This team needs a shakeup

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Boroweicki is on a one way contract next year. Wouldn't mind him getting some games in, especially because he is a more defensive minded player

Imagine Cowen and Gryba in one. For all wrong reasons. Next year could be different story but Boro no where near ready now.

Not here to troll.. just asking why you guys are giving up 45 shots a game? You guys played so well last year through all the injuries.. now with all ur stars back, you guys are worst then last year?

over confidence?
bad luck?

what's the problem?

It's very simple. People here are mostly overreacting. Last year this team was giving up 33ish shots per game yet we were 2nd in league defensively etc...

It's due to two very weak and very ineffective defensive pairings that have dragged this team down in terms of break-out ability and communication with forwards.

The loss of Gonchar really hurt this team and Methot not playing as stellar as he did last year. Gryba suffering from sophomore slump. Cowen recovering from major injury(haven't played in over a year)

Not to mention Karlsson hasn't been anything to write home about defensively although he is the least of our problems.

The problem is not extensive nor do I expect it to be permanent.

There some passengers on this team as well but mostly of the bottom 6 variety which we hold a plethora of so that should sort out soon.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Imagine Cowen and Gryba in one. For all wrong reasons. Next year could be different story but Boro no where near ready now.

It's very simple. People here are mostly overreacting. Last year this team was giving up 33ish shots per game yet we were 2nd in league defensively etc...

It's due to two very weak and very ineffective defensive pairings that have dragged this team down in terms of break-out ability and communication with forwards.

The loss of Gonchar really hurt this team and Methot not playing as stellar as he did last year. Gryba suffering from sophomore slump. Cowen recovering from major injury(haven't played in over a year)

Not to mention Karlsson hasn't been anything to write home about defensively although he is the least of our problems.

The problem is not extensive nor do I expect it to be permanent.

There some passengers on this team as well but mostly of the bottom 6 variety which we hold a plethora of so that should sort out soon.

I think gonchar is being overrated right now. He is currently has 0 goals 1 assist and 1 point and is a -5. Does that still seem like a player that would help the sens out? Some stars fans even want him out.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think gonchar is being overrated right now. He is currently has 0 goals 1 assist and 1 point and is a -5. Does that still seem like a player that would help the sens out? Some stars fans even want him out.

You don't get me, read my respond to some guy who said we miss Gonchar in Post game thread.

I was saying Gonchar played Norris like caliber defense last year which really stabilized our defense on one pairing while Methot was playing like a top pairing defender on another.

I never said we miss him, I said his loss, aka the presence he had, is severely missed.

Karlsson should get back there and beyond but we would also need another defender to help on the 2nd pairing.

Gonchar now sucks, no diff between him and Corvo. You'll see on Sunday.

John Holmes*

Gonchar sucked for most of the 3 years he was a Senator.

He played ok last season.

Now he's the glue that held the D together?

Please. :laugh:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Gonchar sucked for most of the 3 years he was a Senator.

He played ok last season.

Now he's the glue that held the D together?

Please. :laugh:

Again... not what I said. I said he was excellent on one pairing while Methot was also excellent on another which made our defense respectable and effective.

Also, you are underrating the season Gonchar had last year. He was horrrific in the playoffs but had Norris caliber contending season during regular season.

His best year of the three and couldn't be more timely. I'm saying this as someone who consistently ragged on Gonchar.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Again... not what I said. I said he was excellent on one pairing while Methot was also excellent on another which made our defense respectable and effective.

Also, you are underrating the season Gonchar had last year. He was horrrific in the playoffs but had Norris caliber contending season during regular season.

His best year of the three and couldn't be more timely. I'm saying this as someone who consistently ragged on Gonchar.

For a 15 game stretch he was good. Other than that same old gonchar.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
For a 15 game stretch he was good. Other than that same old gonchar.

Most important stretch.

Just like when all our major players went down in 2009-2010 and Kovalev went on a tear through 20 games and it was that stretch which propelled us into the playoffs.

Everyone is missing my point. I'm the farthest thing from a Gonchar fan. I'm explaining the instrument behind the great defensive team last year not whether Gonchar is great or not.

PablitoArg

Dec 27, 2009
Ottawa
we tend to forget that we lost 4 players that drove possession (Silfverberg, Alfy, Regin, Gonchar)

Talk trash about Regin all you want, but the kid drove possession. As did Silfverberg... Thats what we've been lacking. We can't establish two shifts with pressure on the other team, because we find ourselves running around in our own zone.

