This team needs a shakeup

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Clarke MacArthur has the best corsi relative in the league after Louie Eriksson. He's a fine possession player :laugh:

Are corsi stats widely accepted now as legit?

I see what I see, if he's in the corner he's not coming out with the puck. If he is skating already with the puck on the half boards he's usually fine with puck possession, but just don't expect him to win any actual 1 on 1 battles. That being said, he's been a fine signing, every player has their flaws, I'm just pointing out what I think Macarthur's are. There are definitely a lot more players you can chastise before him. It's when you have a team full of Macarthur's in the corner is when it becomes the problem.

So there obviously has to be a problem as to why we never have the puck, and why we give up 50-60 shots in half our games.

Of course, if corsi is actually a legitimate statistic, you have more proof than I.

WhiteLight*

Clarke MacArthur has the best corsi relative in the league after Louie Eriksson. He's a fine possession player :laugh:

relative Corsi is relative to the team. The only reason he's so high is because he plays on the same team as Spezza, Neil, Phillips and Greening.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Andy starts tomorrow and PMac considering 7D via James Gordon.

This rotating goaltenders need to ****ing stop. Even though we lost last game, lehner played great game stopping 50+ shots. He should be the one starting. I am really starting to question the coachs philosophy that the best players play.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
relative Corsi is relative to the team. The only reason he's so high is because he plays on the same team as Spezza, Neil, Phillips and Greening.

To be fair, he is still right up there in Corsi On ice, so while the struggles of some of our lineup do help him, his line has been playing a very strong possession game (despite about a quarter of his ice time being with one of the players you mentioned in Phillips) .

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This team needs a line brawl. Nothing brings a team together like a good line brawl.

You gotta love the Philly fans, with their team down 7-0 they stand & cheer their team in a line brawl & with Emery pounding Holtby. :laugh:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
"we need to stop rotating our goalies!"

"We should do what Toronto is doing."

Toronto rotates their goaltenders.

Yes, i know i contradicted myself there. Lehner played a good game yesturday. If it wasn't for the team in front of him leaving him out to dry, we could have won. What his his reward ? To get benched.

burf

Mar 27, 2012
So far this year MacArthur's consistently been top-10 in CF% among all forwards, despite starting in the offensive zone about half as often as any other person in that top 10. Turris has been top-20 all year, again despite starting in the offensive zone half as often as anyone else in that top 20. They also both start in the defensive zone roughly twice as often as anyone else on that list.

They're absolutely ridiculous possession players.

And yes, corsi is widely accepted as the best proxy for possession in hockey, and it has been for years now.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Gonchar sucked for most of the 3 years he was a Senator.

He played ok last season.

Now he's the glue that held the D together?

Please. :laugh:

Didn't really want to participate in this thread and only read a few posts but... If you think that it's because :

- you really lack hockey understanding

or

- you have really unrealistic standards

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I see what I see, if he's in the corner he's not coming out with the puck. If he is skating already with the puck on the half boards he's usually fine with puck possession, but just don't expect him to win any actual 1 on 1 battles. That being said, he's been a fine signing, every player has their flaws, I'm just pointing out what I think Macarthur's are. There are definitely a lot more players you can chastise before him. It's when you have a team full of Macarthur's in the corner is when it becomes the problem.

So there obviously has to be a problem as to why we never have the puck, and why we give up 50-60 shots in half our games.

Of course, if corsi is actually a legitimate statistic, you have more proof than I.

No they aren't, HF boards talks about them all the time but I think that's the extent of it.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata

If by legit you mean tracked by some sort of official source, then no, they aren't. That said they are pretty reliable. MacArthur has started in the defensive zone for almost 70% of his shifts, and has a corsi on of 22.06 (highest on the team) meaning for every sixty minutes he is on the ice, there are 22.06 more attempted shot attempts for than against.

That being said, numbers don't account for everything, so yes, while he may lose one on one battles fairly often, he clearly recovers more often than not (or for whatever reason you have some sort of confirmaton bias towards his puck battles). I can't say I've noticed an issue with his one on one battles but I could be wrong.

I don't see how that's a knock against him... His team sucks at possession and he doesn't.

As I said before, 70% D zone starts, 22.06 corsi on. That's a quality possession player right there (best on the team right now).

Also worth noting, MarArthur had the highest corsi on, and the highest corsi relative on the leafs last year, who are known for their anti-possession style of play...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad