the standings, and will actually improve if it goes down.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Not here to troll.. just asking why you guys are giving up 45 shots a game? You guys played so well last year through all the injuries.. now with all ur stars back, you guys are worst then last year?

over confidence?
bad luck?

what's the problem?

WhiteLight*

Not here to troll.. just asking why you guys are giving up 45 shots a game? You guys played so well last year through all the injuries.. now with all ur stars back, you guys are worst then last year?

over confidence?
bad luck?

what's the problem?

I wish we was giving up 45

WhiteLight*

Overhaul*

imo

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Michalek - Smith - Zibanejad
Conacher - Spezza - Neil
Greening - Grant - Condra
Kassian