On top of that, we can't win face-offs... of course odds are we're going to lose

we can't even tank the season if it continues to go badly, we gave away our 1st round pick !!

Ben Bishop for Conacher is looking like a terrible trade so far... insult to injury

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Gonchar and alfy. They are both amazing in all areas. If we had these 2 studs right now we would be swimming in gravy.

John Holmes*

Gonchar was nowhere near Norris caliber at any time during his tenure in Ottawa.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
No one is talking about benoit. He would have helped more than gonchar right now. He'd probably be playing a solid 22 mins a night for us.

Tim murray told him at the end of his first season that he was excellent in every game he played. Bingo and ottawa.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
All this talk of missing Alfie is total nonsense. These guys are professionals that have a ton of experience together and without Alfredsson. Bobby Ryan is a better player than Alfredsson is...hell, MacArthur has been better than Alfredsson. The reality is that this defence is NOT playing well. Management took a gamble that Phillips wouldn't decline further, and that Cowen/Wiercioch/Gryba could tow the line. The reality is that Cowen is awful, Wiercioch needs to be more sheltered and Phillips just isn't a top 4 defender anymore.

The forwards need to backcheck a little more, but realistically this team should be doing better than it is and it has nothing to do with Alfredsson. What a load of dung.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Alfie plays the puck possession game way better than Macarthur, he's also better without the puck. I'm not complaining about Mac, he is what he is, but Alfie has many more "intangibles." Macarthur in the corners is bleh, he's bumped off pretty easily.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Alfie plays the puck possession game way better than Macarthur, he's also better without the puck. I'm not complaining about Mac, he is what he is, but Alfie has many more "intangibles." Macarthur in the corners is bleh, he's bumped off pretty easily.

Alfie has many intangibles, notably that he is slow and can't keep up anymore. Mac doesn't have that one!

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Alfie has many intangibles, notably that he is slow and can't keep up anymore. Mac doesn't have that one!

Mac is definitely faster, but Alfie is/was a god in the corners, we're absolutely terrible in the corners so far. Well we were good for an entire 2 minutes of the first period last game.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Come on - MacArthur is no Alfie right now or ever. That's ridiculous IMO. Alfie is better in every part of the game.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
Come on - MacArthur is no Alfie right now or ever. That's ridiculous IMO. Alfie is better in every part of the game.

Sorry ant wrong. I was at the Sens Wings game. Alfie is living off his fame floating around waiting for Pavel and Henrik set him up for open shots in the slot. Macarthur is a young whipper snapper with wheels and good at cycling the puck, also has a lot to prove at his time in his career. Ofcourse he is no Alfie, but at this time in their respective careers I would take MacArthur.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Prime Alfie >>> than Mac, but there is no doubt that right now Mac is a better player. He has actually been one of our most consistent forwards this year. All the new guys have been great Ryan, Mac, even Corvo has played his role well. It's all the guys that have been here for a while that suck.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree. Alfie, and the wings, sucked that night - yes. But that was 60 min.

I like Mac - but no way.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Maybe in his prime. MacArthur is destroying Alfredsson this year in pretty much every facet except scoring goals. But he has Ryan and Turris for that so I really don't mind.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
You know, MacArthur is playing a style that resembles post prime Alfredsson. If he gains the zone, more often than not he skates up to the half wall and curls out, waiting for the play to develop, a la Alfredsson.

He'll switch it up and cut into the middle and dish it every once in a while, or he'll carry it around the perimeter behind the net, like he did on his goal last night.

It's rare to see him crash the net with the puck, although when he did it against Chicago, it was deceptive and resulted in an assist.

When he doesn't have the puck in the offensive zone, he likes to sift out to the slot and prepare for one timers.

He's obviously got better wheels in open ice, and is the inferior cycler to what Alfredsson was. But to me, there is a comparison to be made.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
we tend to forget that we lost 4 players that drove possession (Silfverberg, Alfy, Regin, Gonchar)

Talk trash about Regin all you want, but the kid drove possession. As did Silfverberg... Thats what we've been lacking. We can't establish two shifts with pressure on the other team, because we find ourselves running around in our own zone.

On top of that, we can't win face-offs... of course odds are we're going to lose

we can't even tank the season if it continues to go badly, we gave away our 1st round pick !!

Ben Bishop for Conacher is looking like a terrible trade so far... insult to injury

Hahahahaha :laugh:

Do you only watch the statsheet or something?

What planet are you living on? A horrible trade for one of the few players that actually show up every day :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad